VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Yakima Skybox LoPro Titanium

Hi, I have a skybox lopro titanium on my Golf Wagon (JSW) and it fits quite nicely. I like a longer box on a longer car. When I went to the shop to see what the Thule Boxter would look like, I didn't like it as it was too short and gave the car a minivan look...better suited for a golf or Audi A3 imho.

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I have a skybox lopro titanium on my Golf Wagon (JSW) and it fits quite nicely. I like a longer box on a longer car. When I went to the shop to see what the Thule Boxter would look like, I didn't like it as it was too short and gave the car a minivan look...better suited for a golf or Audi A3 imho.
What's the length of your Skybox? Or if you don't know, which model is it (12, 16, 18, or 21) and I'll look up the dimensions on the Yakima site?

Thanks!

· Registered
30 Posts
Yakima Box Length...

Specs straight from the website...

General Information:
Weight: 52 lbs.
Dimensions: 92"x36"x11.5"
Capacity: 15 cu feet. Varies by application. Fits crossbar spreads of 24" - 42". See Fit List for specific vehicle information.

Also a crappy picture of mine...I have since moved it further back by about 3 inches and still have about 1 inch of clearance between the hatch and box.

Good Luck!!

· Registered
13,853 Posts

· Registered
4,395 Posts
i believe the Atlantis 1600 would be the optimal size for the JSW/GSW roof length.
it also depends what you plan on carrying...

i had a Thule Spirit box on my previous vehicle.
it was good for beers and snowboard equipment!

not me in the photo...

· Registered
109 Posts
I know most of you use the box for different stuff, but with the Thule I was able to recently fit on one trip: A Chicco key fit stroller, a snap on table high chair for infants, a collapsed playpen, one 200 count box of diapers, 3 duffel bags, a backpack, and a few shoeboxes. There was still some room left for small things or bags.

· Registered
13,853 Posts
I know most of you use the box for different stuff, but with the Thule I was able to recently fit on one trip: A Chicco key fit stroller, a snap on table high chair for infants, a collapsed playpen, one 200 count box of diapers, 3 duffel bags, a backpack, and a few shoeboxes. There was still some room left for small things or bags.
I think I'd prefer the beer in the previous picture. :laugh:

· Registered
5 Posts
Specs straight from the website...

General Information:
Weight: 52 lbs.
Dimensions: 92"x36"x11.5"
Capacity: 15 cu feet. Varies by application. Fits crossbar spreads of 24" - 42". See Fit List for specific vehicle information.

Also a crappy picture of mine...I have since moved it further back by about 3 inches and still have about 1 inch of clearance between the hatch and box.

Good Luck!!

What cross bar setup? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,072 Posts
I've been using an ugly a** X-Cargo since my then new MK II GLI (1986). Clunky looking as hell, going on 34 years old, but you can stand large suitcases upright and the volume is tremendous. Every time I've looked into an aero box, just doesn't compare as far as dealing with a variety of different shaped items. I could give a rats patootie about how they look...its a wagen.

· Registered
48 Posts
I have been using a Yakima skybox 16 Carbonite for the past 2 years. No issues with tailgate clearance or front end overhang. Amazing amount of storage. In the JSW S 2.5 i averaged 26MPG with it fully loaded, The JSW TDI gets high 30's when this thing is on fully loaded.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.