VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I tuned it stage one at 300miles, then by 1500ish I was stage 2+ Not a single hiccup yet. This is with an APR tune.

Who will be doing your flash in KC?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stage I won't work

I made the decision to bolt on some extra power via Stage I upgrade. So... I found my local APR dealer and wheeled my 2015 A3 in for the flash. I signed the release forms and said I'd be back at the appointed time to pick up my "enhanced" car. Later, I received the email release from APR and clicked the approval - we were close. Then, the phone call: "We have some not-so-good news..." The dealer explained that my ECU could not be flashed, that APR was working on this, and that they'd call me when APR figured this out. I guess that there is a date range of newer ECU's that APR has not cracked yet? Just a little bit disappointed.:(

Has anyone else experienced this, or is there any further info on this?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I made the decision to bolt on some extra power via Stage I upgrade. So... I found my local APR dealer and wheeled my 2015 A3 in for the flash. I signed the release forms and said I'd be back at the appointed time to pick up my "enhanced" car. Later, I received the email release from APR and clicked the approval - we were close. Then, the phone call: "We have some not-so-good news..." The dealer explained that my ECU could not be flashed, that APR was working on this, and that they'd call me when APR figured this out. I guess that there is a date range of newer ECU's that APR has not cracked yet? Just a little bit disappointed.:(

What was the basis of the release forms? I assume this is a newer thing? I remember when I had a previous car APR flashed at a dealership, it stated on the receipt that basically the apr tune voids the powertrain warranty.

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
What was the basis of the release forms? I assume this is a newer thing? I remember when I had a previous car APR flashed at a dealership, it stated on the receipt that basically the apr tune voids the powertrain warranty.

:)

The dealer first has you sign a waiver, absolving them from any liability should you suffer damage. The email thing is actually an automated part of the flash process. The email is sent and the upload will not start until the customer clicks the "accept" button, which releases APR from any liability

·
Registered
14 Posts

I received the same notice in July when I added the mod. It seems that VW/Audi had issues with a version of the turbo. What i have read is that Audi replaced the turbo during periodic maintenance or prior to leave the lot. VW on the other hand is waiting for the turbo to go up. When I was in to get my TCU flashed a 2015 GTI just had the stage 1 mod done. Drove the car from the installer and then returned it seems he had a bad turbo.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

Yes, I can't flash my 2016 S3 due to the ECU being locked. APR is working on it. They have told me this many times. I'm just getting all the supporting mods now so I'm ready for tune when it comes out.

I did look into United Motorsports, but they don't have a dealer in Alaska. So they told me tuff Sh!t and won't help me. Guess they don't like money. Even my local tuning shop would like to be a dealer for them and they are not getting a response from UM.

Lee

·
Registered
80 Posts
I really want to do the ECU APR Stage 1 to my A3 1.8T but Im a bit afraid, does it really worth it? do we really get to feel the difference?

Its like 50-60hp from stock to Stage1, im not sure how big of a deal is this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really want to do the ECU APR Stage 1 to my A3 1.8T but Im a bit afraid, does it really worth it? do we really get to feel the difference?

Its like 50-60hp from stock to Stage1, im not sure how big of a deal is this.
No its 81 HP and 91TQ.

Pretty significant. I don't think there are many tunes out there giving such an increase.

That's a 43% increase in power. If that's not a big deal I don't know what is...

I have the 1.8T Quattro. But I have to wait for MY16 ECU's to be cracked before I can tune... Dying to do it. Im so used to the power in my car I need something fresh.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
No its 81 HP and 91TQ.

Pretty significant. I don't think there are many tunes out there giving such an increase.

That's a 43% increase in power. If that's not a big deal I don't know what is...

I have the 1.8T Quattro. But I have to wait for MY16 ECU's to be cracked before I can tune... Dying to do it. Im so used to the power in my car I need something fresh.
Hello, I saw your cars on another forum, do you mind sharing the photos here as well? Those photos look great! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, I saw your cars on another forum, do you mind sharing the photos here as well? Those photos look great! :D
Yeah for sure... here you go:

MY16 A3 Sedan 1.8 TFSI Quattro - Monsoon Grey - S-Tronic - S-Line - Technik - Comfort - Opti-Coat Pro+ - Tints - Spulen Spacers (15/10mm) - APR Carbon Intake - APR Turbo Muffler Delete

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hows the experience been?

@Optimus812 hows the experience with stage 1 tune been so far? I am planning to get the APR stage 1 tune on my 2015 CPO Audi A3. What would be your advice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
And another thing, the S4 is supercharged. The A3 is turbocharged. Chip tuning a turbo to make more power is easy; you just tell it to take some of that excess air it was venting to the atmosphere and route it to the engine instead (and yes, changing the fueling to match). There isn't a whole lot of excess air with a supercharger. If you want more, you have to - at the very least - change how fast the supercharger spins, i.e. change the pulley.
Not true at all when it comes to the 3.0T engine that is in many of Audi's higher-performing vehicles. IE performance offers very simple ECU tunes that grant around 420 hp and 400 torque without any pulley change. So while it may be possible that other supercharged engines need a smaller supercharger pulley the S4 does not need one to gain a significant amount of power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fast is a measure of velocity, as such I would imagine that both the A3 and the S4/S5 have the same speed governor. If you mean quick, a measure of acceleration, well then that is determined by more than just raw power.

0-60 times by the way, are a near useless measure of performance. To give you an example, say car A peaks at 60 mph in 2nd gear and car B peaks at 59, needing 3rd gear to hit 60. They both go from 0-59 in 5 seconds. They both go 0-61 in 5.5, but car A goes 0-60 in 5.1 to car B's 5.4. That gear change added time, but didn't add velocity. If you don't believe me about 0-60 being a near useless measure of performance, name me one race series where the winner is the guy who can hit a certain velocity the quickest.
Fast is not a measure of anything and neither is quick rather they are both concepts that are used to describe either acceleration or velocity. The measurement of velocity is speed which is derived from displacement and acceleration is derived from velocity which is measured in distance over time squared. And as far as your last line there a simpler way to put it would be who can accelerate the fastest. Where you indirectly described the derivative of velocity. It is all really basic calculus and it's apparent that you know nothing about calculus based on the sloppy description and lack of knowledge that you displayed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some of y'all act like APR is the only tuning company that exist. :sly:

Why not look at other companies such as Unitronic, Revo, or GIAC? GIAC was the first company to even provide tunes for the VAG family and I would trust them over APR who seems to rush product development. On top of that, APR is now under new management due to poor financial decisions and we won't know what the future outcome
of that will be.

Not trying to hate on APR or anything, I just wish people would compare and contrast different tuning companies and their product offerings before just blindly saying "Go APR". 🤦
Exactly, Now IE offers the complete package for you to do all the tuning yourself and it is really easy and less expensive than bringing it to a shop

·
Registered
4 Posts
It just comes naturally?

Who has said that? The OP specifically asked about APR's tune. Why would anyone - except trolls - chime in with, "Well, I know you asked about APR, but fark them. Go GIAC."

And how do you want someone to "compare and contrast different tuning companies and their product offerings" as it relates to the 2015 A3? Are you suggesting that there are that many people out there who have had two or more of GIAC's, APR's, REVO's and Unitronic's tunes on their 2015 A3. Because unless you find that person, all you're saying is that we should magazine race and declare a winner.

By the way:

GIAC - lists software for the 2005-present A3 with either the 2.0 FSI or 2.0 TSI engine. The 2015 A3 has the 2.0 TFSI engine.
Unitronic - Unitronic’s 2.0 TSI Gen3 Performance Software for the MQB platforms will be available at H20 International, on-site at the show only. A full global release will ensue in the weeks following H20i for those who are unable to attend the event, through Unitronic’s Worldwide Authorized Dealer Network, along with more details and exciting data.
REVO - LIsts softwear for the "197bhp Petrol 2.0 TFSI" and the ""200bhp Petrol 2.0 TSI". The 2015 A3 2.0 has 220bhp.

So, the only show in town right now seems to be APR.
He is obviously saying to research before buying and there are others that offer tunes that do not require a tune shop to put them on.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts