VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking how whimpy the stock Civic horn is. I wanted to put something else in there. I would really like to put in a Toyota Tundra horn because those are sweet but its not like its an easy item to come by and even with my employee discount its too much to spend on something stupid. What is a cheaper horn that sounds louder and meaner? I always hear Cadillac horns sound awesome but I don't think I've ever even heard one. I don't want to buy a horn and have no idea what it sounds like. So if any of you guys have any junkyard or auto parts store horns you put in than chime in.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Re: Anyone put a different horn in your car? (FourthGenHatch)

I tossed the stock horns on the Miata for a FIAMM Highway Blaster horn from Pep Boys. Simple install and very inexpensive.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts

put one of those italian sports car horns in it!

·
Premium Member
11,127 Posts
Re: Anyone put a different horn in your car? (mx5er)

I put a single air horn (with compressor) in my old Sidekick when the original horn gave up the ghost. It was better, in a Ferrari kind of way.
Don't be afraid- Cadillac horns are awesome.

·
Registered
3 old cars
4,330 Posts
Re: (ramadoss)

I've got those too, but I think one is wonky or something because I get this mean low sounding horn and a ridiculous secondary (higher, cutesy sounding horn). I should probably be less lazy and investigate this problem.

Modified by MkIII at 7:24 PM 5-17-2004

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (ramadoss)

Quote, originally posted by ramadoss »
I've got these sitting in the back seat waiting to be installed.

Are those just regular horns? Not air? That is something I like.
I don't want an air horn because I don't want them to take up any more space than my stock ones take up.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re:

I think I found the ones I will get, these look just like the Tundra and Camry horns so I'm sure they sound some what similar.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Re: Re: (a8man)

Here's what I've done to two differnent cars. Go to the junkyard and start pulling horns. Many of them will have the pitch stamped on the plastic part somewhere. I know that GM horns are usually tuned in F, A, and C, with an occasional D. Some foreign horns also use the same tuning. The trick here is to match up the horns into a nice chord. I recommend D, F, A, and C together. I put 4 horns in the GF's Altima with a separate relay and in-line fuse and now it's loud as sh!t and sounds great. The best part is that it costs very little to do it this way. I also recommend that you test the horns out before leaving the junkyard (bring some extra wire to hook up to the battery) to make sure they work and that the pitch is right. You can buy some metal and make your own custom bracket, complete with wiring harnesses. That's what I did and the install looks really smooth.

Modified by IJM at 11:38 PM 5-17-2004

·
Registered
803 Posts
Re: (FourthGenHatch)

Quote, originally posted by FourthGenHatch »
Are those just regular horns? Not air? That is something I like.
I don't want an air horn because I don't want them to take up any more space than my stock ones take up.

Yes, regular horns. 118dB and you can get them from Griots Garage. I've heard them on a friends old VW and they are LOUD!!! They are only slightly bigger than the stockers.

·
Registered
19,458 Posts

I had a 1976 Toyota pickup with an Inline-6 cyl and 5 speed. It was a little rocket. And by little, I mean: it shared front clip and dashboard with the Celica

I bought it used. It was "49ers Red". Really nice, with a sporty looking Celica front end. Oh, and an "OOGA" horn http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
You hold the buttin down and this airhorn spins up and goes:
"oooogggggaah gah gahh"... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
21,996 Posts
Re: Anyone put a different horn in your car? (PsyberVW)

2 hella air horns each with a dedicated compressor and the stock mkiv "low" tone horn.
it melts pavement and kills old people.
i love it.
http://www.rallylights.com for killer hella pricing.

Modified by rockit at 5:32 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
21,996 Posts
Re: Re: (vw86gti)

Quote, originally posted by vw86gti »
139 DB

its actually 115db.
most horn decibels are measured from 6 feet. the 139 is measured from 4 feet.
either way its loud. im ordering one for my mini today. that thing NEEDS a loud horn.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Re: Re: (rockit)

Hella Supertones - and they're hooked up to the alarm too. Had them in my WRX too - a buddy bumped the WRX one day by the front bumper and set the alarm off - he still swears he has hearing loss!

Highly reccomended - people will think they're about to get run over by a truck when you hit the button!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts