VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k quick question..whne i bought my car the paint had a lot of chips and what not and i went around and got quotes on gettin a new paint job...now what i was wonderin was my step dad and i decide we wanted to kinda make a project out of this and do a lot of the body prep work ourselves but we really have no clue on what to do?? Can we just take things like the hood/bumpers/ fenders and such and sand blast them and remove any dings and dents then prime them again or is that bad??? any advice or tips would be great...

·
Banned
5,705 Posts
sand blasting depending on how coarse the sand is generally leaves pits in the metal... A good fill primer and some sanding will fill the pits in though. If there are no major dents and just mild body work needs to be done, if it was me i would just sand it down good, shoot it with a good coat or 2 of a fill primer sand it again seal it and paint it...

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Re: (Pred)

paint almost never needs to be taken down to bare metal.. everyone thinks that, but it doesnt! sandblasting can be rough on light sheetmetal and you may end up with more dents and wavey panels than when you started! just do the basic dent repairs and sand the panels down with 500 until there is no orange peel.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Re: Anyone that could help??? (Mac142)

Sandblasting is usually left for removing rust. Also keep in mind that sandblasting can slightly warp sheet metal. If you have a lot of chips in your paint they should be feather edged into the good paint using a DA sander with any grit sandpaper between 80 and 220. Generally I would start with the courser grit and go over the spots with the finer grit afterwards. Then if needed you could use a polyester glazing putty over the spots and block sand them smooth before applying 2-3 wets coats of a high quality urethane high build filler primer.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Re: Anyone that could help??? (wsb)

Body work like that is really easy, spraying paint is an art, buffing is a mastery.
Body work is cake. Sand with 400, clean very well, fill with a good fiber body filler, and sand again, then fill, then sand. Just get it perfect, and watch for those creases.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Re: Anyone that could help??? (troze1200)

wtf are you talking about?
apply filler over 400? buffing is a mastery? have you ever sprayed a car before? and have you ever wetsanded and buffed? have you ever done body work? creases?

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Re: Anyone that could help??? (DuBLiFeh2o)

I tried to spray and buff on an older car, I just can't do it. I worked at a car stereo shop, and the technique is really simple with fiberglass and body filler. I've taught alot of people how to, and its not nearly as difficult as the spraying and buffing.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Re: Anyone that could help??? (troze1200)

a stereo shop and collision work are apples and oranges. there is no perfection involved in stereo boxes. they are one offs that can have blemishes without anyone knowing!
and did you wetsand and buff?
buffing isnt a mastery because you only need to buff imperfections in paint! see what im saying. if you mastered painting, you wouldnt need to buff

agreed that the 'technique with body filller is simple but to get warped and twisted metal back to being perfect is somewhat difficult...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Re: Anyone that could help??? (DuBLiFeh2o)

Quote, originally posted by DuBLiFeh2o »
a stereo shop and collision work are apples and oranges.
Agreed
Quote, originally posted by DuBLiFeh2o »
buffing isnt a mastery because you only need to buff imperfections in paint! see what im saying.

Buffing isn't the most difficult thing- but there are lot of people in this world that I wouldn't come within 10 feet of my car with a buffer in their hand.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Re: Anyone that could help??? (wsb)

buffing is very finicky. once you get a good rythm and the hang of it, its not so bad.
NEVER USE AN AIR POWERED POLISHING TOOL, i just switched in the past 3 weeks from air to electric and the results are excellent. still not 100% streak free, but much better that with the air power http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts