VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of swapping a TT .276 cam in with my new head - I love my HOR .270, but was wondering how much more power I can wring out of my engine with the .276....and what I'd lose in the low end. Since I'm getting the head fully worked, I was figuring a fairly aggressive cam would work well......thoughts, comments?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: Anyone running a TT .276 cam? (VW97Jetta)

Holy bisket lover batman.. that's a lot of duration. Especially when compairing it to the hor270 (tt266). Personally, I would think it's a bit much for a street driven vehicle, especially if it's a daily driver. You would probably be better off in a tt272, and more people would be able to give you their opinions on how it operates on the street.

·
Registered
60 Posts

VW97Jetta,
I am running the TT 276 presently on a 2.0L ABA with a ported non-cross flow head in an 85 Scirocco(CIS). I previously used a TT 268 cam. In this application, I really did not detect a loss of bottom end torque, but the jump in HP on the ported head was very nice indeed.
TT list the following gains for these cams on non ported heads: 266= 5-6 HP, 268= 6-7 HP and the 276= 10HP. They only list the 276 application for CIS and CIS-E. The 266 and 268 are listed for OBD1 and OBD2 application. Ask them about the 276 in the 97 Jetta.
BTW.... send me a note regarding what you ended up with for compression.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Anyone running a TT .276 cam? (Sean Henderson)

quote:[HR][/HR]VW97Jetta,
I am running the TT 276 presently on a 2.0L ABA with a ported non-cross flow head in an 85 Scirocco(CIS). I previously used a TT 268 cam. In this application, I really did not detect a loss of bottom end torque, but the jump in HP on the ported head was very nice indeed.
TT list the following gains for these cams on non ported heads: 266= 5-6 HP, 268= 6-7 HP and the 276= 10HP. They only list the 276 application for CIS and CIS-E. The 266 and 268 are listed for OBD1 and OBD2 application. Ask them about the 276 in the 97 Jetta.
BTW.... send me a note regarding what you ended up with for compression. [HR][/HR]​
Sounds good....how bad is the idle? Mine's not too bad right now. I saw TT's cam chart with the HP listings....just not sure if I want to spend $300 (cam and lifters) for around 5HP - that's about the only thing holding me back at this point.
I talked to Momentum, and told them to nix the compression bump. I'd rather spend the extra money getting the flow adjusted perfectly than possibly mess up my engine...

·
Registered
60 Posts

VW97Jetta,
Unless something changed, TT was chargeing $200 for the 276 and barring your present lifters being badly worn, you do not need to change them when you change cams. The idle is very lumpy, even at 1,000 rpm where I keep it now. It reminds me of the idle in a some of the old V-8's. But it clears right up above 1,300 rpm or so. I run it retarded 1.5 degrees.
TT recommends the HD springs, but I am using new stock springs after all the issues TT has had with broken springs. The stock springs are said to be good to at least 7,000 rpm and HP starts falling off around 6,500 rpm with this cam/engine combination. I used new stock springs in the 16V as well.
You are right though, it is expensive for a maybe 5 HP. Improve you breathing first, ie, cold air intake, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Anyone running a TT .276 cam? (Sean Henderson)

quote:[HR][/HR]VW97Jetta,
Unless something changed, TT was chargeing $200 for the 276 and barring your present lifters being badly worn, you do not need to change them when you change cams. The idle is very lumpy, even at 1,000 rpm where I keep it now. It reminds me of the idle in a some of the old V-8's. But it clears right up above 1,300 rpm or so. I run it retarded 1.5 degrees.
TT recommends the HD springs, but I am using new stock springs after all the issues TT has had with broken springs. The stock springs are said to be good to at least 7,000 rpm and HP starts falling off around 6,500 rpm with this cam/engine combination. I used new stock springs in the 16V as well.
You are right though, it is expensive for a maybe 5 HP. Improve you breathing first, ie, cold air intake, exhaust, etc.
[HR][/HR]​
I have all that stuff already - H.D. valve springs, intake, exhaust, etc. Was going to get the Euro Sport race intake, but my Cool Flo heat shield does an excellent job at keeping the heat out of the intake area...
I currently have my timing set to 4 degrees of advance, which helped out the idle - with the exception of my plugs being fouled (starting to misfire now), it idles very well. New plugs are going in with the new head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts