VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks Dave, forgive my total noob question but where does an average non-race guy get "dessicated air"?
If you have a compressor, or any other air source, you can buy a small filter-like unit from a variety of industrial-supply places that has desiccant in it. You pass the air through the desiccant and it removes almost all of the moisture. The desiccant can be dried out when you've used it to its limit by baking it for 45 minutes or so at 350F. McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc. will have them.

Otherwise, you can use N2 or get an air tank and fill it at a shop that has dry air.

What I do at the race track when there is no dry air available is to fill an air tank (or the tires directly) from the track's compressor using the desiccant dryer with an air chuck on it at the end of their air line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey All. What Makes and Model numbers have people successfully fitted?

I’m in the U.K. and looking to fit some Helper Air Bags to my U.K. spec Golf Alltrack (4motion DSG, 184ps 2.0L TDI for info!)

For info the u.k. spec comes with a swing out / swivel tow ball, and is rated for 2000kg braked trailer (4409lbs)

What Makes and Model numbers have people successfully fitted?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Air Lift 1000 Airbags

Well I finally installed the red bags by Air Lift. They were an easy install and comes with 4 spacers. I decided to remove the rear springs, add the spacers and position the air lines thru the sub frame. The ideal location for the air valve was positioned near under the gas filler door, the safest and will always stay clean.
Every weekend I'm off to the flea markets fully loaded. With the Thule box and rear end pushed down with at least 700 lbs. Before I load up I added 35 lbs of air pressure which raised the tail a couple of inches above normal height. Once all in I noticed it lowered those two inches and was held level all weekend. I travelled 300 kms with ease and with the JB1 I had no tail swaying or loose end and no trouble scooting about on the hiways. It was a real pleasure to drive with confidence.
I highly recommend installing the Air Lift 1000 set. Next to the JB this ranks as a great addition to my ride.
Hi, can I ask what model is airlift 1000 you ended up sizing?

I'm coming up with: 60905

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I installed airlift 80753 bags a few weeks ago. They made the ride so much better when loaded up, and no more sag!

I'm running them around 8psi with an empty car but they creak very loudly, which is especially noticeable at speeds under 15mph. Parking lot maneuvers, driveway dips, speed bumps, etc. Has anyone here had that issue, and any ideas how to fix it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I installed airlift 80753 bags a few weeks ago. They made the ride so much better when loaded up, and no more sag!

I'm running them around 8psi with an empty car but they creak very loudly, which is especially noticeable at speeds under 15mph. Parking lot maneuvers, driveway dips, speed bumps, etc. Has anyone here had that issue, and any ideas how to fix it?
I’ve been running the same bags for the last 3-4 years. There were some squeaks in the beginning but eventually went away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had to get some 2x4s today and dont have a trailer hitch yet. Made some roof racks out of 1x6s. Realized when I got there I didnt bring anything to inflate the bags and I wasnt paying 1$ at the gas station for 5 seconds of use... so I drove half way home with the 5 psi I normally have in the bags before I came to a free air spot where I put 12 psi in. That stiffened up the butt nicely and brought the ride hight up to where it was prior to the 2x4s on the roof.

Now I really have to buy a 12v air pump... loving the bags however!!!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Hi, can I ask what Air Lift model you went with for the Alltrack? Looks great, thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well... no thanks to Amazon I finally got my bags. I ended up with airlift as well. Amazon emailed me the day the Firestone's were supposed to arrive telling me they were still looking for them and they back ordered and didnt have a delivery date.

Started looking around and found a U.S site with airlift fairly cheap. With the exchange and duties it was actually 5 bucks cheaper than Amazons Firestone's. So I canceled my Amazon order and bought that. And it just got here today! Now I have to find the time to install them!

I'm still debating if I am going to T the bags together or if I will run them individually. My concern in roll with the T'd together. However a failure or leak of one when they are individual also isnt appealing... I'll figure that out when the time comes!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Hi, Can I ask what size you ended up going with for the Alltrack? Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts

Just wanted to post an update here for anyone that has the same issue. 95% of the creaking/squeaking went away after another month.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs Wheel Rim

Here's one of my AirLift red bags after 4years still hanging in there...one side is developing a slow leak, so I carry a 12v cheapo Amazon inflator and top off as needed, but therwise doing its job holding up saggy butt when heavy cargo loaded, barely level with 150# on the hitch, adding a small teardrop towing.
At one inch lift and B6 front, Atlas rears on OEM AT rear spring.

I hesitate to reveal the use and abuse I subject this thing to as my adventurewagon...to you all for your trashtalking...🤣

But srsly if any sharp eyed cognoscenti see a problem...with my failure to wash better...
(* bonus points to anyone who sees the tiny issue with Atlas shocks at full extension..).
Feel free to speak up- prizes will be awarded.

fyi: Rear B6s and B2Bfabs machined rear extender bolts on order, to replace the Atlas, later and try on Tig OE springs then...to retain extra extension in rear for uneven rutted dirt forest service roads etc.

I may replace new air lines and air bags to fix the leak, but hope and prefer to take out the AirLifts if no longer needed-if the Tig spring replacement works... thats yet to to be determined.

Nice thing about either the blue Firestone airbags or the red AirLifts is they are a cheap date on parts, not too hard to install and/or well worth the paid labor.

Tip: AirLifts website has good instructions on how to measure to fit, and links to muffler and brake shops who can put them in for ya.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
check the valve core, the schrader valves that came with the kit needed a 1/4 turn to seal up.

• Helpful
Reactions: CanuckBird
141 - 158 of 158 Posts