VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... i was wondering if there was any of you that had the apr chip or any other chip (neespeed garret...) for a while....(3years....) what are the problems you ve encounter .. what other mods did you have to do for the car to addapt.... warrenty wise.... what have you guys done??...(extended warrenty...or not..)
Thanks .. i want theses infos cause im considering buying one but CANNOT afford some parts to break and my warrenty not to cover the charges...
one last thing.... imagine if you had a problem of some kind thatt was or not related to the chip... is there any way to compleatly return to your stock ECU???... with no proof that you ever had a chip???

THANKS A LOT GUYS...

[Modified by cyberflash, 3:15 PM 1-30-2003]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: APR Chip???....how does your car react after a few years?? (cyberflash)

Dude, you can totally add a "second program" for $150 extra (worth it if you ask me) - you can then switch between "stock" and "chipped" mode...there is no way to tell
APR is the shizzy

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Re: APR Chip???....how does your car react after a few years?? (NeedGTI'02)

I'v had the APR chip for almost 2 years. Only problem I encountered was my clutch looked like a toast at 32K miles and I used to get SURPRISED looks from AMG mercedes that thought my car was slow
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
687 Posts

No, the dealer can only see the chip if he opens your ecu which is something they most likely would not do.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Re: APR Chip???....how does your car react after a few years?? (RetroGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]No, the dealer can only see the chip if he opens your ecu which is something they most likely would not do.[HR][/HR]​
Considering how long you have been a member and your post count, i don't think that you are in a position to say that, because withing the last 6 months there has been a severe crackdown on this, and a lot of dealers are now checking the ecu so that they can void your warrenty. I am not flaming you, it's just that you have missed lots of threads about this very occurance.
JK.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: APR Chip???....how does your car react after a few years?? (westfield32)

quote:[HR][/HR]Considering how long you have been a member and your post count, i don't think that you are in a position to say that, because withing the last 6 months there has been a severe crackdown on this, and a lot of dealers are now checking the ecu so that they can void your warrenty. I am not flaming you, it's just that you have missed lots of threads about this very occurance.
JK.[HR][/HR]​
Don't just assume that just because a person only has one post on the vortex that they have no experience with the topic, or that they haven't been here lurking and reading the boards. I lurked these boards for a year before I posted. It's pretty stupid to assume that lack of board posts means lack of knowledge. After all, I have seen some people with high posts counts that don't know crap about their car.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts

Nothing really since these cars like all other cars are built and sold somewhat detuned to meet all emission and safety requirements.Car makers build cars with several variables taken into consideration like,exhaust noise,fuel consumption,etc.Thats why upgrading your exhaust system will produce more power,but it will raise the noise level.
The one thing that chipping will hurt is the warranty if the dealer finds out about it,although some don't mind.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts

You don't have to upgrade anything else,but you wouldn't be optimizing the full potential of the chip.Allowing the engine to breath and "pass gas" easier would be beneficial by upgrading the exhaust and not so much the intake.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts

Nothing is required if you just add a chip. If you want to put more bolt-on parts on it's up to you.
Exhaust allows the turbo to breathe a bit better, intake will do the same.
There's lots of things you can add on but it's not going to make the chip run any safer, you're just upping the boost from the stock setting to 1 bar roughly which is 14PSI, again which isn't alot for this engine.
No worries.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Re: APR Chip???....how does your car react after a few years?? (essemm)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Don't just assume that just because a person only has one post on the vortex that they have no experience with the topic, or that they haven't been here lurking and reading the boards. I lurked these boards for a year before I posted. It's pretty stupid to assume that lack of board posts means lack of knowledge. After all, I have seen some people with high posts counts that don't know crap about their car.[HR][/HR]​
I agree, but this guy doesn't know otherwise he would not have stated that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts