VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
Bronco Sport is for people who want a small SUV like an Escape but want something more rugged/interesting in an otherwise pretty boring class of vehicle. IMO injecting some Bronco cool factor into this class is a brilliant move.
Agreed. It's the rugged/interesting factor that makes me like Jeep's Trailhawk trim.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Does anybody like the Renegade???
There are people out there. I have a friend who has an AWD non-Trailhawk version and it's taken several of the easy to moderate trails around here. It did surprisingly well for a little eco off roader. He also takes it out hunting and fishing so it has a lot of gravel road driving and nothing has fallen off. :laugh: You do see some of the Italianess of it sometimes. For instance, you need two different tools to get to the cabin filter (torx and socket) where nearly all newish cars you can do it with no tools.

The Bronco Sport is for those type of people. They don't want a hardcore offroader but want it to look a little tough and handle some bumpy roads while still be comfortable on the pavement. So pretty much most of the CUV people out there. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'd say context is important. They weren't complaining about the presence of plastic, but more that the plastic in many areas of the car is hard and cheap feeling. The plastic that surrounds the HVAC controls doesn't have to be the most brittle feeling plastic possible.
Yeah, I didn't watch any Escape reviews but was more generally speaking about car reviews.

·
Registered
34,891 Posts
Agreed. It's the rugged/interesting factor that makes me like Jeep's Trailhawk trim.
It's unclear if Ford plans to keep TFL Truck banned through 2021 as well (all over merely reporting on a picture of a shift knob in the Bronco before Ford announced it) but it would be pretty nice to see the Cherokee Trailhawk against the top Bronco Sport. The Trailhawk has a traditional locking rear diff and the Bronco Sport has a clutch-based limited slip that can supposedly fully lock the clutches giving effectively a locked rear diff. Sure, both can hit $40k or so but as has been pointed out, both are a ton more paved road suited than the main Bronco or Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It’s a fine competitor in the huge-selling CUV class that leans a bit more outdoorish alongside the Cherokee.

Nothing wrong with it.
Exactly. Just like the Cherokee is a better on-road vehicle in every way than a Wrangler, the Bronco Sport is the CUV with boxy styling and some butchy intentions for those that don't want the very car-like Escape, and unless the interior space is substantially smaller, the better vehicle for actual use.

Frankly its a good combo, the Escape can go full-modern (i believe a Escape ST is in the works as well) and leave behind trying to cater to two different demos, while the Bronco can chase Wrangler sales.

·
Registered
83,165 Posts

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
It's unclear if Ford plans to keep TFL Truck banned through 2021 as well (all over merely reporting on a picture of a shift knob in the Bronco before Ford announced it) but it would be pretty nice to see the Cherokee Trailhawk against the top Bronco Sport. The Trailhawk has a traditional locking rear diff and the Bronco Sport has a clutch-based limited slip that can supposedly fully lock the clutches giving effectively a locked rear diff. Sure, both can hit $40k or so but as has been pointed out, both are a ton more paved road suited than the main Bronco or Wrangler.
I have a feeling Car and Driver (and MotorTrend :rolleyes:) will do a test if TFL Truck doesn't.

·
Registered
19,727 Posts
The Cherokee also has an actual 2:92:1 low range in its PTU. They'll probably end up being similarly capable but the Cherokee will probably be more civilized about it, just using mechanics instead of clutch packs and clamping the rotors.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,725 Posts
I am interested in that trunk bike rack thing. I think it would be a great city compromise vehicle with similar fuel economy to a CX-5.

·
Registered
34,891 Posts
I have a feeling Car and Driver (and MotorTrend :rolleyes:) will do a test if TFL Truck doesn't.
Car and Driver doesn't do videos though and for offroaders, video tells the story better than written articles can. As someone who loves the written word, I wish it wasn't this way, but it is. As much as I hate TFL Roman in particular, the TFL guys have probably one of the best arrangements going for pitting serious offroaders against each other in the real world and not just doing roller tests (though they do those too, and I will simply never be sold on roller tests as relevant in the real world). MotorTrend will probably review it too, but their Head 2 Head show hasn't had a new episode in at least a year and in general their video content only goes live 3-6 months after they've actually filmed. TFL Truck had fast, like a couple days turnaround, as you'd expect for a youtube publication.

They've also been testing crossovers for years now and I feel they've gone about it in a very honest way, not just doing only flat dirt roads or exclusively a hardcore trail where they just stop 50 feet in and say "Well, this is why you need a real offroader with lockers."

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
Car and Driver doesn't do videos though and for offroaders, video tells the story better than written articles can. As someone who loves the written word, I wish it wasn't this way, but it is. As much as I hate TFL Roman in particular, the TFL guys have probably one of the best arrangements going for pitting serious offroaders against each other in the real world and not just doing roller tests (though they do those too, and I will simply never be sold on roller tests as relevant in the real world). MotorTrend will probably review it too, but their Head 2 Head show hasn't had a new episode in at least a year and in general their video content only goes live 3-6 months after they've actually filmed. TFL Truck had fast, like a couple days turnaround, as you'd expect for a youtube publication.

They've also been testing crossovers for years now and I feel they've gone about it in a very honest way, not just doing only flat dirt roads or exclusively a hardcore trail where they just stop 50 feet in and say "Well, this is why you need a real offroader with lockers."
Fair. :beer:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
These "hairdressers" seem to have taken the Sport where most men won't.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/20/2021-ford-bronco-sport-wins-class-rebelle-rally/
So you want to shake off the image of a hairdresser's car by posting a pic of a hairdresser's car at a not-a-race, race, where men are prohibited from competing? :D As a gladiator owner, make no mistake-- I will be passive-aggressively calling these hairdresser cars within earshot of the owners. It will happen. You can't will it away. A miata is a miata is a miata. This is a real vehicle in a real race-- the lady's edition Bronco wouldn't make it here, but I suspect a Bronco might.

·
Registered
34,891 Posts
This is a real vehicle in a real race-- the lady's edition Bronco wouldn't make it here, but I suspect a Bronco might.
This is the fallacy of "because something better exists, everything lesser is trash." The Bronco Sport isn't made to do the 5/5 rated rock crawling trails in Moab, it's designed to get you a lot farther offroad than any FWD and most AWD mini crossovers can while still being comfortable, versatile, and efficient in everyday operation. On paper it appears the only similar CUV that can even compete is the AWD version of the Cherokee. Again though, AWD isn't even standard on the Cherokee and I've driven the FWD version: it sucks on even damp paved roads. Since the Bronco Sport is only available with AWD, it's got an automatic traction advantage over probably 80% of all CUVs sold just from that alone.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,204 Posts

·
Registered
14,914 Posts
Hell no

·
Registered
38,962 Posts
I've wondered about this, too. Jeep has done well with the less-expensive Liberty/Renegade/Compass because of #Jeeplife

AIs #BroncoLife strong enough at this point to support another model?

41 - 60 of 97 Posts