VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to get something to help keep the rear from sagging when I’m loaded up with gear. These bags seem like a pretty easy solution. I was curious if anyone has experience with them or if there is any other options out there to beef up the rear end without negative effects when not loaded. Thanks Colby.

2017 GSW SE

Example link. I would have to look again to find the exact model for our cars.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/inde...MItfqEtvXo4AIVBUCGCh2oywijEAQYASABEgLx2PD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I’m looking to get something to help keep the rear from sagging when I’m loaded up with gear. These bags seem like a pretty easy solution. I was curious if anyone has experience with them or if there is any other options out there to beef up the rear end without negative effects when not loaded. Thanks Colby.

2017 GSW SE

Example link. I would have to look again to find the exact model for our cars.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/inde...MItfqEtvXo4AIVBUCGCh2oywijEAQYASABEgLx2PD_BwE

You must be really loading it up. On my Alltrack, I have the largest top box Yakima makes, loaded to the max, the rear loaded up and then there are my two teenage boys along with my wife and I. It's loaded but nothing I can't live without. Even in the summer, same scenario along with 4 bikes on the back. I literally can;t put more in it. I've even done the summer trip (with the bikes) when it's lowered.

I have used them on a crew cab dually hauling a gooseneck trailer that comes in over max weight. So the airbags worked great when loaded but needed to be deflated when not loaded.

There's no reason why you couldn't do it but you don't want to overload the vehicle and use the airbags to make you think you are OK.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, I think I’ll probably pull the trigger eventually. I wouldn’t say I am really loading it up as far as total weight, but most of the weight is in the rear. The backseat belongs to the pup. Once I put the loaded cooler and other gear in it starts to sag a little and I have Ed’s golf r replica lights installed and you can tell that they are pointing a little higher than I and I’m sure others would like. I also for some weird reason feel that my car may be less targeted to be broken into in an unfamiliar area if it doesn’t appear to have a ton of valuable items in it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've got a set to go in come spring time. I'm basically in the same scenario as you.

Most of the weight in the rear. I'm hoping they help with the sag. Not so much weight capacity.

Braking and handling will hopefully not be effected as much.

Jjvincent, do you carry much in the boot?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I've heard 4176 coil rights work for the 4mo GSW/Alltracks, so that's a good price, if shipping isn't bad.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
There's no reason why you couldn't do it but you don't want to overload the vehicle and use the airbags to make you think you are OK.
Maximum Payload 992 lbs.

So you can put that in the boot and not need helper bags? I don't think vw specifies where you can put the weight, in fact, it could be a lot more if distributed, they are probably giving a "play it safe" number.

Either way, that'll sag your big rear end. PS that's more than 3 EA888 2.0 engines for perspective.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Maximum Payload 992 lbs.

So you can put that in the boot and not need helper bags? I don't think vw specifies where you can put the weight, in fact, it could be a lot more if distributed, they are probably giving a "play it safe" number.

Either way, that'll sag your big rear end. PS that's more than 3 EA888 2.0 engines for perspective.
Let's see. There are 4 of us in it. That accounts for 660 lbs. Add into that a full tank of gas (86 lbs) clothes, skis, boots, helmets, poles, a cooler and various other food items, I think that we could top that 992 lbs. Just the people and gas comes out to 746 and that leaves 246 for the rest. This is not, towing but weight in the car.

This summer it was same four people, top box but a bike rack that had 4 mountain bikes on it. I know that those things weight way more than all of our ski stuff. It's safe to say we were packing on more weight.

If I wanted to pack the whole rear of the AT, then I could even get more weight but I stop it right there because I want to see out the back.

As for my Eurovan, I don't even want to know how much that bad boy weighs when we go camping. With nobody in it and a tank of gas, it's 4800 lbs.

The AT has the lighting package so even if the rear is sagged, the headlights are not blinding everyone.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The AT has the lighting package so even if the rear is sagged, the headlights are not blinding everyone.
My AT does not have the lighting package. With the stock springs and a Kuat NV rack with two pretty light FS XC bikes, and a 50 lb dog in the back, I was constantly getting flashed by folks, and the back end was sagging--badly. We must have different springs or something, because in my case it was in desperate need of helper bags in the back--and that's not really that much weight.

The R springs are way better in that regard due to the higher spring rate, and I sold the NV and got a Sherpa (which is about half the weight). I now no longer need the helper springs. If I were on stock springs I'd definitely try them, and I absolutely see a need for them on the stock suspension.

I don't know what springs are on the Eurovan, but it has nothing to do w/the Alltrack. I never never noticed a difference in ride height no matter who are what was in that thing. All I noticed was X-mas try of warning lights every time I tried to start it....

·
Registered
2016 GSW S 5sd - sold
1,316 Posts
Yes. I also installed them in my friend's GSW.

Normal load of camping gear or dive gear, etc, causes the rear end to sag, easily and noticeably. Put in the red ones (AirLift 80753) - $80ish off amazon when I bought them. T'd the airline and ran it to the hole in the bumper where the euro hitch would swing down.

PITA to install, but worth it. Have 2+ years, 35k+ miles on 'em, no issues.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...000-or-Firestone-Coil-Rite-Air-Helper-Springs

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Very cool! :thumbup::thumbup:

Some people don't understand that putting 4 people in the vehicle is different than back end loads. I was going to go this route, but sold the AT. Good stuff, I know a few people with a GSW/AT's today.

I have the airlift kit installed on my 18 AT with Good R springs. I installed them exclusively for towing capabilities. The kit works great. I routed the air line nozzle to the gas tank filling area.

Normal load of camping gear or dive gear, etc, causes the rear end to sag, easily and noticeably. Put in the red ones (AirLift 80753) - $80ish off amazon when I bought them. T'd the airline and ran it to the hole in the bumper where the euro hitch would swing down.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...000-or-Firestone-Coil-Rite-Air-Helper-Springs

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Maximum Payload 992 lbs.
Rules are meant to be broken. picked up 30-32lbs packages of bio bricks (think huge wood pellets for cord wood replacement) that's 960lbs.

It was just me (225lbs) in the car with 5/6 full tank. I did load 16 packages in the rear seats (512lbs) 4 were in the passenger seat area and only 10 were in the back. She squatted in the rear way too much for my comfort (fronts didn't show much compression even with loading as much as I could in the front, but I was aware I was over the limit, the load was in the car for 45 min and took it pretty slow around corners and bumps. So far so good. Air bags will be on my short list of things to pick up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I installed the Airlift 1000 (80753) last summer. I have a ‘16 FWD GSW & observed that it didn’t take much for the rear to sag which affected acceleration, handling, & braking.

Agree with surfstar that the install of the bags were a major PITA. But they are worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Picked up another 30 bundles of bio bricks to polish off the pallet I ordered, felt more confidant this time but corners were rather entertaining. My 205-65-16 snow tires were about 1/4-1/2" under the fender well, it reassured me that I'll never lower the car.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Picked up another 30 bundles of bio bricks to polish off the pallet I ordered, felt more confidant this time but corners were rather entertaining. My 205-65-16 snow tires were about 1/4-1/2" under the fender well, it reassured me that I'll never lower the car.
For what it's worth, when fully loaded my stock Alltrack sat lower in the back than it does now, lowered on R wagon springs. Yes, the springs are lower--but the spring rate is a lot higher.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure of your application fit, however i used these on my ol Ford, installed in 97 and sold truck in 14. Ton of gravel every winter for ballast. (Skiing Affliction) Tried foam cells on current TK. Go Firestone. Worth every dollar.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
For what it's worth, when fully loaded my stock Alltrack sat lower in the back than it does now, lowered on R wagon springs. Yes, the springs are lower--but the spring rate is a lot higher.
good to know, if I found higher spring rate at stock AT height, i'd prob take that.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts