VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Re: Anything special I need to know about a 16v swap? (R3)

A1 mounts, rocco mani and dp, unless you wanna get a nice tt dp or header by them or some other manufacturer. dunno what you have for a harness, but if you dont have something that'll work i'm sure the one in the gli should be decent enough to use. unless you wanna go digi 1 or something, i like that option personally and i wouldn't be surprised if you had an extra one of those laying around

uhm, thats really all i can think of at the moment, its a damn straightforward swap.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts

mk2 dp will hit in a mk1 car, you will need a rocco 16v pass. side mount and bracket. might as well replace all the mk1 mounts. i did motronic swap and had new fuel lines made to run the airbox on the pass. side. and bought a supersprint header cause i couldn't find a nice sII 16v manifold and dp.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Anything special I need to know about a 16v swap? (a2lowvw)

when you say hit, do you mean because it doesnt clear under the steering rack? or hit somewhere else?

·
Registered
8,486 Posts

i never tried cause i had 5 guys tell me it hits. when i got my header it sat alot closer to the block than the mk2 exhaust did most likely it would hit the rack or the shifter assembly the mk1 exhaiust seems to be offset a lil more than the mk2

·
Registered
357 Posts

you defintly can not use the the down pipe from a gti 16v cuz it hits the botom of the car and sticks down lower than the botom of the engine. i think it gets in the way of the shifter to. not cool i am doing my swap right now.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts

Definitely does not work since the A2 header outputs are closer to the center of the car and the downpipes will get in the way of the shifter. (Scirocco 16V manifolds exit closer to the passenger side)
You can get a special downpipe and shifter modification thing from TT if you must use the A2 header.
Just easier to get a scirocco 16v header and DP, Thats what I did

Modified by GTIdaho at 10:11 AM 8-5-2008

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.