VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the fluids checked in my car today and the guy told me that my tranny fluid was bad. He showed me a drop of this dark brown liquid and said it should be clear. But tranny fluid isn't clear is it? So I am thinking maybe he meant the diff fluid. Does anyone know how to change either of these?
Josh

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Anyone know how to change Differential fluid? (Supercharged VR6)

No...did I just parade my ignorance once again?
Josh

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Re: Anyone know how to change Differential fluid? (vwgti303)

On your manaul transmission the tranny and differential share the same lubricant. Which is more than likely 90 W gear grease. And it's supposed to be brown colored.
Sounds to me like someone was trying to make an extra buck or two off of you.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

transaxle lubricant?,
I just did mine, manual
you need 2.1qts(2 liters), used mobil sae 75w90 synthetic gear oil
for automatic transaxle, fluid & filter change 3.2 qts(3 liters)
final drive, automatic transaxle 0.79 qts .75 liters

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Anyone know how to change Differential fluid? (omllenado)

Is that stuff clear? The liquid he showed me was brown, but was grainy and dirty, not a solid color like grease. It definetly looked dirty to me.
So I guess all I need now is to be shown how to do this, I have a feeling it's kind of a pain the a$$...
On a side note the car has over 40k and I am pretty sure the tranny fluid has never been changed. I guess that's not really a side note.
Josh

Modified by vwgti303 at 4:20 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

it's really easy, you just need the nut tool something to remove the drain plug.
1.remove drain plug at diferential portion of the case and allow the lubricant to drain into a pan.
2. reinstall the plug and tighten
3. remove fill plug from side of the transmission case. fill transmission with lubricant until it reasches the bottom edge of the hole.
4. reinstall plug and tighten.
drive for a short distance then check for leakage.
mobil synthetic gear oil $6-7/qts x2
transmission drain plug nut $3
less than $20 total.

Modified by omllenado at 4:33 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
easy DIY.. Goto sears get that big allen wrench for the drain and filler holes. Get some Redline MT90 (good stuff), drain out old fluid completely (big allen bolt in bottom of tranny easy to find) take out filler bolt on front side so air can get in while draining, put drain plug back in , use tubing to get to filler hole and add fluid. If your 40K manual tranny has dirt and grit in there thats odd.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

I would recommend the Stock VW fluid, comes in a can labled G500. It is synthetic and says it is 75-90w, but when you pour it out, it is the viscosity of 10 weight oil, very thin. It is great for cold weather shifting like we have in the Rockies at altitude. It costs me like 17 bucks a quart. It takes two cans, each is a litre.
On the A1 AND A2's I pull the speedo cable and pour it into the trans with a funnel, much easier than trying to pump it into the side of the trans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts