VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Vendor
20,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does that mean that the APR downpipe for the EA888 3rd gen is ready and we will see the GTI MK7 Stage 2 this year?
The downpipe isn't ready for release but will be pretty soon. A little after the holidays we'll begin showing off the hardware while our guys are building up inventory.

Stage 2 for the GTI is done, we just haven't shared the figures yet. It's all coming soon.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Incredible numbers. :thumbup:

APR ECU Upgrade Calibration Report

170 HP & 180 FT-LBS - Stock - 87 AKI As Reported by VAG
175 HP & 203 FT-LBS - Stock - 93 AKI as Measured by APR
...and another nail in the coffin for those people here that claim higher octane rating doesn't increase power for vehicles that accept low octane rating gasoline (would of course be yet clearer if you could publish measured stock 87 AKI values).

VW sells cars all over the world, so their engines likely can take anything between 85 and 100 AKI and make the most of it. :thumbup:

·
Vendor
20,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Stock results are different (compared to what VAG advertises) because every dyno reads differently and we're using a different type, we have to estimate crank figures (We still provide the wheel figures we measured if you don't like the crank estimates), testing conditions are rarely identical to VAG's super controlled conditions (That could mean we're on a different part of the map that makes more or less power), variances from car to car, and this trend we're seeing where VAG cars seem to have a bit more headroom to make more than what they are advertising.

We actually went back and tried both octanes, stock. Higher octane didn't help performance at all. In some cases it can actually be a little less, especially up top. This is because the calibration is asking for only so much ignition advance and on this platform it's really dialed back. High octane burns slower, so if it's not needed, it will reduce output. Point being, if you're stock, run 87. You're wasting your money otherwise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will this tune work for the Golf Sportwagen 4Motion allwheel drive with the 1.8T engine? This would be a great alternative to the Golf R Wagon if they don't bring it here to the US.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Will this tune work for the Golf Sportwagen 4Motion allwheel drive with the 1.8T engine? This would be a great alternative to the Golf R Wagon if they don't bring it here to the US.
I love the idea of having this as a sleeper car, too. No reason why it shouldn't work.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Stock results are different (compared to what VAG advertises) because every dyno reads differently and we're using a different type, we have to estimate crank figures (We still provide the wheel figures we measured if you don't like the crank estimates), testing conditions are rarely identical to VAG's super controlled conditions (That could mean we're on a different part of the map that makes more or less power), variances from car to car, and this trend we're seeing where VAG cars seem to have a bit more headroom to make more than what they are advertising.

We actually went back and tried both octanes, stock. Higher octane didn't help performance at all. In some cases it can actually be a little less, especially up top. This is because the calibration is asking for only so much ignition advance and on this platform it's really dialed back. High octane burns slower, so if it's not needed, it will reduce output. Point being, if you're stock, run 87. You're wasting your money otherwise.
uh-oh. There are a lot of butt dynos that disagree with that! ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm patiently waiting for the 1.8t Sportwagen also. I'll take mine FWD with a manual trans, and then with this tune. Mild drop with a rear sway bar and some nice wheels... :thumbup: :cool:

I love that you can choose 87 or premium tunes. Want to save your clutch by limiting torque? Then just run the 87 tune and save money at the pump too! Great reason to get a switchable setup so you can switch tunes whenever you fill your tank. Very nice! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oooh man I've been waiting for this. Is the fully loaded software available? I remember having an APR tune on my MK5 Rabbit where I could switch from 87/89/93/valet modes. I would really like to get that again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Already had the tune installed a week ago. IT'S NUTS! My only question is that since I purchased the "Launch Edition" Golf, I don't have a cruise control stalk to change my tunes! This isn't a problem for me yet, as I only have the 87oct tune, but is APR working on a work around for when I decide to have the 93oct installed? Or will it be a "one tune only" setup?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Already had the tune installed a week ago. IT'S NUTS! My only question is that since I purchased the "Launch Edition" Golf, I don't have a cruise control stalk to change my tunes! This isn't a problem for me yet, as I only have the 87oct tune, but is APR working on a work around for when I decide to have the 93oct installed? Or will it be a "one tune only" setup?
They still don't have program switching for MK7, they did say they are working on it.
If it will be via cruise control stalk I don't know.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts