VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 158 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Yes you can get braided metal flex lines though... might be a custom made thing though but they probably would cost much. I got a braided stainless oil feed line made for my old mk4 tdi and it was 90$ including the fittings, line and labor for them to make it. (the line and fittings themselves were pretty cheap)

Edit: Quick search brought me to mcmaster carr... God they have everything... Build your own options too! just need to figure out a couple connections!

https://www.mcmaster.com/braided-stainless-steel-hose

· Registered
2,680 Posts
Huh... that one little loop would be my one concern however i feel as though a solution could be found to alleviate that potential risk.... tape or zipties seems a bit flimsy... maybe a bent piece of 16 gauge that cupped over the bottom on the control arm? i dunno... something to play with.

Great link though! and the video he linked to as well. Really shows the difference they make. I would be curious to see what were to happen if he re inflated the bags with the weight on? would it rise again or just hold that height but stiffer?

I.E. Pre inflate the bags before putting weight in or doesn't matter?

Here is the Video he linked too for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RJ8kgqbNUg
IMO the suspension goes up and down in normal driving, any inflating before loading the suspension will prob settle the same as inflating and just driving around.

· Registered
2016 GSW S 5sd - sold
1,318 Posts
The instructions recommend that you inflate the bags prior to loading the cargo. I think its better to let them prevent sag vs trying to "lift" an already sagging rear.

My hoses are routed down through the control arms, loop of tubing lessons ground clearance by 1" or less - never had a snag, and we drive more dirt/camping roads than most owners. Routing down just seemed to fit our car's setup the easiest (like the TDI thread shows).

(edit) Yes to zip tie holding the hotdog shaped bags + soapy water + cursing + more cursing = installed!!!

· Registered
194 Posts

I had the same concerns about the hose coming out from the bottom of the traverse link but I don't anymore having survived our canadian winter.

The pic below shows the location of my schrader valve. My GSW is a 2016 FWD so the exhaust is on the driver's side. On the passenger side there's just empty space protected by a plastic shield so I routed all the hoses there for the T-connection. There's a hole in the shield that was perfect for the schrader valve. I liked the idea of the fill valve being easily accessible so I can just use a bicycle pump. The gas cap area is a popular spot but I thought it was kind of too high up.

I found the youtube clip that I thought to be very helpful when you deflate your air bags. Skip to the 30 -35 second mark. If you can deflate the bag to be roughly that shape and then use a zip tie to keep it there, the squeeze method is easily do-able.

· Registered
130 Posts
That is a handy video! My bags should be showing up today, but just looking at the photos I didn't expect them to be that stiff... Certainly makes more sense as to why the Zip Tie method is still problematic for some. That will be my method to start as I'm lazy and stubborn so I feel it will be a good match!

· Registered
2,680 Posts
So a 1600 mile vacation to PEI and a week and a half later, bags are holding up great. Did some pre vacation errands and some measurements, unloaded with 10PSI in the bags, rear fender sat at 29” (running 225-55-17 tires), picked up 250lbs of sand, 80lb of cat litter and a case of wine, car sat at 28.5”, I was impressed.

For the vacation we loaded up the car with 100lbs of luggage in the back seat, 30lbs tow ball mounted bike rack, two 25lbs bikes and the 70lbs pit bull in the back hatch. Had the bags initially at 15psi on the start of the trip, I didn’t measure where it sat but probably she looked level, last year she was sagging pretty good in similar outfit on the same trip. Driving around for the week I kept the bags aired up even when not lugging around the bikes or much weight, no noticeable rough ridding. The access lawn to our cabin was pretty uneven, the last couple days we were there it did develop a fair amount of squeaking of what I think was the bags, once on pavement the sound went away, but I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

On the way back I did pump up the bags to ~24psi, can’t say I noticed any handling difference or if the car sat any higher. We did have some more stuff as we snagged a couple cases of beer, some souvenirs, also my wife claims I put on a good 5lbs. I did notice an anomaly I didn’t really think about, after some driving, say 6 hr straight highway run at 70-75mph with outside temps of 80F, I noticed when we parked the PSI of those bags climbed from 24psi to about 30-32psi, overnight in a 70f garage bags went back down to original 24psi. I wonder if it’s the heat of the road/engine or the suspension movement that’s heating up the bags.

I do recommend a cordless inflator to pair with the bags, I picked up a Milwaukee M12 inflator for general use (also a quick disconnect adapter) and tossed it in the car, it made it really easy to air up/check the PSI of the bags (also top up the bike tires). Seeing I left a pig tail on the fill valve that’s tucked up in the bumper/hitch cut out I can just reach up snag it and check without much effort.

· Registered
262 Posts
Air Lift 1000 Airbags

Well I finally installed the red bags by Air Lift. They were an easy install and comes with 4 spacers. I decided to remove the rear springs, add the spacers and position the air lines thru the sub frame. The ideal location for the air valve was positioned near under the gas filler door, the safest and will always stay clean.
Every weekend I'm off to the flea markets fully loaded. With the Thule box and rear end pushed down with at least 700 lbs. Before I load up I added 35 lbs of air pressure which raised the tail a couple of inches above normal height. Once all in I noticed it lowered those two inches and was held level all weekend. I travelled 300 kms with ease and with the JB1 I had no tail swaying or loose end and no trouble scooting about on the hiways. It was a real pleasure to drive with confidence.
I highly recommend installing the Air Lift 1000 set. Next to the JB this ranks as a great addition to my ride.

· Read Only
1,018 Posts
Well I finally installed the red bags by Air Lift. They were an easy install and comes with 4 spacers. I decided to remove the rear springs, add the spacers and position the air lines thru the sub frame. The ideal location for the air valve was positioned near under the gas filler door, the safest and will always stay clean.
Every weekend I'm off to the flea markets fully loaded. With the Thule box and rear end pushed down with at least 700 lbs. Before I load up I added 35 lbs of air pressure which raised the tail a couple of inches above normal height. Once all in I noticed it lowered those two inches and was held level all weekend. I travelled 300 kms with ease and with the JB1 I had no tail swaying or loose end and no trouble scooting about on the hiways. It was a real pleasure to drive with confidence.
I highly recommend installing the Air Lift 1000 set. Next to the JB this ranks as a great addition to my ride.
Thanks guys for sharing details.
If I cant get the blue Firestone bags more reliable for me I'll replace them with the sturdier AirLift reds/spacers for bags inside the springs that protect the air hose. Bags that work Seems most elegant and functional fix to droopy butt, without spending $$$ on taller springs.

TLDR: Bags and Atlas shocks and call it a day, and

for now wait and see to hear more from Forge Kit installs and their real world road experience in rough roads.

Nothing against the MallTrack look but I drive mine hard and get dirty, so reliable is preferred over "maybe pull off a CV joint" 500 miles out in the bumfvck someplace. Its not a Jeep or a Taco nor is Haldex a low diff unit.

Theres not enough low in the gear ratio even if turbo boosted to play hard in the real ORV world, so I'll stay out of the sketchy dirt/sand ruts and avoid snowplowing the deeper snow.

Kudos to those braver than I who do push it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
130 Posts
Well... no thanks to Amazon I finally got my bags. I ended up with airlift as well. Amazon emailed me the day the Firestone's were supposed to arrive telling me they were still looking for them and they back ordered and didnt have a delivery date.

Started looking around and found a U.S site with airlift fairly cheap. With the exchange and duties it was actually 5 bucks cheaper than Amazons Firestone's. So I canceled my Amazon order and bought that. And it just got here today! Now I have to find the time to install them!

I'm still debating if I am going to T the bags together or if I will run them individually. My concern in roll with the T'd together. However a failure or leak of one when they are individual also isnt appealing... I'll figure that out when the time comes!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

· Registered
262 Posts
Hi fellow Canuck, I installed mine the only way by T route. Why make the instal complicated, simple is always best. Read my past post.
I also purchased the GOOLOO Portable Tire Inflator 300 PSI Air Compressor so I don't have to be reliant on outside pumps. Small enough to fit under the floor.
This past Sunday I carried twelve bags of peat moss. Inflated the airbags to 40 psi, limit is 50 with no saggy bottom.
Total peace of mind option.

· Read Only
1,018 Posts
Hi fellow Canuck, I installed mine the only way by T route. Why make the instal complicated, simple is always best. Read my past post.
I also purchased the GOOLOO Portable Tire Inflator 300 PSI Air Compressor so I don't have to be reliant on outside pumps. Small enough to fit under the floor.
This past Sunday I carried twelve bags of peat moss. Inflated the airbags to 40 psi, limit is 50 with no saggy bottom.
Total peace of mind option.
I did my Firestones with two valves, one each side of hitch. More work to inflate, but figured that way one less failure point on the flimsy airlines at t-joint.

Someone else pointed out how the t-joint might allow lean? (Seems improbable but what do I know)

At least if one bag deflates on mine theres a bit of help to limp along on the other.

Firestone 4175 blue bags manual says "35 psi max" so the AirLift red must be sturdier walls/lines at 50 psi right?

Good to know, if so.
Might be doing a swap...if I cant debug my inflation issues.

Alltrack needs another "little blue pill"!

-Foo

· Registered
2,680 Posts
I went with the T as I'd rather have both bags go out and sag than one holding a side 2-3" higher. The plastic T of the airlift is darn tough as it took quite a bit to get the hose over the barbs.

Can't say that it'll affect lean, I have H&R RSB anyways.

· Registered
130 Posts
I went with the T as I'd rather have both bags go out and sag than one holding a side 2-3" higher. The plastic T of the airlift is darn tough as it took quite a bit to get the hose over the barbs.

Can't say that it'll affect lean, I have H&R RSB anyways.
This is what im leaning towards as i am planning on upgrading to a golf R RSB as well. Going to try to get the car up on the lift tomorrow night to install the bags.

Anyone have a pic of the Airlift bags with the spacer pucks in place?

· Registered
2,680 Posts
This is what im leaning towards as i am planning on upgrading to a golf R RSB as well. Going to try to get the car up on the lift tomorrow night to install the bags.

Anyone have a pic of the Airlift bags with the spacer pucks in place?
that tdi club link a few up has a couple pics of the air lift bags with the red spacers installed.

· Registered
130 Posts
Got the bags installed on Friday. Used the stubborn hard way and got it done in about an hour total. However I did have a lift and a friend helped me... two sets of hands made this so much easier... if it wasnt for that it would have been much easier to take it all apart. Taco method didnt work overly well so it was just pancake and stubbornness.

Tee'd the lines together and made a little bracket mounted on the bumper.

The bags fill the entire interior space of the coils, vertically that is, with the spacers in place. With 5 psi and nothing in the car, it does lift the rear just slightly. I drove home with 10 psi, and the rear was quote bouncy. After bumps, the rear would bounce up first then the front. 5 psi is significantly better however the rear is slightly stiffer, just barely noticeable.

Happy to have it done and excited to lug something now!

· Read Only
1,018 Posts
Got the bags installed on Friday. Used the stubborn hard way and got it done in about an hour total. However I did have a lift and a friend helped me... two sets of hands made this so much easier... if it wasnt for that it would have been much easier to take it all apart. Taco method didnt work overly well so it was just pancake and stubbornness.

Tee'd the lines together and made a little bracket mounted on the bumper.

The bags fill the entire interior space of the coils, vertically that is, with the spacers in place. With 5 psi and nothing in the car, it does lift the rear just slightly. I drove home with 10 psi, and the rear was quote bouncy. After bumps, the rear would bounce up first then the front. 5 psi is significantly better however the rear is slightly stiffer, just barely noticeable.

Happy to have it done and excited to lug something now!

Nice! Did you route the airlines out the bottom?

· Registered
2,680 Posts

you can see the air hoses coming out the LCA, so yeah.

Not bad for the bracket, I was hesitant to drill/mount due to the flexibility of that area but with that angle bar it prob isn't bad at all.

any creakiness or squeaks? I still have some over juts in the road, only on quick transitions, it goes away after 10-15min of driving, again thou i have 10 psi in them, I may try 5 and see whats what.

· Registered
130 Posts
Yes out the bottom, up the LCA and put a half loop at the pivot point and up out the top of the rear sub frame on both sides and ran across the back of the rear sub frame with the T off the passenger side. Above the heat shield and out the back of the car to the bumper.

Not bad for the bracket, I was hesitant to drill/mount due to the flexibility of that area but with that angle bar it prob isn't bad at all.

any creakiness or squeaks? I still have some over juts in the road, only on quick transitions, it goes away after 10-15min of driving, again thou i have 10 psi in them, I may try 5 and see whats what.
With the piece of angle its not too bad, its about 2 inches long so it stiffens it up a fair bit. Enough you could single handedly inflate/ check pressures however so far I've used both hands to just for the sense of security...

The only time I've had squeaks is when the car really needs to flex, like one wheel rolls over a rock and just that wheel lifts up... I plan on spraying it down with an undercoating, see if that solves the squeak.

I also intend on making something to cover that little loop out the bottom on the LCA as with my luck, that will be the only thing to get touched as I drive over things...

· Registered
262 Posts
61 - 80 of 158 Posts