VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Vendor
21,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
APR’s pleased to announce the World Famous APR Carbonio Intake System is now available for the Audi TT, thanks to a new bracket designed specifically for the Audi TT's engine bay.

Product Page:
http://www.goapr.com/products/intake_carbonio_20tsi.html

Carbonio's carbon fiber intake is a truly race engineered ram air design that is available for the first time as an affordable street car intake system. Building from years of experience on and off the race track, Carbonio's and APR's engineering teams have spent countless hours developing a true cold air and ram air carbon fiber design that can be recreated affordably for the street performance enthusiast.

For many years professional motorsport organizations have suffered great expense to properly tune the air intake delivery system for transverse turbocharged engines for use in endurance and sprint races where every last horsepower and pound feet of torque can make the difference in position when crossing the finish line. Historically these designs have proven to be the most efficient and powerful although the most expensive to produce.

Aftermarket performance companies have attempted to capitalize on these designs however the cost restraints have typically resulted in compromise and deviation from the true engineering principles associated with motorsport accomplishment. Don't be fooled by catch phrases and tag lines alluding to a new intake technology or special design characteristic. You won't see any of these gimmicks installed on race cars at the Nurburgring.

Carbonio and APR have gone even further to maintain all oem specifications necessary to integrate cohesively with an otherwise stock engine to avoid raising eyebrows at the dealership. Flexibility was another characteristic of Carbonio's and APR's design whereas the new TSI intake is also suitable for Stage 1 and Stage 2 modified engines all the way up to and beyond APR's Stage 3 Turbocharger System.

Dyno Testing

APR's Carbonio intake system makes excellent power gains over stock when combined with APR performance software and hardware. The intake system perfectly complements the Audi TT Stage 2 exhaust and software upgrades as well as our latest APR K04 turbocharger system!

On Stage 1 2.0 TFSI engines, APR saw an average peak increase of 23 HP towards redline.

On Stage 1 2.0 TFSI Valvelift engines, APR saw an average peak increase of 17 HP towards redline.

The Audi TT engine bay slightly differs from other vehicles on the same platform, such as the Audi A3, and as such, a TT Ram Air Bracket is required to connect intake to the Audi TT.

Audi TT Engine Guide

Audi TT with Chain Driven 1.8 TFSI Engine
Audi TT with Chain Driven 2.0 TFSI Engine
Audi TT with Chain Driven 2.0 TFSI Valvelift Engine

This intake system is not designed for the early Audi TT and Audi TT-S FSI engines.

Application Guide

CI100020 - $299.00 - Carbonio Intake System
CI100020D - $39.99 - TT Ram Air Bracketry (Required)
CI100020A - $15.00 - CBFA Engine Code Secondary Air Injection Breather Hose (Required for vehicels with secondary air injection)

To find an APR Dealer near you, use our dealer locator tool at www.goapr.com/dealer/

If you have any questions about compatibility and such, send them my way and I'll do my best to answer them!

Thank you and Go APR!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice...!

First kit I have seen that will make me break my 'OEM only look' rule for the engine bay.

When will this be available for the TT-RS? Am interested in the looks - I care less about the HP/Torque it makes...hey, that is just me!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have an '10 TFSI car.

Do I need that extra filter thing, or just the intake/bracket?
They can't tell w/o the engine code. Look at the front of your air box, if it has an additional tube going into it, you will need the extra filter thing.

I wasn't sure either, but Chris at apr graves me the heads up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm interested in this intake for a TTS too. Is it, or will it be available?

·
Vendor
21,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does this fit the TTS ?
This will not work for the TTS. I think it would fit, but you'd need to come up with a hose that goes from the back of the intake to the MAF housing.

Arin,

Do you guys have any numbers for the intake/3"dp/Stg II flash ?

Thanks

I have an '10 TFSI car.

Do I need that extra filter thing, or just the intake/bracket?
Do you mean the CBFA breather filter? You only need one if your intake air box has an extra hose running into it in the front like this (although I don't think the TT has this)

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Aftermarket performance companies have attempted to capitalize on these designs however the cost restraints have typically resulted in compromise and deviation from the true engineering principles associated with motorsport accomplishment. Don't be fooled by catch phrases and tag lines alluding to a new intake technology or special design characteristic. You won't see any of these gimmicks installed on race cars at the Nurburgring.
Call me dense, but I fail to see why this intake would intuitively provide such substantial power gains over the stock intake.

In all the marketing text, there isn't a single mention of any technical reason that this intake design would be superior to stock.

So any idea what makes this one "better"? More filter area? (does that really make 10% power difference?)

I would love to see someone else independently dyno before and after this intake on the same day to confirm it wasn't a fluke... the gains are just a bit unbelievable...

·
Vendor
21,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Call me dense, but I fail to see why this intake would intuitively provide such substantial power gains over the stock intake.

In all the marketing text, there isn't a single mention of any technical reason that this intake design would be superior to stock.

So any idea what makes this one "better"? More filter area? (does that really make 10% power difference?)

I would love to see someone else independently dyno before and after this intake on the same day to confirm it wasn't a fluke... the gains are just a bit unbelievable...

Sure, well, let's just discuss the carbonio intake design first.

Carbonio
Air enters the intake plenum through the leading edge of the hood via the air intake ducting. Air fills the plenum, travels through the filter, and goes on it's way to the turbocharger. It's a straight shot and air comes from outside of the hot engine bay.

Factory Intake

Air enters through the leading edge of the hood via the air intake duct. All air is diverted to the engine bay and the intake duct is divided in half. A hole in the bottom of the air intake duct allows engine bay air to suck up into the intake tract. The air is then sucked up and around down to the bottom of the intake box. It's then routed through baffles and comes up through the intake filter. From there its sucked through a hole and into the intake ducting that goes to the turbocharger. It's a complex non straight shot of air that mixes fresh air from outside of the engine bay with air from inside the engine bay. It's extremely restrictive, but it satisfies many different vehicles / engines with one part, and makes the intake quiet since turbo noises would scare most non mechanically inclined drivers into thinking their was a duck in the engine bay. ; )

Here's data collected by an engineering student on the stock intake system vs the carbonio system:

6000 RPM air velocity (FPM) over 1.5 seconds (Higher is better)

Stock: ~3000 FPM
Carbonio: ~3500 FPM

Pressure Difference (kPa) over 1.5 seconds (Lower is better)

Stock: ~44 kPa
Carbonio: ~-1 kPa

The pressure difference with the factory intake system is huge, while the carbonio intake system is straight through and free flowing. This is why we see such a large power difference, expecially once turbocharger boost pressure is increased.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Carbonio
Air enters the intake plenum through the leading edge of the hood via the air intake ducting. Air fills the plenum, travels through the filter, and goes on it's way to the turbocharger. It's a straight shot and air comes from outside of the hot engine bay.
For the Mk5/6 VW's I can see this, but when I was looking at my bay to see if I needed that breather hose, I found it interesting to see where the factory snorkel-looking thing terminates, that there's no opening to the outside. It is blocked (not sealed) buy grill shrouding.

Plus the TT hood "clamshells" over this area quite a bit. You're not getting the same ram-air effect that the intake may offer w/the VW design.

I have faith in the APR products (heck I ordered one) so I'm not stating this to shoot down anything. Just pointing out it is a little different. Would this affect the engineering data below or not?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.