VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i have currently exhausted my jetta CL....for those that dont know, its has a 1.8l 8v engine with bosch mono-motronic injection....i am now looking at a nice 1.8T project soon, but in the meantime i was hoping someone would have any suggestions as to getting a larger throttle body, that doesnt cost me an arm and a leg, so a junkyard find.....if anyone knows what car i can steal one off of....it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: anyone with a canadian spec'd golf or jetta CL found a nice big TB? (Belz)

Just about any A2 8v will have a bigger TB than the older A1's. They are made to go on CIS or Digi manifolds. try not to cut too many wires when you get it. You may want to use the WOT and closed throttle switches some time.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: anyone with a canadian spec'd golf or jetta CL found a nice big TB? (kervin)

oh i guess i should of said the year of the car....its a 1994.....so any of the A1 or A2 TB's wont work for me......i was thinking somewhere along the lines of another make of engine, audi maybe? that would have a bigger TB and would be basically plug 'n play
thanks

·
Banned
3,582 Posts
Re: anyone with a canadian spec'd golf or jetta CL found a nice big TB? (Belz)

A 1994 jetta with a 1.8 8v? Don't think we got those here.
Anyway, I don't think yo're going to have any luck finding anything plug and play. Almost any throttle body can be made to work if you put in enough time and effort - try and find something in-house from eg a VR6 VW, or maybe an audi or porsche. There is also a guy who managed to fab up a mustang 5.0 TB to his 8v intake manifold.
This is all a little more involved than simply swapping it in however, and you'd be hard pushed to justify it on an otherwise stock 8v and you'd be looking at increased responsiveness rather than an out-and-out power increase I would imagine.
Still, I'm looking at altnernatives and have half-fabbed an old single-vane BMW TB unit that I'm trying to convert for the 8v.
Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts