VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... I've always been advised to never use the third urethane dogbone bushing because it's prone to failure or vibrates the car like no other. I have my car apart right now and was wondering if anybody does run this bushing in their car???
I've never been a believer in some of the stuff people post up, it's the part of me that believes that everyone means well, but most of the time not knowledgeable about what they are posting. Such as myself : )
I know I would have to cut out the OEM rubber piece's metal jacket so that wouldn't be replaceable. If anybody knows the P/N for this rubber piece that would be very helpful because I'd like to re-fresh that anyway. So I'd probably do the urethane insert and if it doesn't destroy the car then keep it till it fails (along with the RISKY urethane control arm bushings I just put in) then replace with the fresh rubber bushing until I buy a real set of motor mounts to replace my mis-match garbage of now.
I have a fresh set of urethane inserts in, a trans mount with 7k on it MAX (put in Sept. 08 and the car has been off the road for at least 3/4th's of that time) and an original drivers side mount with 96k on it : ) - awesome right!

Modified by Village_Idiot at 5:03 PM 5-29-2009

·
Registered
434 Posts
Re: Anyone run the circular urethane dogbone bushing? (Village_Idiot)

are you changing your dogbone too? let me know how this goes, i'd be interested to see what you find...

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Anyone run the circular urethane dogbone bushing? (kclax44)

Well I already have the two urethane dog bone mounts in, I'm actually on my second set and couldn't imagine driving a car without them. Thinking about going solid : )
Yea I'm going to try this urethane piece, probably will press it in tonight, but the car isn't going to be on the road for a week or two since I'm waiting for parts to rebuild my turbo and a few other things this week... car parts are currently taking up two garage bays if that gives you an idea of what it looks like right now...

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,076 Posts
Re: Anyone run the circular urethane dogbone bushing? (stevemannn)

I didn't because its a PITA and I've heard it increases vibration (versus the other two pieces, which is almost unnoticable). I totally vote for upgrading, it makes the car feel more solid and drive better

·
Registered
636 Posts
Re: Anyone run the circular urethane dogbone bushing? (Village_Idiot)

I have it and have installed for others as well, no problems and not much more vibration. I think the problems for others was due to improper install if you press it in without damage to the bushing you will be fine.
BTW very nice work your doin there on the sub http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by TToxic at 7:59 PM 5-29-2009

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Anyone run the circular urethane dogbone bushing? (TToxic)

Hey thanks for the input guys! Really appreciate it. I'll press it in tomorrow when I'm outside again.
Last night I took the turbo apart into the 10-15 pieces that make up the inernals. Layed them out on the ground in order and I hope that I get it back together correctly! I ordered the $60 dollar Ebay style rebuild kit because I didn't feel like paying $350 for a full rebuild. I marked the compressor wheel and all so I probably won't have to balance it but I've read it's only $65 bucks at this once place if you mail it away and I hope that a local shop I know will match that price and I'll just get it done.
I followed this guide by the way which was pretty helpful when I was hesitant if I was going to break the turbo or not by hitting it with a rubber mallet and using a pry bar to separate it. Also I had to cut 3 of my exhaust housing nuts off and after the heads were cut off the little triangular washers fell off then the bare bolt just twisted right out when the presure was off it. I got super luckey... If you read this guys guide he has a trick to this that I didn't think about. Also I'm lucky because the main turbo shaft is in perfect shape and so are the wheels. After cleaning everything up I'm considering using one of those flexible drill extensions and a coarse small circular wire brush attachment to clean/port (a little) the housings. I know I'm going to do this on the exhaust side just for cleaning, haven't decided anything else yet...
Link to the guide http://vagworld.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=819

1 - 9 of 9 Posts