VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man guys, I've had three of these things fly off while driving!
Anyone else?
Low and behold, I had the car at the dealer one week prior to do an alignment and wheel rotation...
When i picked the car up one was already missing. So VW bought one, but in the next week two others mysteriously flew off while driving!
Same places I've driven the last 2 months!
I call the service guy (at holbert's) and he tells me they dont touch the center caps

i dunno?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Re: Anyone's VW wheel center-caps falling off? (FleaDog)

i have had two fall off

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Yeah. I lost two. $15.00 a pop, too.
You can make them stick better by using something similar to bathtub cauk. It fills up the loose space but doesn't harden, so the caps pop off when needed. It's like a silicon paste. I can get the mane if you need it.

·
Registered
813 Posts

I haven't yet. 3000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
385 Posts

I have had 1 come up missing - but also 1 metal VW valve stem cap that I know was on tightly! I was thinking someone decided to get those at the 5 finger discount mart from my car! http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

I've had 2 fall off. I thought someone was looking for a pendant for their necklace, but when I took one of them off I noticed the tabs break off easily. The silicon/caulk is a good idea. You can also find them at vwparts.com

·
Registered
504 Posts
Re: Anyone's VW wheel center-caps falling off? (Mars Noble)

Well, in my experience they come off VERY easily. The black R32 I test drove at Dwight Harrison here in Atlanta was missing one, the front driver's side one popped off on the way home the day I bought it. They stole one off of the "demo" R32 for mine, and then ordered two more.
3 months and 1800 miles later I still have all of mine... better check, now I'm paranoid!

Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
Re: Anyone's VW wheel center-caps falling off? (jlangston)

I have a 20thAE and had this problem. I noticed one missing with no evidence of someone trying to steal it (i.e. scratches around the edge from someone prying it out). I checked the others to see if they were loose and the 2 front caps were tight, but the rear cap came out with my finger and the plastic pieces that clip it into the rim fell into my hand. 2 VW dealers said they wouldn't replace them, but after a little convincing I got 2 free ones. Other people with 20th's have had the same problem. Oh well, good luck getting replacements!
-Raj

·
Registered
692 Posts

I checked mine and tried to pry them off with my fingernail. Couldn't really get a good grip but they didn't seem to want to budge too easily. That could change next week and I may be posting otherwise then.

Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Re: Anyone's VW wheel center-caps falling off? (noka648)

Well one of mine popped off today
So I am looking to replace. Does anyone know where to get one? Do I call vw parts? Any help would be appreciated guess this doesn't get covered under warrenty huh?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Re: Anyone's VW wheel center-caps falling off? (andru1313)

I think it certainly should be covered under warranty if it can be demonstrated that the clips (or however they are secured) is defective in any way.
If someone has a wheel off already, please shoot a pic of the wheel hole and backside of the cap so we can see what's going on. (I had a wheel off last week when test fitting some Monte Carlo's and if I had known, I would have looked into it then.)
Rgds,
Norm

·
Banned
204 Posts
Re: Anyone's VW wheel center-caps falling off? (GTI2856)

I have a 20thAE and had this problem
PLEASE! CUT OUT THE R32 AND 20TH COMPARISONS!
They don't even have their own dedicated forum. We do.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Re: Anyone's VW wheel center-caps falling off? (noka648)

check vwparts.com (pn: 1C060117109Z)
they are something like $35.00 for 4 shipped. oh yeah, that's the pn for the blue/white version. do not have the pn for the stock one. i sent a ? to them, they replied back that i needed the vin.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Re: Anyone's VW wheel center-caps falling off? (YellerVR698)

Well just ordered one from VW parts and the Stealership. 18.50 for one. I am going to see if it will fall under warrenty when I go in there. Oh well if this is the worst thing that happens so be it. I can live with this. Nothing a little glue won't fix.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts