VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me today "what happened with your old car" I replied, I traded it in, the dealer bought it. Which made me think, I wonder where it is now. Then I realized that I still have the app, and what do you know, it still works and fully functional.

Two months later, I can still lock, unlock, start, stop, etc... :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Thanks for reminding me that is important to clear/reset all data in your vehicle when you sell/trade/etc. because dealers are lazy and won't do it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I did not try to track mine down, but I did get a towing notice months after I traded my 1st gen Supra into the dealer. It was left on the side of the interstate a few miles north of here. I expect it ran out of oil as it leaked and burned over 1L every couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,151 Posts
I thought this would be a thread about buying a new car and turning the old one into a race car. There were parking lot pics and everything. :(

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I started my C43 at the dealer I traded it in to. My salesman called me and asked if I still had the app active because the car was randomly starting and honking it's horn. I told him no, then started the car. He laughed and hung up.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
Yeah. The track is brutal. I could really do with a coolant and brake cooling upgrade.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I started my C43 at the dealer I traded it in to. My salesman called me and asked if I still had the app active because the car was randomly starting and honking it's horn. I told him no, then started the car. He laughed and hung up.
That is fantastic!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't track past cars because I have no attachment to them. However, I did find out recently through a Facebook group that my old C6Z dropped a valve and did quite some damage to the motor. I had "fixed" heads and a slew of other NA parts done with no issues in 5k miles after the build. In 12k miles since I sold it there's been four owners and who knows what kind of abuse. Glad it is no longer mine! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
3,820 Posts
I don't track past cars because I have no attachment to them. However, I did find out recently through a Facebook group that my old C6Z dropped a valve and did quite some damage to the motor. I had "fixed" heads and a slew of other NA parts done with no issues in 5k miles after the build. In 12k miles since I sold it there's been four owners and who knows what kind of abuse. Glad it is no longer mine! :laugh:

https://i.imgur.com/aJPkMLM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9MpXWvk.jpg
Saw the head and thought "that looks like a really good repair shop could probably fix that..." then saw the block and thought "nevermind". :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
As much as I doubt it's still on the road, I do wonder whatever happened to my Corrado. Sadly, I don't have a record of the VIN.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I very briefly owned a Ford Ranger, and the dude who bought it from me was the shadiest mother****er I've ever met. We're talking like, came to see the truck at 11PM on a weeknight, came back again the next night well after 10PM to pick it up, paid me from a wad of $100 bills, and brought a dealer plate with him...

I assume it's been exported, because googling the VIN doesn't turn up any sale ads.

·
Registered
12,416 Posts
I keep a list of all my old VINs. As you can guess, a lot were wrecked and crushed.

97 Nissan Truck 1N6SD16S7VC425469
Date of loss: 2008-12-31
Cause of loss: Collision

04 Accord Grey 1HGCM55374A078620
Date of loss 2017-12-06 Cause of loss Collision
Damage Type:Junk And Salvage
Disposition:CRUSH

03 Ion2 1G8AJ52F03Z107267
Salvage: Damage or Not Specified
10-02-2015 CALIFORNIA

03 Ion3 1G8AL52F53Z101524
2018-08-02 Dallas TX Junk And Salvage SOLD

09 Mazda5 JM1CR29L890345835
Auction: 01-09-2020
Mileage: 138,370 miles
Condition: Salvage
Damage: Front End

17 Accord 1HGCR2E19HA177573
Lot IAAI #27517486
Auction Date 2020/05/20, Wednesday
VIN 1HGCR2E19HA177573
Primary Damage Front End
Secondary Damage Rear
Odometer 42889 mi Actual
Start Code Run & Drive
Keys Key(s) Present
Title State/Type: SALVAGE (New Hampshire)

Some just dropped off the face of the earth, my guess is salvage as there are no new registration, emission or service records.

My old 2015 QX60 just turned up for sale less than a year after I traded it. I was behind my old Pilot the other day, still looked mint being driven by a nice family.

·
Registered
83,156 Posts
I did not try to track mine down, but I did get a towing notice months after I traded my 1st gen Supra into the dealer. It was left on the side of the interstate a few miles north of here. I expect it ran out of oil as it leaked and burned over 1L every couple of weeks.
1st gen Supra?
Wow, I've only ever seen one in person, and it was already a beater.

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,292 Posts
I very briefly owned a Ford Ranger, and the dude who bought it from me was the shadiest mother****er I've ever met. We're talking like, came to see the truck at 11PM on a weeknight, came back again the next night well after 10PM to pick it up, paid me from a wad of $100 bills, and brought a dealer plate with him...

I assume it's been exported, because googling the VIN doesn't turn up any sale ads.
Probably set it on fire with the murder victims in it.

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
I sold my S13 back in 2005. Saw it in a magazine in a Reader's Rides section maybe 6-7 years ago, painted white and with an SR20 swap. Knew it was my car by the plate (2MYM600). I posted on Zilvia.net a couple of years ago looking for it but got no responses. CA's smog history report says it's still around and was last smogged last year, so it's still around.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,600 Posts
Funny timing for the thread as I did this yesterday with the help of a certain forum member. I learned that my first car, a 1999 Passat V6 manual in Colorado Red w/tan is still on the road living in Arlington, TX. Currently it's on owner #7 (I was #2, my brother was #1). Ironically I got rid of the car in 2006 because I was tired of breakdowns and would not be economical to keep it going any further.:laugh::beer:

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,430 Posts
OK this thread made me curious. I couldn't find much of anything on most of my cars which I think is a good thing.

My old E92 was totaled last month though, and auctioned for $1900. Still had the same wheels and blackout grill I sold it with 4 years ago, looked to be decently clean otherwise. I'm actually kind of sad now, I don't think I like this game. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts