VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need halp once again. I want to start my exhaust project(which does not end here
)
I have a full TT cat-back(cat, resonator, borla muffler) as well as TT street headers.
What i'd like to do is delete the cat and the resonator... I don't have emissions in MA for OBDI and below that cars. I do have a o2 sensor, so that would be relocated to the headers. pretty sure it's by/before the cat now, but I'm not positive on that. I know the headers have a port for an o2 sensor, though.
anyway, I'm eager to hear your guys' thoughts and sound clips would definitely be great. i know some people out there must just be running a muffler or mufflers and headers, but, I have found jack on youtube

thanks guys!
Tek

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told it wouldn't be too too loud with the muffler. to be honest, i'd just like some gurgle and the occasional downshift flame

any other recommended options? i've done some searching around here and it's just all people who want the forum to pick "the best" exhaust for their car.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Re: (Joel Goodson)

you can remove the cat but i would keep the resonator, it keeps the raspy-ness level down.
you shouldn't be getting any fire out of the exhaust at any point, that isn't necessarily a good thing..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Anyone running just a muffler on a 16v? (Tekron for president)

Im running headers and a straight through 63mm system on my car back home with a just a rear silencer...its not obnoxiously loud and sounds pretty awesome... the only clip i have of it is filming 2 other mk2s having a run but u get the idea...at idle it has a nice burble and isnt bad when driving normaly.. after 4500rpms it does become a screamer....
the car....

and vid:

For the record bothe mk2s in front of me are abfs and the 1 on the right is running gas....

Cheers
N.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds pretty good. i like a relatively quiet idle.
my friend has a 1.8 320i, which, for those of you who don't know, was the ancestor of the E30, aka the E21. his, with just a muffler, had downshift flames occasionally but didn't really blow any when revving. it wasn't that much louder than waht it is now... now he just has a resonator and a quieter muffler.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: (Tekron for president)

The reason the 320 threw flames is that it was CIS. I had the Eurosport 2.25 exhaust in my Rabbit when I was running the 16V including the headers. I did run a cat but no resonator and got quite a few looks with this system. Don't know how the MKII will respond but there was a lot of interior resonance as well.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Re: (Joel Goodson)

Quote, originally posted by IDrankBeer »
It'll most likely be loud and obnoxious.

Quote, originally posted by Joel Goodson »
It will be very raspy and will pop way to much when downshifting....

You guys just described my Scirocco to a tee.

·
Registered
343 Posts

In my caddy, I'm running the TT race headers, no cat and a resonator. It sounds pretty nice, certainly a little loud but not obnoxious like a Subaru with a fart can. I'll try to get a sound clip tomorrow. I know its a MKI but the motor is applicable here

This...

In this...

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Tekron for president »
I have a full TT cat-back(cat, resonator, borla muffler) as well as TT street headers.
What i'd like to do is delete the cat and the resonator...

Environmental issues aside, removing the cat should give you some HP gains,
but removing the res will not provide much, if any gains.
Especially with headers, removing the res will most likely result in a LOT more raspyness.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
FV-QR

my old ABA swapped rabbit had tube headers, glasspack, and a stainless borla muffler. it would pop and gurgle on decel, and it was loud, but overall not too bad. it spat flames too haha.

·
Registered
909 Posts
FV-QR

I have stock headers (I believe), a gutted cat, and then TT stainless through a magnaflow muffler, no resonator. It's still got a deep rumble to it, not very raspy at all. And it isn't all that loud until about 4000RPM or so. I can post a clip in a couple days.

·
Registered
2013 Golf R, 2013 X5 35D, 1997 E320
21,249 Posts
FV-QR

I had a header to cat to muffler and it was pretty damn loud. I liked it but it got old after a while. I'm sure with no cat it would be significantly louder.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.