VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i live in a small apartment that has hose hooks ups but i have not place to store a hose. I was wondering if i am making a huge mistake by just using buckets to dump water on my car.
Also i am planning on taking the PC to the 84. Now it has so many swirl marks and has lost its shine a long time ago but the paint looks to be decent as far as large scratches are concerned. I am still pretty noobish when it comes to my PC but i wonder if i should just start out with an orange pad and Optium compound on the whole car or is that to much? Sorry i have no pictures of the paint but here is one of the car for clicks.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Re: Apartment Style Detailing (The_Black_Pearl)

That washing practice and be a little iffy ... go to this forum http://www.acurazine.com/forum...04468and also while there do bit of snooping around in that forum for Optimum No Rinse ... thats what he is talking about .. you can actually wash a reasonably dirty car with 2 buckets. I have the stuff and it works great.
Another link. http://www.acurazine.com/forum...76335
Before you go the compound route go less agressive to see if it works .. if no the go Compound & orange.
BTW Excell Detail is a great vendor to deal with .. I have bought a lot from him and he is also a detailer so he knows his products.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If you wanna make a trip up to Dublin one weekend, I can show you the ropes on what will and won't work on your ride. That thing is sweet.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (FliGi7)

Question then, how are people washing their cars at self serve spots with a bucket. I have tried this before but the water pressure is so strong i can't get enough of it in my bucket. All i get are suds.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Re: (The_Black_Pearl)

Quote, originally posted by The_Black_Pearl »
Question then, how are people washing their cars at self serve spots with a bucket. I have tried this before but the water pressure is so strong i can't get enough of it in my bucket. All i get are suds.

Don't squeeze the handle when you switch to the rinse setting to fill your bucket. I would also suggest holding the nozzle close to the bottom of the bucket when filling it up and slowly work your way to the top as the water level begins to rise. The more air you allow to be incorporated in with the soapy water mixture the more suds you're going to have.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Re: (The_Black_Pearl)

Quote, originally posted by The_Black_Pearl »

I have a bucket with a sealed lid that fits inside my reg. wash bucket . I fill it with hot water & car wash soap at home then dump it in my bucket at the car wash and then aggitate it with the wash nozzle.

·
Registered
501 Posts
FV-QR

+1 for optimum no rise.... works great
also you can buy those collapsible nylon type hoses if you dont have enough room for a regular hose

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Re: FV-QR (tinygti)

i live in an apartment and wash my car...here's how...
i got an adapter for the kitchen sink to go from the sink facet to a fitting for a regualer garden hose. then...hook up the garden hose, make sure the fittings are tight to seal out the water, and go...
Fill up my bucket outside and go http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: FV-QR (Z-Raddo G60)

Not a great out come but here it is. One pass with optium polish and a pass with poli-seal. Then some meguires gold class wax and a top coat with meguires step 3 wax. I was actually pulling paint off the car when i was using the polish. The paint was about three shades darker before i started. I am happy with the results for the amount of effort put in. I ended up using the self-serve was late at night and then polishing the next day.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Re: FV-QR (The_Black_Pearl)

I doubt that is base / clear paint so what you were pulling off the car was oxidized white dead paint.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Jesstzn)

Quote, originally posted by Jesstzn »
I doubt that is base / clear paint so what you were pulling off the car was oxidized white dead paint.

VW's of those vintage had single stage paint so I'd wager you are right on the money

·
Registered
656 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Levish)

Quote, originally posted by Levish »

VW's of those vintage had single stage paint so I'd wager you are right on the money

No...GTIs by that time manufactured in Westmoreland had base/clear coat paint systems. His color is called Cashmere White and requires a clear coat for proper appearance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts