VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will turning off the chip help save on Gas? I still pay for 93 gas, but would 89 hurt?
5/20/04 Lawrenceville, GA $2.09 per gallon.

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Re: APR Chip and GAS Prices = $$$$$$ (jettaMK4)

Quote, originally posted by jettaMK4 »
Will turning off the chip help save on Gas? I still pay for 93 gas, but would 89 hurt?

haha i paid 2.11 per gallon in Buford, last nite.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: APR Chip and GAS Prices = $$$$$$ (Nameci)

The reason i'm mad is because Atlanta should have the cheapest gas in the country. Because of our gas ports down south.
I found a gas station up in the hills of NC last year where gas prices were $3.00 a gallon. Because it's so far from the city and no one really stops there they have to over charge i guess.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

If you drive it in stock programming the same way as you do in chipped mode, chipped is supposed to be more fuel efficient.
This is assuming you would drive as lightly as stock would permit.
I think this is on their website or maybe in a brochure I saw.
EDIT: I paid $2.25

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Re: APR Chip and GAS Prices = $$$$$$ (blackmagicgti)

try a grounding kit I'm gonna I have a bunch pf 4awg laying around we'll see....
also drive in stock mode more.... and count your blessings $2.09 is cheap these days

boston cheapest place I know in my area is a small Hess station its $2.15 and that is .10 lower than the avg stations

·
Registered
739 Posts
Re: APR Chip and GAS Prices = $$$$$$ (protijy337)

just stay out of the boost if you want to save gas..
otherwise kroger give you 3 cents off every gallon with you kroger plus card.. which a few days ago was $1.999

·
Registered
3,059 Posts

you could actually use 89 octane fuel and still drive in "chipped" mode. you'll just have a power loss.
but if you want to revert back to stock you're going to be doing so for quite some time... i mean it's not like these prices are going to be any lower in the near future. i think we're all just going to have to deal with it. all you can really do is what was stated above, stay out of the boost when you can, thats what i do.
$10 of 93 at $2.05 last night netted me only 4.90 gallons

·
Registered
693 Posts
Re: APR Chip and GAS Prices = $$$$$$ (Mk2Scirocco16v)

just stay off the boost as stated above. it doesnt matter what mode you are in, if you drive it hard, you will use gas and fill up more often. if you dont wanna chill on the pedal, then too bad, we all feel the pain.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jettaMK4 »

Last year I ran my car in stock mode for one whole tank, and then in chipped mode for the next tank of gas. I drove the same route to work every day, with similar driving characteristics, and weather. Both tanks netted a range within five miles of eachother. I think it's just that chipped mode encourages us to bury our right foot in the gas pedal, thus killiing our gas mileage.

Sorry, but I feel no sympathy for your gas prices, out here in SoCal we're paying over 2.60/gal for premium.

As for gas prices in Europe: England saw 5.92/gal for premium last week.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Re: APR Chip and GAS Prices = $$$$$$ (TheGreasyJap)

Quote, originally posted by TheGreasyJap »

Last year I ran my car in stock mode for one whole tank, and then in chipped mode for the next tank of gas. I drove the same route to work every day, with similar driving characteristics, and weather. Both tanks netted a range within five miles of eachother. I think it's just that chipped mode encourages us to bury our right foot in the gas pedal, thus killiing our gas mileage.

Sorry, but I feel no sympathy for your gas prices, out here in SoCal we're paying over 2.60/gal for premium.

As for gas prices in Europe: England saw 5.92/gal for premium last week.

yea cally gets it in the dirt star when it comes to gas prices and for 91 oct no less

but as far as prices in euro also look at the train and public trans systems WAY!!! better then the US! trains are cheap and people for the most part conserv gas Y do you think that chevy suburbans don't sell there! when it somes to the US and public trans I am discussed! poeples mentality is its reserved for the poor and disabled (aka those who can't drive) My friends are always like why did you sit on a 30min bus ride to get to the bar/concert when you can drive???
1.) parking is a beyoch
2.) its my policy not to get hammered and drive home!!!!!
wake up people its a new day one where the US oil dependence is gonna hafta lighten up soon

RANT OFF!

Modified by protijy337 at 2:10 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: APR Chip and GAS Prices = $$$$$$ (protijy337)

Not to go on a political rant but...
The U.K. charges $5 a gallon because their goverment is taxing the gas 95% and that is fact. Our buddy W. is to blame for high gas prices so since i don't like paying $2.00 a gallon and up then I'm voting for someone else come November.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Re: APR Chip and GAS Prices = $$$$$$ (chose2drive)

hahaha Our buddy Bush is all to blame...yall kill me...
Gas prices go up every year around this time...HELLO!?!?
Ill be voting for Bush just to cancel out your vote...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: APR Chip and GAS Prices = $$$$$$ (3In2Out)

Tell me the last time gas prices rose to $2.25 in MA?? Oh, they;ve never been that high??
Does our economy tank every time this year too? haha!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Re: APR Chip and GAS Prices = $$$$$$ (chose2drive)

Are you aware that Kerry voted to pass a piece of legislature to raise gas prices?
Ah..didnt think so..

·
Registered
967 Posts

Also, the economy certainly isnt tanked right now...
Actually, it never actually stopped growing, it just slowed down a lot...which was NOT b.c of Bush...

·
Registered
967 Posts

Egh..either way, we have gotten off track of the subject, I dont want the mod to lock this or something...

·
Registered
311 Posts

i would not put 89 in my car, not in a turbo car, $2 more for a fillup is not worth the hp loss and risk of somethin messing up

·
Registered
39 Posts

Yeah either way we're not going to change each others mind. But as far as the APR chip and GAS Prices, I can't keep my foot off the gas!! Thats why i bought my car to begin with
If you do that math its probably only a $2-5 difference in driving hard or not driving hard. Even if I get 40 miles to the gallon less by whomping on the pedal its still worth it for me.
Closing statement: Lets NOT elect him this time EITHER!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts