VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Do you think switching from Intel is a good idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 16 51.6%
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
38,962 Posts
You rang?
This is a preview of what I have been fearing. Separate software for the two processor types. Sooner or later, I have a feeling that everything will be an app store purchase. and it will be just like iOS.

Custom enterprise installers that we make in-house? We already have to sign and notarize those installers for 10.15, but will Apple let us create the custom installers we use to get this **** on the systems?

·
Registered
19,727 Posts
JAMF seems more and more integrated under the hood as time passes, I'm sure they will work that out. We are switching from Trend AV to MS Defender ATP and the removal and installation is all being done via JAMF.

If I'm understanding what I've read correctly, it's kind of odd that Chrome is offering two versions. If they recompile it as a Universal 2 app, the same app can run on both architectures. The version they say is for the Apple chip will run both - it's not just native M1 code. I just downloaded the Universal one below and it runs fine on my 16" MBP.

Apple had a similar setup 15 years ago with Universal apps that would work on both PowerPC and Intel, but back then it was common for developers to still offer dedicated apps for each processor type to cut download times in half (an extra 50 MB or whatever was a big deal on DSL). And at 150 vs. 100 MB, the Universal version has quite a bit of extra bloat. Maybe, with the scale of downloads they see, they wanted to save 50 MB times however many million/billion downloads?

1607985890396.png

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
This is a preview of what I have been fearing. Separate software for the two processor types. Sooner or later, I have a feeling that everything will be an app store purchase. and it will be just like iOS.

Custom enterprise installers that we make in-house? We already have to sign and notarize those installers for 10.15, but will Apple let us create the custom installers we use to get this **** on the systems?
That is the plan. You will be able to run the same apps on a Mac as you do on an I device.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts