VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well howdy folks, considering getting a rocco from Cali and a friend said I shouldn't due to the more strict emission standards there. Is there any truth to this or should my friend be beaten soundly?
Thanks for any info....

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
Re: Anything I should know about buying a scirocco from Cali? (Pete_Zahut)

BS! You SHOULD buy a California car because there are more 'rocs in better condition here than anywhere. Get someone to check it out for you and take pics if you can't come down first.. where is it?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Re: Anything I should know about buying a scirocco from Cali? (KevinC)

I agree, We have rust FREE cars here!! And I dont have any emissions crap on my car thats any different than other states. Mine is an original Cali car too!! Best place to get one!! WESTSIDE!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Anything I should know about buying a scirocco from Cali? (KevinC)

Well the one I was lookin at I think is from cali its this one
http://www.autotrader.com/find...t=117
if anyone knows anything about it or could get ahold of the guy, I tried but havent gotten any response, that would be swell....

Modified by Pete_Zahut at 4:47 PM 5-7-2003

·
Registered
594 Posts

Ohh man. That Scirocco is in San Diego. In fact its in the same town as me, cause the first 3 digits are the same,....Im going to go buy it from underneith you!! J/K Well, Id Just call him. I have NEVER seen it around, so I couldent tell you about te condition of it. Good luck man!!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Re: Anything I should know about buying a scirocco from Cali? (drumrpunk)

The problem with Autotrader ads is that many aren't recent, so calling is the best way to find out if the car is still even available.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

I just got a Sacramento Scirocco back to Cincy...from what I have, compared to the midwest you can expect maybe more cracks in the dash than normal, maybe a little more upholstery fading, maybe worse weatherstripping.
But...NO rust, not a speck, no soft spots, NOTHING. Even under the carpets. On a MkI, even. (I am a VERY happy guy
) JFDI.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Re: Anything I should know about buying a scirocco from Cali? (Ron P)

I drive down to san diego all the time. I've been looking for a 16v donor car too. Thanks for the hook up, I'm going to go buy it right now. I'll post pictures as I tear it apart......
Just kidding man. That looks like a good buy. As far as emissions go, cali does have the strictest laws next to New York I believe. The good thing about sciroccos is that a new cat converter is all that's needed....most of the time. It depends on if he's added to the engine or not.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Re: Anything I should know about buying a scirocco from Cali? (riteone)

LOL, I remember a thread in the SoCal forum where some guy from NY was asking to do a photo shoot of some nice cars (turns out he wanted MkIV
THey never specify). A bunch of us Socal guys posted pics of our Sciroccos. They guy replies something like "WTF? Is California the lost home for Sciroccos?".

It's bad enough we get all these people from back East moving here, but now you guys are taking away our Sciroccos? As if that isn't bad enough, they have to leave their cozy retirement homes and get sent off to the frozen tundra to get the cancer they never got. J/K I'm sure you guys go through some serious measures to fight off rust.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Re: Anything I should know about buying a scirocco from Cali? (TarmacSpecial)

Quote, originally posted by TarmacSpecial »
A bunch of us Socal guys posted pics of our Sciroccos. They guy replies something like "WTF? Is California the lost home for Sciroccos?".

i remember that...

btw, do any of you So.Cal scirocco guys attend GTGs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Anything I should know about buying a scirocco from Cali? (mr. marlon)

Well thanks for the info folks....I keep trying the number on the add, no answer......I really want to know why it's selling for so cheap. All the nice ones I find up here seem to get snatched up real quick.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mr. marlon »
do any of you So.Cal scirocco guys attend GTGs?

I'll be at the 310 GTG at Ranch Park tomorrow night. Although I'll probably come on my bike, as my Scirocco is in the body shop.

·
Registered
11,372 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mr. marlon »
btw, do any of you So.Cal scirocco guys attend GTGs?

Just back from ND show (850 mile round trip), and we hold "rocs in the fog" cruises up there in the bay area a couple of times a year.. some of us make it all the way up for those too. Local gatherings are another story, can't remember the last time we had one. Maybe it's time to try?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts