VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2021 Jetta GLI Autobahn in MT
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have the 3M Paint Protection Film aka "clear bra" on their 337 or 20th, how much did you get covered or list components if a kit AND how much did you pay?
I tried my best to get a bra by now, but to no avail. My fault for not trying harder I guess. Just washed my car yesterday after coming back from a 12 hr road trip on Wednesday and I discovered 4 one inch scratches on the hood, 3 down to metal. I'm pissed. 5 inches from the front edge too. Damn road debris!
Before someone replies "use search", I did. I'd like to get a comprehensive post of what pieces people got covered and how much they paid.
Opinions of the product are not welcome unless YOU specifically had it done and don't like it, then please chime in.

Modified by Latex at 6:15 PM 7-14-2003

· Registered
7,329 Posts
Re: Anyone with 3M clear bra? Extent of coverage and cost? (Latex)

I just got a quote for the "3M Kit" for Golf IVs. $795 for all "forward facing parts". This includes the bumper, headlights, hood, front corner of fenders and mirrors. Installer said that worse case scenario would be 2 hours install time. To put in perspective, the kit, which is "pre-cut" for the specific car, can be found $150-$200...plus a few hours of your time.

· Registered
10,434 Posts
Re: Anyone with 3M clear bra? Extent of coverage and cost? (colnago)

i paid $505 for mine headlights, mirrors, hood, grill, full front bumper, rub strip, lower front bumper, behind door handles, and even a custom piece for the chin spoiler on the front. i got a deal and didnt pay tax because i sell cars and am heavily going to bat for this guy,
but the full price is about $630
already the price of the kit is paying off, the ease of getting bugs off the car is incredible and no rock chips. i took a 1000 mile round trip 2 weekends ago and no damage
well i have a door ding but the bra dont help that

· Registered
25,744 Posts
Re: Anyone with 3M clear bra? Extent of coverage and cost? (Latex)

Your very best bet is to talk to a few local installers.
If you were to get a $600 quote from a SE Michigan installer, and then you tell him that you saw a guy in Columbus Ohio got a similar kit installed for $475...he's going to point south most likely.
Plus the skill of the installer is important. Will that person make you a custom piece for the lower lip? What about service after the sale.
Trust me, this stuff is worth every cent. I logged 250 miles yesterday and got the bugs off at the coin-op wash in just a few swipes.

· Registered
4,004 Posts
Re: (No. 1837)

$350? That sounds reasonable.
Some of you people are really getting taken on installation, probably because it is a somewhat new product and proceedure (hard to compare quotes.)
You can buy a 14 piece kit from http://www.invinca-shield.com for around $200. That will cover the whole front end of the car including the chin spoiler. Then for another $20 you can order the mirror covers and door pockets as well, along with just about any other piece you could want at an extra price, rockers, a-pillars, rear bumper, anything.
I will have access to the machine that actually cuts these kits within the next couple of months. Then I will probably start a group-buy thread so you can get yourself a kit for less than anywhere online. Then you will just have to find an installer. I recommend trying to find a window tinter who has been in the industry for 20 years or more. They're usually capable of working with the film. I'd never charge or pay more than $100-200 for an installation. Unless I had to cut the film on the car. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
7,329 Posts
Re: (Galvatron)

Quote, originally posted by Galvatron »
$350? That sounds reasonable.
Some of you people are really getting taken on installation, probably because it is a somewhat new product and proceedure (hard to compare quotes.)
You can buy a 14 piece kit from http://www.invinca-shield.com for around $200.

I'm trying not to get "taken".
Like I said, since "pre-cut" kits can be had for $150-$200, I may just do it myself.
Maybe I'll practice by playing "Operation" or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.