VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post a while back about how vibrations may be higher for us Automatics when using mounts. I believe that the ES are about as soft as you can get while still being effective at controlling Hop.
I'd like to hear first hand from anyone that has them (on an Auto or Tip)
It makes sense that the vibration could be higher for us because we stay in gear when at a stop.
I would like to hear from 1.8T owners of course...

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: Anyone running ES Mounts on an Automatic/Tiptronic? (Jetta_1.8Tip)

I have prothanes on my auto, which are even stiffer than the ES mounts. And yes there is vibration but the improved feel far outways the costs IMO . . . if you can't stand the vibes you can always throw it in neutral but I just got used to it.

[Modified by evilpat, 4:56 AM 2-4-2003]

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

I had ES inserts before... they were taken out ASAP. The vibrations in the car at a standstill are ridiculously strong. ES recommends that Autos don't use their products. If you want to always be throwing your car into Neutral, then it might be bearable. My car was vibrating so much that the rear fold-down part of the seats made a "bass" like rumble.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

I'm back to stock. I have no plans on changing to anything that would increase cabin vibrations. I do have wheel hop, but I'm not a hard-core racer or anything... I rather keep comfort in my daily driver

·
Registered
826 Posts
Re: Anyone running ES Mounts on an Automatic/Tiptronic? (jettaproblems)

I have both Turn2 motor mounts in my TDI. The Turn2 upper tranny mount actually damped the vibrational harshness cause by the dogbones.
The vibration is heaviest obviously while at idle in gear, but it's not bad... No "bass-like" sounds.
It's also worse when the diesel engine is cold... As it warms it seems to fade a bit.
Here's what ya do, try out the turn to mounts... but before you install em, go to a parts house and buy some used motor mounts. If you don't like it, change em out and sell em on Vortex.
I definate rec. running both Turn2 mounts together.

[Modified by Kennedy, 10:20 PM 2-4-2003]

·
Registered
835 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
It makes sense that the vibration could be higher for us because we stay in gear when at a stop.
I would like to hear from 1.8T owners of course...[HR][/HR]​
Hi Mike,
I knew I'd see a post from you soon on this, lol.
OK, stiffness:
(A durometer rating is a way of measuring stiffness)
VW motorsport (60)
ES poly (65)
ES prothane / Turn 2 (70 or 75, I've heard both)
Z-engineering (metal) (who knows, it's metal)
ALL mounts will be stiff at first, it takes quite a while for them to break in. So if there's a lot of vibration at first, like someone here said, it's not a good idea to pull them out immidiately.
I have an aftermarket exhaust, and am having some vibration issues because of the increased exhaust pipe diameter and my stock bushings having too much play in them.
I will have the ES poly mounts in soon, and will give them about a month to break in.
You really don't have to freak out too much about this, the mounts are $16 and I'm sure Dubwerks could have them installed in under a half hour, and then take them out if you give them a chance to break in and you still don't like it.
You are correct about the vibration under load at a light. Mine vibrates metal-on-metal right now, so I have to put it in neutral anyways, so my options are kinda limited.
..but I hear the throttle response is made much better (because the engine doesn't rock before it moves the car) so that's cool with me. It's all a matter of how well do you want your car to perfrom vs. what you are willing to put up with.
I told you all of this at the Liberty GTG 2 days ago!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Anyone running ES Mounts on an Automatic/Tiptronic? (dw09577)

Yeah, yeah... You told me, you told me...

I was just trying to hear some first hand feedback. I guess I'll have to wait for you to get yours and go for a ride and/or hear what you think after you actually have them. I do want better performance but I also really want to keep her nice and quiet (vibration free) I know I am prob asking for too much.
Thanks again!!

·
Registered
835 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Yeah, yeah... You told me, you told me...

I was just trying to hear some first hand feedback. I guess I'll have to wait for you to get yours and go for a ride and/or hear what you think after you actually have them. I do want better performance but I also really want to keep her nice and quiet (vibration free) I know I am prob asking for too much.
Thanks again!![HR][/HR]​
Nah, I want the same thing, Give me a chance to break them in and I'll get back to you, in the meantime, if any other auto's have these mounts, please post!

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: Anyone running ES Mounts on an Automatic/Tiptronic? (dw09577)

quote:[HR][/HR] Give me a chance to break them in and I'll get back to you, in the meantime, [HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Yup, my car sounded and felt like I left my exhaust in the garage when I first went for a spin after I put em in. It does lesten as they break in.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Re: Anyone running ES Mounts on an Automatic/Tiptronic? (evilpat)

me:
quote:[HR][/HR] Give me a chance to break them in and I'll get back to you, in the meantime,if any other auto's have these mounts, please post![HR][/HR]​
quote:[HR][/HR]
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Yup, my car sounded and felt like I left my exhaust in the garage when I first went for a spin after I put em in. It does lesten as they break in.[HR][/HR]​
So you have an auto/tiptronic? How is it at the lights?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts

I have VWMS mounts...the car can get unbearable at times and I do throw it into neutral when it is too much. I may be taking them out soon...just too much for an auto...passengers get their teeth rattled out.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Anyone running ES Mounts on an Automatic/Tiptronic? (Crass!)

How is the vibration when you are stopped in drive, do you have to switch to neutral?
Are 70A the softest while still being an improvement? What are stock in comparison?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Jetta_1.8Tip »
How is the vibration when you are stopped in drive, do you have to switch to neutral?

Stronger but still acceptable vibration when stopped in drive. Don't have to switch to neutral at all. In fact, I hardly notice the vibration.
Quote, originally posted by Jetta_1.8Tip »

Are 70A the softest while still being an improvement? What are stock in comparison?

no idea. These helped though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.