VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Golf R White w/Manual Transmission
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious: Is anyone postponing their decision to buy a new Golf R until the 2023 model year to see if VW brings back any real knobs and buttons?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Going to take more than a year IF they actually do it. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: TBONE32

·
Registered
286 Posts
They aren’t going to switch back in a single year.
I also don’t really get what the issue is. The only button I actually use in my current car is the seat heaters.

My car doesn’t have an actual volume knob and it’s touch up or down on the infotainment is an absolute nightmare. I use the volume controls on the steering wheel. I did this in my previous car which did still have a volume knob.

I know not everyone used the car features like I do - but this whole outcry over knobs and buttons is bonkers. Especially since that’s all anyone can talk about in their reviews.

·
Registered
2022 Golf R White w/Manual Transmission
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also don’t really get what the issue is. The only button I actually use in my current car is the seat heaters.

My car doesn’t have an actual volume knob and it’s touch up or down on the infotainment is an absolute nightmare. I use the volume controls on the steering wheel. I did this in my previous car which did still have a volume knob.

I know not everyone used the car features like I do - but this whole outcry over knobs and buttons is bonkers. Especially since that’s all anyone can talk about in their reviews.
I agree with you and have a 2022 R on order. I'm just curious given that every review I've read pans the capacitive touch system. At the same time, most reviewers never mention the voice command options or the fact that you can customize and create your own selections on the touchscreen. I think after people get used to it it will be much ado about nothing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with you and have a 2022 R on order. I'm just curious given that every review I've read pans the capacitive touch system. At the same time, most reviewers never mention the voice command options or the fact that you can customize and create your own selections on the touchscreen. I think after people get used to it it will be much ado about nothing.
This.

After living with my 2022 R for about a week, I've figured out how to operate everything smoothly. I even use the voice commands, something I never thought I'd do.

Oh, and the reviewers complaining about turning on the heated steering wheel while driving? I tried to intentionally do that and couldn't. I have no idea what they're doing wrong. Maybe they all have fat hands?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't think this will be a big problem, even now on my 7.5 I use the steering wheel buttons when I change the volume and I cannot take my eyes off the road.
I remember some while back it was an option to have a wired remote for the media unit that you could install it next to the hand brake, so you would be able to use without looking.
Maybe something like that will be an option for people that really need it.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Same here. My car (2018 Mazda CX-9) has a touchscreen, volume knob, and steering wheel buttons. Between my wife and I, we literally never touch the screen for anything once out of park, and use the steering wheel for everything we need - volume, next/previous, and voice control. I showed my wife (the R will be her daily driver) the reviews where they actually use voice control and shortcuts, and she was relieved!
It’s good context to remember that VW isn’t only thinking about the audience that used to buy the R’s (and older cars in general), they’re also thinking of the next generation of drivers.

Every time I read a comment like “I won’t buy it because of the lack of buttons, even though I’ve never tried it,” I laugh and say OK, more for us. Does anyone really expect VW to go backwards?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very picky about my material choices, and was product manager for industrial equipment where we went from physical buttons to touch screens. And just about every customer that said “I’ll never try or get used to the new way” eventually found out that yes, it actually is much better when not approached with pure hostility from the outset.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This.

After living with my 2022 R for about a week, I've figured out how to operate everything smoothly. I even use the voice commands, something I never thought I'd do.

Oh, and the reviewers complaining about turning on the heated steering wheel while driving? I tried to intentionally do that and couldn't. I have no idea what they're doing wrong. Maybe they all have fat hands?
re : seat heating - its muscle memory from driving other cars, that position is used for other things. I have brought my thumb up and hit it more than once trying to do another function that my other cars have in that place.

I really do not know why the seat heater button needed to be in that prominent a position tbh, especially when it can be set in the heating system controls as a default at x temp turn seats on… 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
440 Posts
They aren't going to change. Does an iPhone have more buttons now than it did when the first one came out? Oops, even less. Get off my lawn!

However, 2023 is the 20th anniversary of the R32, so I do suspect that we'll get a red one, which is kind of tempting to wait for. But who am I kidding, I'll take my blue manual as soon as it gets here.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
They aren't going to change. Does an iPhone have more buttons now than it did when the first one came out? Oops, even less. Get off my lawn!
I distinctly remember complaining when a previous employer switched us all from Blackberries to iPhones 10 years ago...because of my ability to type much faster with a hard button qwerty keyboard

That seems so stupid now......

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 7.5 Golf R and a new MK8 GTI Autobahn. I don't have an emotional stake in this, but I've adapted to the touch screens 100%, don't see any issues other than different ways of accessing controls. Of course, there are some improvements I would personally have done different like one touch controls to turn traction control on/off like I have in my MK7.5 Golf R

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
The iPhone analogy is ridiculous. You don't have to operate your iPhone while driving your car (though some people do, but that's another rant). They aren't going to change? Did you miss that Honda, Ford and others have already tried this, had MASSIVE backlash from their customer base, and relented and returned many controls to conventional knobs/buttons/dials?

VW is almost certainly working on fixing this crap right now.

·
Registered
104 Posts

However, 2023 is the 20th anniversary of the R32, so I do suspect that we'll get a red one, which is kind of tempting to wait for. But who am I kidding, I'll take my blue manual as soon as it gets here.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think by 2024 at most, there will not be any ICE Golf platforms. Western governments and corporations drank the Red Koolaid of "climate change" long ago, and it looks like there is no turning back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The iPhone analogy is ridiculous. You don't have to operate your iPhone while driving your car (though some people do, but that's another rant). They aren't going to change? Did you miss that Honda, Ford and others have already tried this, had MASSIVE backlash from their customer base, and relented and returned many controls to conventional knobs/buttons/dials?

VW is almost certainly working on fixing this crap right now.
No they're not. Ford and Honda aren't driving the future of the automotive industry, players like Tesla and Rivian are. And the Model 3 doesn't have any physical buttons. VW isn't going to follow Ford and Honda's lead; they're FAR more likely to follow Tesla's lead, as the innovation in the industry is coming from them, not the traditional players.

When the steering wheel, pedals and turn-signals are moved to haptic buttons, you might have something to complain about. But touchscreens in cars are no longer the future of the industry; they are the present.

Patrick

·
Registered
104 Posts
No they're not. Ford and Honda aren't driving the future of the automotive industry, players like Tesla and Rivian are. And the Model 3 doesn't have any physical buttons. VW isn't going to follow Ford and Honda's lead; they're FAR more likely to follow Tesla's lead, as the innovation in the industry is coming from them, not the traditional players.

When the steering wheel, pedals and turn-signals are moved to haptic buttons, you might have something to complain about. But touchscreens in cars are no longer the future of the industry; they are the present.

Patrick
Other advantages I see with this design is

• Button labels cannot fade
  • no moving parts to wear out
  • maintenance/replacement is easy
  • configurable via software

I may be wrong about the maintenance...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm postponing my purchase not because of the infotainment but rather to avoid dealer markups and supply constraints. I actually look forward to using the infotainment just to see "if it's really that bad" LOL
We were lucky to buy a MK8 Autobahn with no markups, but I'm on the hunt for MK8 Golf R and from what I'm sensing is may not be that lucky this time. Since I already have a sweet low milage MK7.5 Golf R, I can afford to wait, or not buy one at all. That way I can do some tuning to it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
In many cases it is likely due to the default climate control settings that will turn on the heated seats and steering wheel based on the temperature.

And agreed - over 1,500 miles on my car and never once have I hit this. The only thing I have accidentally done twice is hit the ACC button in the lower right when adjusting the volume.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts