VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm thinking of doing a junkyard turbo setup and I've pretty much got a line for all the parts, expect chip.
From looking at what the S-AFC does, can I use my stock chip and program a/f ratios from there better (or equal) to what I would get with a chip burned from EIP or ATP?
Right now, I'll run a low boost setup and then go to more boost, bigger injectors and IC when I can get a quaife.
OR!
Hell, not use the stock chip and use the TT 268 chip that I'm running right now with my cam. (coming out of course with FI) --I assume that the tt chip is programmed for more fuel up top to assist with the high lift cam.
Help a guy out!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Re: ??apexi S-afc instead of chip.. 2.0t (za'afiel)

If I understand the operation of this device correctly, doesn't it modify the air flow (as opposed to fuel) to keep the air-fuel ratio constant? If that is the case, and your system is running lean, it corrects by reducing air flow...not the best solution, it would seem, if you are looking for hp.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: ??apexi S-afc instead of chip.. 2.0t (nc16v)

I haven't the foggiest..
I think that it actually controls fuel.
Airflow isn't something that can be as easily controlled, (atleast not in this scenario)
so what it does is does is lies to the MAF which causes the injectors to either push more or less fuel depending on your settings.
So, what's the diffence between this and a chip?? Beside maybe timing? (fuel+spark)
It wouldn't control timing, but it could keep a/f well within means via the 8-12 adjustment points to keep the car in correct operating spec.. The main issue I always hear about with turbos is that that they're either running to lean or to rich somewhere.. nothing bad about anything else.
Heck, I've even heard of whipper-heads putting these things on NA cars and getting improvements. Not something that I'd do, but for a turbo car, especially one that wasn't designed to be turbo. it could probably work fairly well " within reason"

·
Registered
322 Posts

I was just reading about this again on the EIP website...I guess it modifies the signal from the air flow meter. I'm not sure what that means, but it may be useful to a guy like me that wants to keep the stock fuel injection system but needs a little more fuel at higher rpms cause the chip isn't enough. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Re: ??apexi S-afc instead of chip.. 2.0t (nc16v)

It has tables that you can ajust the amount of air the computer thinks that the car is getting. The main purpose for this is if you are having a/f problems or if you just want to be able to ajust your air fuel ratio.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

what any piggyback fuel controller does, apexi safc, hks safr, greddy emanage, or any other one out there, is it hooks into a few wires from the ecu, and the airflow wire is cut. the signal from the sensor is fed into the fuel controller, modified, then sent back to the ecu. what this enables you to do is change your a/f ratio. maybe you need to run larger injectors, this will let you do that, maybe you're running lean, this will fix it, maybe you're rich, this will fix that. the safc has 8 adjustable point to change the values, the safr has 11, and the emanage has 5 without the software but with the software has a full 16x16 table and many other things. people have said that the emanage can't be used on vws for some reason, not sure why.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: ??apexi S-afc instead of chip.. 2.0t (draculia)

Well.. I did a search on here before I posted and what I gathered..
the instructions are for popular asian cars, and kraut wiring is wonky.

but yeah, people are running them, WELL.
and, I just bought one.. a ver2. with new features!!
I guess that I will answer my own question in a few weeks. (going on vacation tomorrow)
--we'll see

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

just remember that unlike a chip, you won't be able to mess with the timing with the safc.

·
Banned
760 Posts
Re: ??apexi S-afc instead of chip.. 2.0t (draculia)

quote:[HR][/HR]just remember that unlike a chip, you won't be able to mess with the timing with the safc.[HR][/HR]​
I'm helping some audi guys develop a piggyback box for the 2l turbo VW guys.I have it about half installed now(started after work).Its laptop programable and it will control timing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: ??apexi S-afc instead of chip.. 2.0t (evoeone)

the s-afc for apexi can be used to see substantial power gains. What this device does is tell your ecu that you motor is getting less air than it actually is, thus leaning out the a/f ratio. Throw in some 110 octane fuel and lean out the mixture. and you'll see some large gains. However, be sure to have an EGT gauge to watch your exhaust temp. your temps should stay some where around 900 degress, a jump in temp means your detonating!
edit: spelling

[Modified by 02redgti, 7:06 PM 2-10-2003]

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: ??apexi S-afc instead of chip.. 2.0t (02redgti)

actually, you can freak it either way, 50/50 + or - for air.
Given that your injectors can take it, you should be able to tell the car to run as rich or lean as you can imagine.
I know that you can run a similar system on NA 911's and get a 20/30+ hp increase with the replacement of the barn door MAF. (assuming you have taken care of the restrictive exhaust.)20/30hp OVER the exhaust gain.
--note, this is regarded by some as pure snake oil in 911 community.
For turbo management however.. I can see no downfall.
We'll have to wait and see, mine comes in a few days. I'll run my gtech on it for
+current setup,
+a/f installed and callibrated
+ cam out and turbo in

·
Registered
2,666 Posts

im thinking about going for both. . .using the atp's chip for their mkiv vr6 system, then on top of that running a s-afc. any suggestions on whether or not this will work? better to have a start first with the chip isnt it?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Re: ??apexi S-afc instead of chip.. 2.0t (vweuroracer)

someone chime in here, is this an ok temp. alternative for dyno time until a chip can be properly tuned? or jstu to have a little more control when the chip is fully tuned?

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: ??apexi S-afc instead of chip.. 2.0t (vweuroracer)

perfect power makes a nicer version that does the same thing but is laptop programmable. pricing is very similar. It's easier to tune maps with a laptop imo in 3d.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts