VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2021 Ford Bronco Sport, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with a service guy at the local dealer and he said that he uses Windex all the time on his MKIV paint. He also mentioned that VW advises against waxing the new colors more than once a year (if that). Does this sound right? I just can't believe you can safely use Windex? Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: Anyone use Windex to Clean their Paint? (3WheelGTi)

Windex fume inhalation can lead to strange behavior, and certainly brain damage. Using Windex on paint is something I would avoid, to say the least. It is not forumulated for paints, and contrary to what the Greek family in My Big Fat Greek Wedding says, it is pretty much only good for glass. It contains very harsh chemicals that remove grease, this is true, and it evaporates quickly to leave no trace of streaks. But this will rob your paint of "good" moisture, like wax. Which, by the way, unless VW has started using some new paint that I've never heard of that reacts negatively to wax (
), then your local service guy is sorely mistaken. Trust him about servicing your car (maybe), take a detailer's word for detailing it.

-tslug

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2021 Ford Bronco Sport, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Anyone use Windex to Clean their Paint? (tslugmo)

That's kind of what I was thinking...but he did say not to use anything with amonia (well duh). When I was much younger and dumber I used windex to clean my dad's then brand new Explorer because I felt like being nice...the results were less than stellar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.