VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probley a long shot here,:)
but due to finding a complete loom for is 2.8 24v etc is rather hard to get hold off,
i have been runing a stand alone on my old 12v engine , but i fancy makeing a mk3 vr6 loom run on a 24v ,
i now these engine will run with out vvt wired up and run 20psi of boost with just a spacer (tryed it and been there,
only real thing i need to modify is the mk3 cam sensor and pickup on the exhuast cam

the basic idea is to modify a stock vr6 ecu to run 560cc injectors, and turbocharger and use the mk3 vr6 loom:) as it has knock sensors and i reckon it has more finer tuning over the 6 clyinders

what are your thoughts and ideas ,

· Registered
34,572 Posts
Should be no problem my main harness is still all Mk3. You'll want to use a later model one if you want to use the Mk3 ecu as well. There's a change in 97 or 98 that is to the multitooth cam wheel on the 12v (goes with single chains), that one matches the 24v cam sensor.

FWIW, you should have better luck with MS.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hiya paul hope ur tuning going better then mine , :) hernce decided to go with a mk3 obd1 loom and change a few mapping details
ru saying i need a 96/7 obd2 loom and ecu instead as i thought all vr6 loom had all the same sensors exspect for maf plug and thottle bodys/:confused:

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as i think my main problems are runing a mk3 ecu with the stock cam signal as the vr6 is none magetic and the mk4 24v is magnetic , as i thought just lock the cams up in the same way of the 12v engine to do away with vvt and modify the mk3 vr6 cam sensor torun on the 24v engine if you roughly now what i mean

· Registered
34,572 Posts
Wideband broke but the car runs pretty well, it's on MS3x now.

Late Mk3 is non magnetic wheel just like the Mk4 which is why it works. It could work with the earlier 12v magnet cam trigger mounted to a 24v cam and use the early 12v sensor.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im with you cheers paul ,i gather runing it this way would run retarded due to vvt not been wired up, as ive noticed i can run more timing on a 12v vr6 then i could with a 24v engine

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
heres the idea
first split the exhust vvt cam and remove the stock pickup sensor
and skim the centre out so the mk3 sensor fits inside

then as these are some type of cast steel i had to buzz it up with cast rod then skim it off

then refited and slight modify to get the mk3 sensor in place

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good to me. I'm still tuning right now but I have intake vvt totally off and the car runs pretty well without it. I use the exhaust cam from tickover to 1200 to smooth out the idle and that's it.
tryed a tester on the sensor passing the cam sensor but could get a reading , but im sure im right , ive set the exhust cam idenical to the 12v camshaft and adjusted the intake same as the 12v intake so in theroy , basicy is idenical to 12v timing , as i noticed with exhust vvt it dosent move half as mutch as the intake vvt pulley , anyway both are fixed and algined the same , im keeping my fingers crossed

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no this is a complete 2.8 24v head/block timed upo same as a 12v managed to get it runing on stock ecu runing 625cc at 4bar at 14.7afr really chuffed no fault codes poped , so i think ill pop it in moter see who it performs , hope the r36 is runing sweet;)

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
the r32 head is complete and still on the block ,i was going to ebay it tbh , but make me a offer , unsure what postage would be /it didnt over heat/miss and didnt smoke if that helps ,,other then this i just fitted the complete head in one complete lump off the 2003 r32 engine straight onto my 2.8 block, its had injector holes reemed out to use chubby injectors if needed ,engine code was( bub)
im giving up with vr6s 12/24v :( fed up of piston and crank damage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.