VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

Do you think switching from Intel is a good idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 16 51.6%
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I choose Not care because I am not an Apple user BUT...

I see this Intel "failure" (from decade long laziness) not only lost one of Intel's biggest customer (Apple), it also created one of the biggest competition for Intel's (and AMD) future.

I see this level of failure is same as Nintendo/Sony partnership failure and created Playstation and forever change the console market.

Intel you will PAY for it.
Apple is 5% of Intel's business. It's a chunk of change but in reality they are probably an annoyance to Intel.

·
Banned
29,811 Posts
Apple was ahead of the curve when it came to maintenance. Back in HS and summers during college, I worked computer retail, and one of my tasks was installing and replacing hardware. Macs were a lot faster to do.
I can't seem to remember the model, it was early PowerPC, but you slide the case off, and the left and right sides folded up and away to give you access to the main board beneath.
I wouldn't say apple has maintained that level of accessibility over the years.

My 2012 MBP was a beast of a laptop when it comes to durability. Only had a minor problem when some moisture got into the touch pad. My newer Asus laptop already has a broken hinge :banghead:

But my asus was also a 2/3 the price of the mac and 10x the performance.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wouldn't say apple has maintained that level of accessibility over the years.

My 2012 MBP was a beast of a laptop when it comes to durability. Only had a minor problem when some moisture got into the touch pad. My newer Asus laptop already has a broken hinge :banghead:

But my asus was also a 2/3 the price of the mac and 10x the performance.
I love reading one of your posts and then looking at your giftar. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I love reading one of your posts and then looking at your giftar. :laugh:
I passed "Sandy Hook Ct." on a bike ride Saturday, and the very first thing that popped into my head was his gifitar :laugh:

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I am definitely interested in this.

The only really demanding task I ever do on my computer's is editing videos. On my i7, 1060ti laptop it will edit 4k files, but it spins up the fans and noticably chugs in premier.

On my couple year old iPad pro, it some how magically can chop up 4k video incredibly smoothly, even though it is reading from a USB powered spinning drive, vs the internal m.2 SSD on my laptop.

My MacBook pro, and Mac mini are definitely not up to the task.

If they can leverage their vertical integration to make their apps really take full advantage of the new chips, then I am in.

The only annoying thing it's the timing. I have been waiting and waiting for the new computers with the better keyboards to come out and I was going to do a total shake up on my setup, but now I need to wait until next year to see how all this shakes out.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I received the new M1 MacBook Pro today.

Yep, this is awesome. I'm no longer doubting it. Thing stays nice and cool, and the battery just barely trickles down. The native apps are blazingly fast, and even the ones being emulated in Rosetta run great. Overall I'm super happy I purchased this.

Reactions: DasCC

·
Registered
19,569 Posts
After living through the 68K > PPC (just barely) and the PPC to Intel transitions, I have to say I was hugely skeptical going about this (just look at my post above) -- but it seems they have pulled it off with very little, if any, compromises.

I am kind of sad that the Mini lost its RAM sockets (used to support up to 64 GB; now maxes out with an on-die 16 GB). The value is off the charts for replacing computers in bulk (new Mac Mini almost has the performance of an iMac Pro) -- I can't wait to see how this scales up.

·
Registered
22,255 Posts
After living through the 68K > PPC (just barely) and the PPC to Intel transitions, I have to say I was hugely skeptical going about this (just look at my post above) -- but it seems they have pulled it off with very little, if any, compromises.

I am kind of sad that the Mini lost its RAM sockets (used to support up to 64 GB; now maxes out with an on-die 16 GB). The value is off the charts for replacing computers in bulk (new Mac Mini almost has the performance of an iMac Pro) -- I can't wait to see how this scales up.
Almost sounds like design working as intended. Apple would rather consumers looking for more RAM pony up for higher spec (and higher $$$) devices.

·
Registered
19,569 Posts
As of right now, 16 GB is the max for any M1 device. That's enough for probably 95% of people, but it has always been nice to pop in an extra stick of RAM to get another couple years of life out of a pricey Mac (possible until the last couple of generations). I guess future proofing is less important now since the machines are actually pretty competitively priced - just get another new $800 one a new one in five years instead of trying to eke more life out of a $2500 one.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,164 Posts
As of right now, 16 GB is the max for any M1 device. That's enough for probably 95% of people, but it has always been nice to pop in an extra stick of RAM to get another couple years of life out of a pricey Mac (possible until the last couple of generations). I guess future proofing is less important now since the machines are actually pretty competitively priced - just get another new $800 one a new one in five years instead of trying to eke more life out of a $2500 one.
This is my biggest hangup, and it's not just for future use.

I do/did a lot of algorithm development, and while I don't have my new Mac Mini yet as a test platform, with the efficient architecture to take advantage of I'm confident it will perform as well as or even outperform my 16-core workstation. But testing is the key word there, because the problem size my algorithms are useful for is 100GB+, and that all needs to be in RAM at the same time.

·
Registered
19,569 Posts
What's interesting to me with fast SSDs is that the swap disk isn't THAT much slower than actual RAM these days -- looks like RAM is about 21 GB/second; the internal SSD is 2-3 GB/second.

I'm sure the 16-inch MBP, iMacs and whatever chip the new Mac Pro ends up using will support more RAM, but it's definitely super interesting to me that the Mac Mini is even in the same ballpark as the Mac Pro of a generation ago.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
I saw one reviewer mention with the unified memory structure, it'll make you relearn how you view RAM and how much is needed. Even iPhones are still made with 4GB of RAM while other phone makers are pushing 12GB

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,164 Posts
What's interesting to me with fast SSDs is that the swap disk isn't THAT much slower than actual RAM these days -- looks like RAM is about 21 GB/second; the internal SSD is 2-3 GB/second.
Yeah, SSDs are awesome. Still not really an option though; even if over the 16GB by a little bit it would be the difference between a 10 minute simulation and a 1.5 hr one, and with more than occasional use the SSD would burn out from the write cycles (ask me how I know 🤣 ).

I saw one reviewer mention with the unified memory structure, it'll make you relearn how you view RAM and how much is needed. Even iPhones are still made with 4GB of RAM while other phone makers are pushing 12GB
That will work awesome to reduce a lot of redundances; unfortunately in my case the data set is the data set. Where it will help me greatly, however, is that the GPU should have access to the same memory as the CPU. There's some things which are flat-out better to process on GPUs, but there's a significant overhead in moving the dataset from the CPU to the GPU and back (if it even fits). So the idea of operating on the same data with either processor is exceedingly attractive.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Few thoughts on this transition.

I was really hoping for a new 12" Macbook with a good keyboard. With the Air going fanless, I don't think this is going to happen, unfortunately. About a year ago I bought one of the few remaining NOS, factory sealed 2017 base 12"ers available from Costco ($800 brand new) and I absolutely loved it, with three exceptions - the keyboard reliability, the bezels (had also just bought 16" so the bezels on the 12" were huge), and ultimately I had to just return it and give up because in normal handling I could feel something loose in the display, shifting side to side. Tried a couple exchanges, same thing on all, brought the last one in to the Apple store to look at during the return window because I really wanted to keep it, they couldn't find anything after opening up the bottom case and were willing to replace the display lid. Figuring it was futile, and hoping for a better product on Apple Si, I returned it and bided time, but it doesn't appear we will get another one. Bummer. Would much rather have that than an iPad.

I bought a 16" MBP last November when they came out, did sort of a unique/balanced configuration right at the $3k mark: i7, 32 GB RAM, 5500M 8 8GB, 512 GB SSD. Classic silver. I was coming from a 15" mid-2010 MBP I never really loved which was an AppleCare replacement for an original unibody late-2008 15" MBP I loved to death. I kept wanting to replace the mid-2010 and get a retina screen, etc., but refused to buy the junk keyboards from 2016-2019 (yes, I'm aware I was trying to buy a 12" MB with one anyway). There was no way I was giving Apple $3k and expecting to get 10 years out of one of those machines. The 16" finally arrived and I was in love, pulled the trigger and it's a flawless machine.

I'm really interested in the coming Apple Si MBPs - don't know if y'all read MacRumors, but all signs point to a redesigned 16.1" and redesigned 14" MBP; the current Si machines are great no doubt, but I'm really curious to see just what Apple can do in an optimized form factor with a second generation chip. Going to be some seriously impressive machines.

My understanding is Apple decided to dump Intel back in 2014 with the Skylake architecture. An Intel engineer was on record saying the biggest complainer of the chips for quality issues by far was Apple, constantly finding problems with the chips. By then Apple had already bought up several Si startups and was well entrenched in making their own phone chips, so it was only natural they'd eventually just do their own chips. Intel continues to fail to deliver anything on time, apparently there's been a lot of ugly political infighting at Intel and the customers are losing.

I think the funniest part has been watching everyone scream about how Apple was going to blow it with Apple Si and it's just like guys, come on - Apple is NOT going to screw this up. Apple is only going to do this if and when they know for an absolute fact they can take a massive, steaming dump on the Intel offerings...and here we are, steaming dump ejected.

That said my 16" is one helluva facebooking machine and will serve me more than well enough for the next 6-8 years. By then I can't wait to see what Apple has available. But kudos to those of you buying Apple Si machines - I may end up caving and picking up a poverty spec MBA as a secondary machine anyway.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,164 Posts
I was really hoping for a new 12" Macbook with a good keyboard. With the Air going fanless, I don't think this is going to happen, unfortunately. About a year ago I bought one of the few remaining NOS, factory sealed 2017 base 12"ers available from Costco ($800 brand new) and I absolutely loved it, with three exceptions - the keyboard reliability, the bezels (had also just bought 16" so the bezels on the 12" were huge), and ultimately I had to just return it and give up because in normal handling I could feel something loose in the display, shifting side to side. Tried a couple exchanges, same thing on all, brought the last one in to the Apple store to look at during the return window because I really wanted to keep it, they couldn't find anything after opening up the bottom case and were willing to replace the display lid. Figuring it was futile, and hoping for a better product on Apple Si, I returned it and bided time, but it doesn't appear we will get another one. Bummer. Would much rather have that than an iPad.
Man, those 12" Macbooks were like G60 Corrados. If you bought one you loved it, nobody else understood why you did, and they broke when you looked at them. We had two but both broke about a day out of warranty.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
If you are hoping for something more akin to the old macbooks, I think you will probably get your wish sooner than later.

With this new architecture Apple will be free to make one of the slimest most performant laptops the world has ever seen.

The air wasn't designed to take full advantage of the benefits, since it is just a new chip plopped in a old case that needed a fan. I am pretty sure they have some new hardware on the horizon, with smaller bezels, and sleeker lines.

I am so far resisting upgrading, and waiting to see what a 16 inch would look like.

However if they came out with a super sexy 14 inch macbook with slim bezels, and enough performance to chop through 4k video, I would be unable to resist.

If they put a touch screen on then it is day one for me.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts