VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yes. The inlet of the turbo is attached to the PCV (positive crank ventilation) system. It's part of emissions to have the vapors enter the intake system so they can be combusted. It's not exactly 'ideal,' but that's what you're dealing with at the moment.

Right, familiar with PCV, but imagining it go through the whole intercooler is kinda EESH!

Time to make a catch can :)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Well, I kind of DYI'd this modification but I wanted to say that I think it is WORTH $150 and you shouldn't think twice about getting it from APR if you want which will be of higher quality than DIY obviously.

What I'm saying is that the modification itself is certainly worthwhile, slightly improved response but the increase in burbles and pops coming out the back end (no idea why exactly) is a HOOT.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Any feedback from the guys who've purchased one ? This is almost stocking stuff'r territory :p

·
Registered
23,422 Posts
I could be wrong but I always thought this turbo "muffler" was in place as part of the strategy to inhibit feedback in the rpm range when the turbo just comes on. That is, without it, you get a fluttering noise and with it a slight modulation of power when you traverse the rpm range where the turbo starts to spool up.

I could therefor understand that this improved model would increase throttle response in this particular region or anywhere when the car was without boost just before - but you might also get some sounds and power modulation not everyone likes. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I could be wrong but I always thought this turbo "muffler" was in place as part of the strategy to inhibit feedback in the rpm range when the turbo just comes on. That is, without it, you get a fluttering noise and with it a slight modulation of power when you traverse the rpm range where the turbo starts to spool up.

I could therefor understand that this improved model would increase throttle response in this particular region or anywhere when the car was without boost just before - but you might also get some sounds and power modulation not everyone likes. YMMV.
Interesting that you mention that. Just last night I was hooning about with the car on a quick bachelor-style grocery run and I noticed that when I'm in second and I floor it and then get off the gas just as peak boost comes in, the car KEEPS boosting (and climbing/peaking) for another second or so. Not what you expect when you're getting off the gas to stop because there's someone in front of you. I say second gear since in first there is absolutely no grip on boost anyway so it doesn't matter :laugh:

This surging is possibly related to the improved/more direct flow out of the turbo which is normally disrupted somewhat by the muffler (also helping the turbo spool down more quickly due to back pressure perhaps) and a sure sign this delete has a significant impact. So this is one possible side effect to keep in mind. Would I undo the mod?

Hell no, that's like saying I'll drive a Tercel so I don't get into a high speed crash.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Well, I kind of DYI'd this modification but I wanted to say that I think it is WORTH $150 and you shouldn't think twice about getting it from APR if you want which will be of higher quality than DIY obviously.

... but the increase in burbles and pops coming out the back end (no idea why exactly) is a HOOT.
THIS. A million times this. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here's a quick review that I posted on golfmk7.com:

"Yes, it was shot with the GoPro that came with my car on a suction cup mount. With the APR intake, the interior sound level really isn't drastically changed. The pitch of the turbo has changed a little bit, and I can hear more mechanical coarseness from the turbo, but the sound level of spool has only increased a little bit, and is not very noticeable with the windows up unless I really get into high boost. I would be curious to hear what the guys running an unenclosed intake (like the Injen) have to say about it, since they can hear what is going on with the turbo a lot better than I can.

It feels like it has helped the performance of my car slightly, spool comes on very quickly and easily now. I'm currently running the stock catback on my car, I'll report back when I throw my Flowmaster back on to see if I can confirm some of the claims of increased 'pops and growls' like some people have said they experienced."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's a quick review that I posted on golfmk7.com:

"Yes, it was shot with the GoPro that came with my car on a suction cup mount. With the APR intake, the interior sound level really isn't drastically changed. The pitch of the turbo has changed a little bit, and I can hear more mechanical coarseness from the turbo, but the sound level of spool has only increased a little bit, and is not very noticeable with the windows up unless I really get into high boost. I would be curious to hear what the guys running an unenclosed intake (like the Injen) have to say about it, since they can hear what is going on with the turbo a lot better than I can.

It feels like it has helped the performance of my car slightly, spool comes on very quickly and easily now. I'm currently running the stock catback on my car, I'll report back when I throw my Flowmaster back on to see if I can confirm some of the claims of increased 'pops and growls' like some people have said they experienced."
Sounds good!

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is, clearly, meow, required viewing. EPIC!

Why'd we pull you over, meow? Because you own a GTI MKVII, meow, and you're diving it like a little girl and... little girl and... A little girl and....

So awesome.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.