VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My k04 spewing oil.
So I'm thinking of a bigger replacement. But something small enough to run stock rods on.

I'm just curious what kind of power the gt28 one makes on a 1.8t and at what boost?

·
Registered
1999 Audi A4 Stroker Build in Progress S200SXE, Custom Megasquirt ECU, ABA Forged Crank and more
1,282 Posts
My k04 spewing oil.
So I'm thinking of a bigger replacement. But something small enough to run stock rods on.

I'm just curious what kind of power the gt28 one makes on a 1.8t and at what boost?
You can make 290ish wheel with a gt28rs at around 20psi. Gt2871r 330ish at 20psi. Rod integrity is really based off the tune. A really torque spikey tune can bend rods quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can make 290ish wheel with a gt28rs at around 20psi. Gt2871r 350ish at 20psi. Rod integrity is really based off the tune. A really torque spikey tune can bend rods quick.

Are those genuine gerret #. Or the maxp. I assume the maxp are going to be lower numbers.

How's the spool compared to k04 22

·
Registered
1999 Audi A4 Stroker Build in Progress S200SXE, Custom Megasquirt ECU, ABA Forged Crank and more
1,282 Posts
Are those genuine gerret #. Or the maxp. I assume the maxp are going to be lower numbers.

How's the spool compared to k04 22
Those are garret numbers from atp. Max speeding would be similar if not basically the same. The spool is slightly later than a k04. Both are still small turbos so spool is quick either way.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
For stock engine you might as well go Hybrid KO4 if you're not planning to do rods. Cheaper than doing a GT28 because you wouldn't have to spend money on Exhaust Manifold, Downpipe, Turbo Inlet Pipe etc.

You'd need to pair it with a conservative tune not to bend rods. Like @Daredoole mentioned, spikey graph = bent rods

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
For stock engine you might as well go Hybrid KO4 if you're not planning to do rods. Cheaper than doing a GT28 because you wouldn't have to spend money on Exhaust Manifold, Downpipe, Turbo Inlet Pipe etc.

You'd need to pair it with a conservative tune not to bend rods. Like @Daredoole mentioned, spikey graph = bent rods
I agree 100%

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks. I actually do my own welding, and I have a manifold and dp that I plan on chopping up/welding to fit whatever turbo I go with. hybrids are nice, but a bit too similar to the k0422.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If you’re going with a turbo that requires a different manifold… I wouldn’t play around with something that is only just bigger than most K04s. I’d go with a GT3071r… and maxspeedingrod rods…

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you’re going with a turbo that requires a different manifold… I wouldn’t play around with something that is only just bigger than most K04s. I’d go with a GT3071r… and maxspeedingrod rods…

yes. i'm definitely tempted to go with the gt30.
and yes maxpeedingrods is a ****ty sounding brand name. but if you look into it, then you'll find that they are actually the cheap china brand whos turbos actually last. Much less risky than buying a totally random ebay/amazon turbo. I trust the pulsar brand also but it is much more expensive.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Agreed on all that. I have looked into them both their turbos and their rods. I have just rebuilt my engine and we went on and out their rods in even though I’ll still be on a K04 hybrid. I’ll be ready for something bigger later.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Skip that turbo and brand.
This here is what I reccomend.
USTURBOSYSTEM GTX3071 .63AR Billet wheel, cheap under $300
heres a clip on my STOCK 1.8t engine @ 30psi
Alex on TikTok
Any questions feel free to ask here :)
Why would you tell him to skip that turbo and brand only to suggest the same turbo but from another ebay brand? Admittedly, USTURBOSYSTEMS says they balance the turbo to or beyond OEM spec. I couldn’t find any videos on USTURBOSYSTEMS… but I have watched videos about maxspeedingrods turbos. In those videos, they proved they were actually balanced to better than OEM specs. I don’t know… I’d prefer to go with a company I’ve seen actual proof of.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agreed on all that. I have looked into them both their turbos and their rods. I have just rebuilt my engine and we went on and out their rods in even though I’ll still be on a K04 hybrid. I’ll be ready for something bigger later.

yeah a lot of ppl like their rods. I bought eagle rods instead however because I noticed that mpr rod width leaves a gap under the piston. a
Why would you tell him to skip that turbo and brand only to suggest the same turbo but from another ebay brand? Admittedly, USTURBOSYSTEMS says they balance the turbo to or beyond OEM spec. I couldn’t find any videos on USTURBOSYSTEMS… but I have watched videos about maxspeedingrods turbos. In those videos, they proved they were actually balanced to better than OEM specs. I don’t know… I’d prefer to go with a company I’ve seen actual proof of.

well i'm open to new suggestions. I'll definetely add usturbosystems to the "good list" of cheapo turbos.
but as mentioned, maxpeedingrods are community vetted. i'll have to do some digging to prove that the usturbosystems are good.

One guys positive recommendation doesn't really prove it because even the worst brand has a good batch of turbos. So one out of 3 people will be very happy. but then the other 2 get a blown turbo in a month...

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
Nunna this thread makes sense to me. Why strap on a quick spooling turbo just to water it down with a "conservative" tune? Wasn't this dude just talkin about 1000hp builds the other day?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Nunna this thread makes sense to me. Why strap on a quick spooling turbo just to water it down with a "conservative" tune? Wasn't this dude just talkin about 1000hp builds the other day?
Pretty sure it was 900 though… truth is the chances are much better for him to actually build it with one of these turbos that’ve been talked about…

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Pretty sure it was 900 though… truth is the chances are much better for him to actually build it with one of these turbos that’ve been talked about…

Badger5 just finished up a 1.8T build on an Audi S3 8L. 2.1L Stroker engine, Garrett G30-770, 1260cc injectors and direct port Water/Meth injection. Made 642whp and 516wtq.

650whp in a (basically) FWD Haldex car is just bonkers, how much more 900whp. For 900whp you'd have to strap a Huge turbo to it and rev it to the moon to get that magical number. Full boost by what? 6000rpm?
That G30 Stroker saw 2.2 Bar (32psi for my American friends) of boost by 5500rpm.

You're better off doing a VR6 swap if you want 900whp. Easier to squeeze 900whp out of a VR6 than 1.8T

And even then, no way you're going to get magical whp numbers if you don't throw a bunch of money at it

Can't forget, you're going to need to upgrade the axles and gearbox. People have stripped 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear under 400whp.
I snapped axles with 240whp and 310wtq, how much more 400+whp?

What I'm trying to say is, either way you're going to have to throw a lot of money at the car/engine. Once you finish Stage 2 and start swapping out the turbo, that's where the money pit begins.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I was just saying that tons of folks have talked about their plans and never actually did anything. “What’s the best way to make 900hp?” Receives lots of response… then doesn’t do anything “because reasons”

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man. Why people gotta thrive on negativity so much.
Yes I am building a stroker big hp motor.
That is gonna take time. This thread is to throw a cheapo turbo into my current car while I build the big hp motor in the background.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

You are totally right. I am pretty dead set on a China turbo for both builds. The money saved on China parts is the single factor that makes it possible to go for it fully.
But thats why I'm always asking questions. Gotta get the "safer" China brands

1 - 20 of 63 Posts