·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Carmax $14,350
KBB $14,447
Vroom $15,340
Shift $15,600

All of the appraisals were done online. I’m hoping when they physically see the car it’s close to what was stated online.

I just want to turn in my lease. I’m trying to minimize driving it. Do I even bother going to the VW dealership?

Thanks!
Carvana and Vroom do not require photos or inspections, Shift will come out and look at the vehicle before finalizing the numbers. You didn't try Carvana?

·
Registered
26,104 Posts
2016 GTI Autobahn PP
39,950 miles
Shift: 19,600
Carvana: 18,919 (not in my market)
ALGo: 18,200
Carmax: Not going there in person (don't have the car handy + don't want some rando inside my car unless necessary)

Not bad. Challenge is, unless there was a killer lease deal on something interesting, why should I take on a car payment again...

·
Vendor
15,417 Posts
Here's a recent datapoint.
2015 Mazda CX5 FWD Grand Touring
39,000 miles, some dings here and there and a comprehensive claim on carfax for a windshield/dash repair.
Carvana offered $11,300
Carmax offered $12,100 (online via the Edmunds estimator)
Volvo dealer where we bought a new XC60 offered $9,300

Needless to say, the next day it went to Carmax and we left with a check for $12,100

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
That's unusual, Carmax usually offers the least of the big 4 (Carmax, Carvana, Shift, Vroom) but the easiest and fastest process. Maybe they are increasing their offers due to competition/shift in used car market

·
Registered
Far East GLI
1,265 Posts
My 09 Corolla XRS manuel had a high estimate of $5,000 from Shift (was $6,000 a month ago) if the car was inspected and approved, and all the other estimates done with Vroom, Carvana and Edmunds were slightly less than $4K.

Being that my Corolla was a stick, I was concerned that no one would want to buy it since beige is easiest to sell, but it turns out that I had two friends that were interested, and I ended up selling it to one of them for more than any of them. I just had to make a short 200 mile trip to sell it off, but I'll be able to see it again. (From So Cal to Nor Cal, where it was made)

·
Vendor
15,417 Posts
Here's a recent datapoint.
2015 Mazda CX5 FWD Grand Touring
39,000 miles, some dings here and there and a comprehensive claim on carfax for a windshield/dash repair.
Carvana offered $11,300
Carmax offered $12,100 (online via the Edmunds estimator)
Volvo dealer where we bought a new XC60 offered $9,300

Needless to say, the next day it went to Carmax and we left with a check for $12,100
2 weeks later, it looks like they cleaned up the CX5, used PDR on dents, some touch up and possibly clearcoat, and listed it for almost $7k more than they paid us. Good for them if they can get that, not even mad:

·
Registered
297 Posts
What does carvana do about damage to a car? Their questionaire is pretty vague about this.

I have a friend looking to sell a one owner 2014 BMW X3 with 61,000 miles. The car has some damage to the front bumper cover and a deep scratch to one of the doors.

I am just wondering if they change the offer on site when they come to pick up the car or how any of that works???

·
Registered
16,328 Posts
What does carvana do about damage to a car? Their questionaire is pretty vague about this.

I have a friend looking to sell a one owner 2014 BMW X3 with 61,000 miles. The car has some damage to the front bumper cover and a deep scratch to one of the doors.

I am just wondering if they change the offer on site when they come to pick up the car or how any of that works???
I believe their offer print allows them to take money off if the vehicle doesn't meet their expectations or condition was misrepresented. my girlfriend traded her Subaru Outback in for a Golf Alltrack and the full quote was honored after they received and inspected the vehicle.

·
Registered
Far East GLI
1,265 Posts
My 09 Corolla XRS manuel had a high estimate of $5,000 from Shift (was $6,000 a month ago) if the car was inspected and approved, and all the other estimates done with Vroom, Carvana and Edmunds were slightly less than $4K.

Being that my Corolla was a stick, I was concerned that no one would want to buy it since beige is easiest to sell, but it turns out that I had two friends that were interested, and I ended up selling it to one of them for more than any of them. I just had to make a short 200 mile trip to sell it off, but I'll be able to see it again. (From So Cal to Nor Cal, where it was made)
Just to follow up. Shift called me yesterday to ask me if I was still interested in selling my car to them. I guess they were really wanted my Corolla but obviously I sold it already but I suppose they are pursuing some deals if they think you're serious to sell.

·
Vendor
15,417 Posts
^ Looks like it also has a fresh set of Laufenns
Ewww. I replaced the stock Toyo's with Pirellis a few years ago when the Toyo's got prematurely loud. The Pirellis worked great and seemed to have a bunch of life left but maybe brand new tires of any kind are a plus for their sales?

·
Registered
64 Posts
With my wife gone to Louisiana for most of the year, back helping her military daughter with a newborn, we thought we'd sell her 2014 Lexus LS460. Amazing car, and I love it, but with another Lexus v8 in the garage (2019 GX460), we really don't need to giants around here. KBB trade in value ranges from low of $25,122 to high of $28,505. Here's the offers I got:

Shift: Lowball of $20,500
Vroom: Mid lowball of $23,595
Carvana: Score! $28,100!

I did all the online uploads of docs at Carvana last night and scheduled my ACH $$ transfer and pick up next week. Easy peasy. Sure I could have tried private party and maybe got $29500, but time is money in my world.

Funny story. This morning my cell rings and it's Shift wanting to know if I'm ready to proceed with their $20,500 offer. I told the nice lady that I was going with Carvana and their offer was nearly $8k higher. Click, the Beeotch hung up on me! Nice job Shift!

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Sold my 2012 Mini Clubman S to Carvana last week. It had 73K miles and was in middling physical condition but drove great. They offered me nearly twice as much as Vroom and the dealer I got my new car from, at $7500. It was insanely easy - I took the quote, gave them my info, scheduled the pickup from my house, and although the driver was a couple hours late, she showed up and just made sure my car was working as advertised before she took it. Got the full quoted money after 2 business days.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Carvana must be beating Vroom lately as I can't avoid their listings on cars.com/autotrader even with the search limited to within 50 miles, very annoying.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I just sold my 2012 Volt with 39k miles to Carvana. I paid $8,100 for it just over a year ago
Carvana: $8,528
KBB Instant Cash Offer: $7,019
Vroom: $6,231
Dealership trade offer: $5,500 (didn't try negotiating since they were so far off Carvana)

It was a great experience, very uneventful. I filled out the form online, then it requests photos of the odometer, title, and your driver's license. I decided to drop it off since they're only 20 minutes from me. I think I only had to sign 3 papers and they handed me a check for the exact amount. The guy working there snapped a picture of the odometer and that was it. Didn't drive it, measure the tire tread or anything.

Compare that to when I sold my car via the KBB instant cash offer. The number they had offered me was good ($500 less than I had paid for that car 2 years prior), but the first dealership went over every inch of the car to find the tiniest scratches and rock chips then concluded they could only give me a couple thousand less than the promised amount.
I said "no thanks" and tried another dealership that did give me the full amount.

·
Registered
64 Posts
With my wife gone to Louisiana for most of the year, back helping her military daughter with a newborn, we thought we'd sell her 2014 Lexus LS460. Amazing car, and I love it, but with another Lexus v8 in the garage (2019 GX460), we really don't need to giants around here. KBB trade in value ranges from low of $25,122 to high of $28,505. Here's the offers I got:

Shift: Lowball of $20,500
Vroom: Mid lowball of $23,595
Carvana: Score! $28,100!

I did all the online uploads of docs at Carvana last night and scheduled my ACH $$ transfer and pick up next week. Easy peasy. Sure I could have tried private party and maybe got $29500, but time is money in my world.

Funny story. This morning my cell rings and it's Shift wanting to know if I'm ready to proceed with their $20,500 offer. I told the nice lady that I was going with Carvana and their offer was nearly $8k higher. Click, the Beeotch hung up on me! Nice job Shift!
Just a quick follow up to my Carvana experience. Flawless the whole way! They set up an appt. for Sunday 1/31 to pick up the LS460. They arrived on time, took a few photos, inspected the car, and had me sign a few docs. 5 mins later they were gone, having left a lockbox with the keys on the LS saying that a flatbed would be by shortly for pickup. An hour later the LS was loaded an gone. The ACH transfer hit my checking account today. Very happy with the whole experience and got a very fair price.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts