VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have the pitting problem, but I just dont like the "shot-peen polish" as much as a really good regular high-polish. I was thinking about stripping my RC's and hand polishing them, then re-clearing them with a high-quality wheel clearcoat. Anyone seen or done this? Pictures would be a big help as to my decision.
I guess the main reason I might do this is because I just dont keep the old RC's as clean as I used to. I used to wash/wax them once a week but this winter I have really slacked on the car washing (I bought a new shifter kart and it has been taking up most of my weekends
) and I am afraid that some pitting may be in my future.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Anyone re-polished their RC's? (86Cressida86)

thank you for that wealth of knowledge.

Im not worried about the time involved. I just want to know if anyone has done it. That way I can assess things like, the quality of the aluminium, the ease of polishing out the shot-peen, etc....

· Registered
563 Posts
Re: Anyone re-polished their RC's? (fowtj)

"shot-peen polish" I think you mean shot peen finish, don't you? As a point of reference (although I'm not sure it matters in this instance) shot peening usually is used to strengthen a material, but anyway....
You would need at least a die grinder and a good amount of time to remove the peening. Then you would need to reapply the clearcoat. I'm not sure what finish or effect you would achieve, but have you considered powder coating? Otherwise, you might be better off selling them and then buying what you really want.

Jim

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Re: Anyone re-polished their RC's? (jbx2)

I now have 2 spare RC's coming up on my 3rd. I'll be looking for a 4th and when that happens I'm also trying to decide what to do with mine.
If anyone does this let me know...

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Anyone re-polished their RC's? (jbx2)

ok... sorry if this comes off a little harsh, but these replies are a little frustrating. I am aware of the benifits of shot-peening, however the process of shot-peening has nothing to do with the fact that our wheels have a finish that has been dubbed a "shot-peen polish." A true polish looks smooth, however ours has some sort of effect, induced either in the way the clear coat was allowed to orange peel (and if you dont know this term, dont respond to reassure me that Florida's finest natural resource had nothing to do with the creation of my car's wheels) or in the way the metal itself was polished.
I have polished wheels before, so I am aware of the time involved. I am also aware that I would need to remove the clearcoat and would be best-advised to reapply after a new polish. However, I am also sure that a die grinder will never enter the equation of stripping the clear coat.
All I want to know is the following:
1) has anyone re-polished thier RC's
2) could I see a picture of said polished RC's if someone has indeed gone this route
3) does anyone think I am crazy/irrational for being a little frustrated by the prior replies

· Registered
563 Posts
Re: Anyone re-polished their RC's? (fowtj)

1) has anyone re-polished thier RC's --- 're-polish' do you mean applied polish subsequent to applying polish? What's with the re-polish? And where did you get the term 'shot peen polish'?
3) does anyone think I am crazy/irrational for being a little frustrated by the prior replies--- No, just rude and unable to express yourself accurately
I never implied that you need a die grinder to cut the clear coat, but you will need to either spend the rest of your troubled life trying to remove the 'peening' by hand without the aid of a mechanical device or admit that the most efficient way to remove the 'peening' would be with a machine(probably a die grinder). What other device would you intend to use to remove the peening, a BFH? Your comments kind of indicate that you either don't understand what you want to achieve or don't have the tools to state your ideas in plain english.
It appears you have a conceptual error or two or three in regards to the finish of the metal, the clear coat and the polish that one might apply to the clear coat. These are three separate concepts.
By the way, why are you so uptight about this? Don't post in a public forum if you can't tolerate the varaible input of the general public. You might want to include a disclaimer requesting only 'advice that you will find useful'

Have a great day or not,
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.