VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few months ago I had starter issues on my 90 golf. I put in a ford solenoid 30 amp and the car worked great ever since. Last night the car is dead in the water at the inlaws. My girl says all she hears is a clicking noise coming from the starter. I believe it might be time for a rebuild so I need to take it out. I can't find a " how to R&R". Anyone have experience with this task??

Modified by Jeramiah at 5:24 PM 1-13-2008

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
From what I've heard, it's a bitch. It's near the exhaust manifold, good luck.
I've no experience with this myself, so I can't give too much more info, sorry.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Re: (Jaceb-GT)

you didn't drive it to national and have them handle it last fall when you were asking me? i thought you did....bump anyhoo

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Re: Anyone with a DIY for MK2 auto starter R&R ????????? (Jeramiah)

Taking out the start on an automatic Mk2 is a pain in the ass.
It's located behind the engine block and underneath the exhaust manifold. You're going to have to remove the passenger side CV joint to gain access. If you have the ballast weight block that sticks out in front of the K frame then it'll also limit you from taking the starter out.
IIRC, there maybe a heatshield between the CV joint and the starter assembly. If there is one, you're going to remove that. It's held in by 3 bolts on the back of the block.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Re: Anyone with a DIY for MK2 auto starter R&R ????????? (Mk2 SAiNT)

i had the same issue i ended up buying a new starter and alls it was was a bad ground on the starter... this happend at waterfest

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Anyone with a DIY for MK2 auto starter R&R ????????? (Mk2 SAiNT)

Quote, originally posted by Mk2 SAiNT »
Taking out the start on an automatic Mk2 is a pain in the ass.
It's located behind the engine block and underneath the exhaust manifold. You're going to have to remove the passenger side CV joint to gain access. If you have the ballast weight block that sticks out in front of the K frame then it'll also limit you from taking the starter out.
IIRC, there maybe a heatshield between the CV joint and the starter assembly. If there is one, you're going to remove that. It's held in by 3 bolts on the back of the block.

Thanks I knew it was going to be a pain compared to a 5spd. I have to drive 2 hours to get to the car tomorrow and start working on it. I'll do some ground checks first just in case, but I'm sure I have a day of cursing and swearing ahead of me tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

so I drive the 2 hours to the car, put MY! key in and it fires right up.
I left her with it came back home and she calls again it won't start!
I cleaned up the grounds before I had left. I wonder if it could be the park neutral safety switch ??

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

My car had a brand new starter on it when I bought it
It was only like 4 months old, but it went kaput
It would start when it wanted to, and I thought it might just be the wires
When I would turn the key, I could hear the solenoid click in, but the motor wouldnt turn over, but you could also hear the fuel pump running.
I took it off and it turns out the whole shaft came loose inside
It might just be starting when it wants to like mine did

·
Registered
5,727 Posts

the automatic starters take a lot of heat being close to the exhaust manifold and tend to show it. I have a decent functioning spare you can have J...

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Anyone with a DIY for MK2 auto starter R&R ????????? (Mr.BBS)

Cody says for $140 it can get rebuilt at National here in Regina so it looks like I will be doing that this week. Sherri got the car home tonight.

·
Registered
8,131 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Jeramiah »
Cody says for $140 it can get rebuilt at National here in Regina so it looks like I will be doing that this week. Sherri got the car home tonight.

Damn temperamental mk2's. Now let see some pics of yours. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Anyone with a DIY for MK2 auto starter R&R ????????? (uberbaron)

Quote, originally posted by uberbaron »

Damn temperamental mk2's. Now let see some pics of yours. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

search my name I'm sure you'll find a few posts with pics

·
Registered
24,788 Posts

The writing on your 13mm wrench will be embedded into your hand for a good month after you are done. I have modified a few wrenches and other tools trying to make it easier and faster but no matter what I did, it was still a pain to do.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts

u have my wheels
sorry, off topic i know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts