VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Read Only
1,015 Posts
Yeah I have both valves pointed down then hoses running up to a T by the center hitch hole under the bumper, so it'll be easy for me to check the T and the fill valve, then it'd only lead to the bag valves themselves, which will be a PITA to drop the rear sway arms.

Easiest for me to check but I don't have a tool is the valve core, one of the fill valves core was loose or leaking so I used the other, but again I didn't hear any audible leakage when i tossed 20# in the bags. Time to fine a core tool.

Also I did order 80753 kit, they def seem wider and longer than what Foodogg has pictured.
This is the one I've installed and testing,

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-60902-Universal-Spring/dp/B018O94MXO

so far so good towing with 3/4 cargo load...plus a trailer, at 30psi no rubs.

Next step is some ruff road tests with cargo rack in back option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Read Only
1,015 Posts
This is the one I've installed and testing,

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-60902-Universal-Spring/dp/B018O94MXO

so far so good towing with 3/4 cargo load...plus a trailer, at 30psi no rubs.

Next step is some ruff road tests with cargo rack in back option.

I've also taken advice of some to use two separate valves, vs a tee.
1. To allow for airing up one side more than the other for cargo (seems unlikely, easier to just shift)
2. One less connector to fail
3. The opinion by some in other more experienced SUV or jeep trailer towing forums that in a lean the air would tend to migrate to the upside bag under less pressure, deflating the downside bag, causing a rub.

I dunno, and note its a bit of a pain to get two different sides air inflated and get the inflator valve off without losing 5lb plus air, so having one valve has its advantage there...

Either using a bike pump or 12v inflator good for airing up after airing tires down in the sand.

·
Read Only
1,015 Posts
1. To allow for airing up one side more than the other for cargo (seems unlikely, easier to just shift)
3. The opinion by some in other more experienced SUV or jeep trailer towing forums that in a lean the air would tend to migrate to the upside bag under less pressure, deflating the downside bag, causing a rub.

I dunno, and note its a bit of a pain to get two different sides air inflated and get the inflator valve off without losing 5lb plus air, so having one valve has its advantage there...

Either using a bike pump or 12v inflator good for airing up after airing tires down in the sand.

PS: dont be like dumb like me-
be in a rush to install valve in most inobtrusive outside location before DOUBLE checking clearance of air line BEHIND first install in the bumper was too tight 90 degree in the hose behind bumper ...

THEN I realized it was a really tight fit to get the bike pump inflator valve on...-

so on second bag install I put valve in from the side on second try...ahhh much better; still safe from road debris but easy to get inflation valve on.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
they sell quick disconnect air valve adapters, so you don't have to unscrew the fill valve from the scherader valve. I picked up a two pack for my M12 infiltrator.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I'm curious what the school of thought is on the 1 valve (single path) vs 2 valve (dual path) set up is. Doesn't the sway bar counter the forces caused by air moving from the high pressure side (suspension compressed) to the low pressure side (suspension uncompressed) in the single path set up? I assume the size of the sway bar will affect this- so is there an advantage of the dual path over the single path if you have an appropriate RSB? Maybe dual path is better if you have stock RSB? Just food for thought.

@Foodogg- thanks for the write up on your experiences- I love your set up! I'm curious what your thoughts are after putting some miles on the Air Lift. Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm curious what the school of thought is on the 1 valve (single path) vs 2 valve (dual path) set up is. Doesn't the sway bar counter the forces caused by air moving from the high pressure side (suspension compressed) to the low pressure side (suspension uncompressed) in the single path set up? I assume the size of the sway bar will affect this- so is there an advantage of the dual path over the single path if you have an appropriate RSB? Maybe dual path is better if you have stock RSB? Just food for thought.

@Foodogg- thanks for the write up on your experiences- I love your set up! I'm curious what your thoughts are after putting some miles on the Air Lift. Thanks!
I personally dont think it will really matter... I think any difference would be so minimal that it wouldnt be noticable... it may make a difference on a big tall jeep but I doubt it would on our cars regardless of sway being stock or upgraded.

I can see having them separate if you were to offset a load to one side vs the other, then you could level the car left to right. However once again I think you would be hard pressed to pull that off.

Contrary, if you blow a line with them separate, one is almost as good as non.

I personally chose to T mine together *for the above reasons* and that 18 wheelers and flat decks and such, all their suspension is tied together and they are designed for carrying loads.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
1,015 Posts

Will do, report back after some use.
Agree on the debate 1v2 lines is less applicable in AT vs Jeeps, SUVs towing big loads. Visit a couple of forums for opinions there.

And so you can see this is pretty straightforward:

https://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/air-lift-1000-universal-air-spring-kit/

·
Registered
91 Posts
That poor little 1.8. My opinion is that if you need airbags on an alltrack, you’ve got the wrong car. Given the relatively low payload capacity and zero towing recommendation I’d say you’re way over the stock braking capacity there. If you’re a flat lander, chances are you may be OK. If you try to haul that in the mountains of Colorado, game over.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That poor little 1.8. My opinion is that if you need airbags on an alltrack, you’ve got the wrong car. Given the relatively low payload capacity and zero towing recommendation I’d say you’re way over the stock braking capacity there. If you’re a flat lander, chances are you may be OK. If you try to haul that in the mountains of Colorado, game over.
You do realize it's only 0 capacity in the states right? In Europe they have won awards for towing...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
be mindful of that tongue weight, those bumper bolts aren't the most robust.
I'd worry more about what the bolts are attached to than the bolts themselves. Any flat metal structure is prone to develop fatigue cracks over time due to repeated oscillating loads on the hitch going over bumps and curved freeway slabs. I have had that happen to me...and the hitch was rated way over the load and tongue weight I was towing.

·
Read Only
1,015 Posts
Just park your cars.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Heh...the mk7 is number one rated tow car in the uk by its class three years running, where, granted thats the 2.0tdi. Anyone can search threads here and elsewhere for towing, see cars with 2" ecohitches towing various light trailers.

But, yes to those scolds out there,
I agree you should...

never drive on dirt roads!
Or go to the beach with little kids!
Or carry dogs!
Or bunny shavings in back!
Or haul 2x4s on the top rack!
Or put on big tires!

Think of your ceramic coatings!
The carpet!
Odometer fraud!
Warranty!
The climate!

Oh, no's.

https://i0.wp.com/mustreadalaska.co...19-09-24-at-10.55.32-PM.png?fit=750,380&ssl=1

·
Read Only
1,015 Posts
be mindful of that tongue weight, those bumper bolts aren't the most robust.
Thx. The ecohitch attaches to the frame. See install videos at etrailer. The ecohitch is rated 250# at hitch, and thats a 2" towball rated at class3.

I keep tongue weight manageable to what I can lift easily but above the 4% min recommended in UK snd no more than the 10% rule of thumb in US. 75-200#.

I'm very mindful of loading heavy items close to axle and NOT on lever ends. Thats what causes sway at speed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q

This 25 yr old tent trailer empty with one full propane tank one battery is about 1050# by the original manual.

I figure its 1500# with the extra stuff I have on and in it. Lots of people tow more, if you read in comments here and elsewhere, esp see various adventure wheeling forums.

People have been to Alaska and to Chile in old vw vans...and people forget all those roads in the deserts and baja where made decades ago by old 2wd trucks starting with Model Ts...

So far no problems and of course I dont tow like the nitwits in Ram3500s with desert toys attached on back of too big, too light too tall rigs going at 90mph.

I've camped these sw deserts 40 years and count on seeing one or two of those belly up in the ditch coming back...see also Santa Ana winds...

I've towed this thing with other vehicles including a 96tdiwagon to all over Anza Borrego, Joshua Tree, to the beach in remote baja, and carefully up and down local hills including the Grand Escalante...the back road to Bullfrog Landing which was a trip!

Its pretty elderly as am I so for now, the AT is more like a tug...short trips, park for a couple weeks, move on.

I also expect to upgrade the Alltrack S AT 6mt clutch sooner and install bigger brakes when time comes to replace the factory installed.

Theres No free lunch.

So, yeah, I take it easy...and bring backups. Theres a 4' HiLift jack behind the propane tanks and recovery/come along kit in the trailer. The rack in back carries light stuff only, cargo rack and home depot storage box when not on the car hitch, plastic sand mats, firewood, light weight fire bowl and grate.

We'll see...if I find I am overdoing it,
I can easily scale back. I'm experimenting...

ps: have also car camped a big tent using cargo box on top and can haul stuff in cargo rack instead of tent trailer.

TLDR;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

·
Read Only
1,015 Posts
Arena, Thank you for your concern!

Know any good back roads up your way? I bombed thru Denver to GrandJunction on an all nighter a few months ago and have to say the AllTrack was like a bobsled in some rain and light snow over the mtns there. Thats a scary road is you get going too fast fer sure!

No trailer on that ride, and would have taken it slower if I did, engine braking is your friend.

...cracks me up the big huge yellow signs as reminders for cars and truckers..."there's one more steep grade left to go! Slow down check brakes!"

Must be all the bud you all have now...

Here is a another fun one I found by accident looking for a short cut, wandering a bit:

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/3958-douglas-pass.html

-Foo

101 - 120 of 158 Posts