VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the obvious answer of changing the turbo. What else can I do. List of mods below

APR 91 Program
Megan Racing 3" DP
BCC Dual Exhaust System
Samco Hoses
Mohawk Silicone Boost Hoses
ABD LIC
ABD Inlet Pipe
MBC
Custom Intake with CAI duct
Neuspeed Short Shifter
Opinions on what else to do?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Re: APH Motor: What else can I do for power? (SMOOTH)

Quote, originally posted by SMOOTH »
Other than the obvious answer of changing the turbo. What else can I do. List of mods below

APR 91 Program
Megan Racing 3" DP
BCC Dual Exhaust System
Samco Hoses
Mohawk Silicone Boost Hoses
ABD LIC
ABD Inlet Pipe
MBC
Custom Intake with CAI duct
Neuspeed Short Shifter
Opinions on what else to do?

pullies
upgrade to 3" from turbo back
depending on MBC setup, use race N75 (H or J)
LSD
FMIC
nitrous (careful there)
anything beyond that will require fuel (larger injectors and eventually fuel pump) and bigger turbo

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Re: (SMOOTH)

Is pullies a good move for a daily driver? Whose FMIC? Should the FMIC be the "next" thing to do?

pullies are nice, but only good for a few extra hp. Gives very similar effect of lightened flywheel allowing engine to rev more easily throughout rev band. My lights dim a little bit more at idle (over stock), but otherwise they are good. I have a set from UR (Unorthodox Racing) which includes lightened (and a bit underdriven) crank, power steering, and alternator pullies. Still uses stock belt as the tensioner takes up any additional slack.
As for FMIC, I am going with a BAR Tuning FMIC but there are several choices out there depending on what you are looking for. Some of the GTI/Jetta kits could be made to work with the New Beetle (GReddy, Forge, APR) and then there are others that I believe are Beetle specific (ATP, ABD, BAR Tuning).
The last choice would of course be a custom FMIC. Running stock turbo a large core would not be ideal, but something adequately sized of holding intake temps down on a high boosting K03 1.8t and not giving up too much pressure loss (short piping).
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

Skip the pulley's etc. Put the money towards a turbo upgrade.
Forget the front mount. It will not gain you power. it will just keep you from heatsoaking as quickly.
Install a custom ic mister form junkyard windshield wash parts for less than 50 bucks.
The larger intercooler MAY cause you to loose power due to pressure drop.

I say best bang for the buck would be the Neuspeed Super KO4 kit at $1799. This comes with the necessary fueling upgrades.
If money is not an object, I would suggest the APR stage 3 at Bar tuning. It's a superior product.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Re: APH Motor: What else can I do for power? (slugII)

Quote, originally posted by slugII »

Forget the front mount. It will not gain you power. it will just keep you from heatsoaking as quickly.

depends. You can gain power if your car is pulling timing in the higher RPMS due to increased IAT.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Re: APH Motor: What else can I do for power? (gt2437)

Quote, originally posted by gt2437 »

depends. You can gain power if your car is pulling timing in the higher RPMS due to increased IAT.

Exactly, that's heat soak.
If you spray the cooler with a $50 intercooler sprayer you can have the same effect and prevent the pulling of timing due to increased intake air temps.
FMIC's are good if sized properly.
The sprayer is a better option if you want to save $, be stealth and have the same effect.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Re: APH Motor: What else can I do for power? (slugII)

Quote, originally posted by slugII »

Exactly, that's heat soak.
If you spray the cooler with a $50 intercooler sprayer you can have the same effect and prevent the pulling of timing due to increased intake air temps.
FMIC's are good if sized properly.
The sprayer is a better option if you want to save $, be stealth and have the same effect.

sure it is heat soak, but it is also gaining you power that you never saw.
the sprayer to a FMIC is almost like comparing nitrous to a big turbo solution.
Similar results, but will only last until the bottle is empty.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts

What about the little things like bypassing the n249? Or the n75? Or doing a voltage clamp?

bypassing the N75 will only put boost control in full hands of your MBC which could be good or bad. Some have had real erratic boost from bypassing the N75. The ECU will no longer know why it's input to the N75 is not affecting the wastegate and inturn the boost. This will probably put you in limp mode, but there are ways around this, like with the aforementioned voltage clamp on the MAP.
I would leave the N75 and N249 alone.
by clamping the MAP sensor you should be able to pull some more boost/timing out of it, but not much safely w/ the stock fuel injectors.
For full potential from clamping the MAP, run some 440cc injectors, a VR6 MAF housing, and a larger turbo.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts

So they only thing next to do is a turbo upgrade for more power.

or some means of getting more fuel in there.... The 280cc fuel injectors in the APH are very limited. Unfortunately just replacing them with larger ones is not a complete solution.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

add a Turbo, Twin Turbo!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

Keep stock pullies and get stand alone. worth every extra penny you'll spend. The car will run so much better, even for a daily driver, you'll be amazed, but actually the best thing you can do is make the car run more efficiently basically. i.e. better intercooler, turbo, management etc.
Good Luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: (1fastdub)

I would suggest looking at the ATP Stage II upgrade. Similar set-up to the APR Stage III (same turbo) but much less expensive. Then have REVO tune it with their big turbo software

BTW When is that VW show in Huntsvegas???

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Re: (AU_Bug)

Quote, originally posted by AU_Bug »
I would suggest looking at the ATP Stage II upgrade. Similar set-up to the APR Stage III (same turbo) but much less expensive. Then have REVO tune it with their big turbo software

BTW When is that VW show in Huntsvegas???

would definitely need to upgrade the 280cc fuel injectors to be comfortable w/ the boost that kit is capable of running. Defeats original post request of leaving turbo alone.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

I'll get right on that Garrett!

Twin Turbo, I gotta see that!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: (temporalwar)

Problem im having with my buddys beetle with a K04 upgrade is noone writes any decent programming for a turbo upgrade on an APH motor. I have called all the tuning companies about this in the last 2 weeks and have found that an APH motor is the wrong one to build

1 - 20 of 22 Posts