VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how they work?
They look like they help with crash safety somehow. They butt up against the back of the glove box and knee bolster on both sides.
There is aluminum plate there that they are up against.

Euro cars don't have any of this though.
The knee bolster and glove are totally plastic.

I'm just thinking how safe it is without it.
If your held with a harness

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am not a safety engineer.
It's been a hot minute since I studied impact and impulse forces.
If you do remove them and something bad happens and is made worse because they were not there, I'd hate my recommendation to be an influencer on the situation.

Hopefully, me not knowing WTF I'm talking about is clear.

I don't know how those are expected to work if the glovebox has been removed.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True. I probably keep them till someone who really understands what they are can explain.

It's tempting because the euro cars have none. And it must be at least 10-15lbs of weight

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'll try to look at them again soon, but my initial impression was that the car will be plenty safe without them - especially on a track car. I cannot see much of a reason why they should be kept, tbh.

- Armchair analysis from a mechanical engineer

·
Registered
154 Posts
heh, i've had fun cutting my knuckles on those things while harvesting just-in-case dash parts out of junkyard cars. unless you're taking your dash apart anyway i'd say just leave 'em. not that i've ever picked one up but as they're mostly hollow aluminum i'd be surprised if they were even 8 lbs combined.
the heavier guys are those exposed triangular supports that have been removed in the above pic. as i understand it they are supposed to be structural so i'd put them back on (assuming pic is of your car). plus they look cool.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
... those exposed triangular supports ... as i understand it they are supposed to be structural
The triangular supports are definitely supporting the dash. Remove them for a few days and you'll usually find that you need to lift the dash to reinstall them.

Agreed about the small amount of weight difference that the "crumple brackets" will make. BUT, as someone that has their MK2 GTI damn close to being under 2000 lbs, if you're serious about shedding weight, every little bit helps.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The triangular supports are definitely supporting the dash. Remove them for a few days and you'll usually find that you need to lift the dash to reinstall them.

Agreed about the small amount of weight difference that the "crumple brackets" will make. BUT, as someone that has their MK2 GTI damn close to being under 2000 lbs, if you're serious about shedding weight, every little bit helps.
Exactly. I've shed around 400lbs so far. But most of it comes from the back. It's hard to find weight to remove up front

That pic is not my car.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
That's the same issue I've had with my GTI. My weight split was damn close to 70/30 with the VR6. I want to drop more weight by swapping rear glass out for polycarbonate, but I know that'll make the weight split even worse. It will drop the CG closer to the ground though, so that's a plus. I tried dropping some of the front end weight by moving to a tubular front crossmember, but I've run into fitment issues with it.

I've debated dumping the GTI (my shell is kind of trash) and turning the TT into the track car, but I really like the low weight of the GTI.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the same issue I've had with my GTI. My weight split was damn close to 70/30 with the VR6. I want to drop more weight by swapping rear glass out for polycarbonate, but I know that'll make the weight split even worse. It will drop the CG closer to the ground though, so that's a plus. I tried dropping some of the front end weight by moving to a tubular front crossmember, but I've run into fitment issues with it.

I've debated dumping the GTI (my shell is kind of trash) and turning the TT into the track car, but I really like the low weight of the GTI.
Hey if you can't make that tubular crossmember work, then sell it to me!
I been shopping for one for a long time. Just don't want to pay new prices.
I can mod it to fit my car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts