VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've gotten the mod bug and it's pretty bad. I bought my GTI January 1st this year and can't stop modding it. Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to flash the stage 2 tune with the mods I have or just stay stage 1? Is there a noticeable difference? What if anything changes from Stage 1 to Stage 2? I have heard that the power is delivered smoother but I feel like I have achieved smooth delivery with the addition of the APR downpipe, AWE TOP, and Neuspeed TBP. Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
So I've gotten the mod bug and it's pretty bad. I bought my GTI January 1st this year and can't stop modding it. Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to flash the stage 2 tune with the mods I have or just stay stage 1? Is there a noticeable difference? What if anything changes from Stage 1 to Stage 2? I have heard that the power is delivered smoother but I feel like I have achieved smooth delivery with the addition of the APR downpipe, AWE TOP, and Neuspeed TBP. Thanks in advance.

Matt
So there are alot of threads that already discuss this. I went stage 1 first and then added my turbo back exhaust and intake and then went stage 2 about 3 months after installing them. I would say go stage 2, it just seems much smoother in power delivery and performance. I will state that the reason i waited was so that i could get it flashed for free at Waterfest rather than paying to go from Stage 1 to stage 2.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Matt
Go with the Ko4 if you can afford it. Much more power than the ECU tunes will provide. I have it on my GTI.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I would go K04 as well because you already have a downpipe. That would be the best bang for the buck. Stage 2 vs K04 big difference.:thumbup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Most certainly is. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
From what I was told, there's no performance difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2. The difference or power gain from Stage 1 to Stage 2 is with the DP installation, which you already have. The Stage 2 flash is to simply eliminate the CEL error code from the DP installation, nothing more. Some folks would argue that Stage 2 power delivery is smoother, not sure about that, but my butt dyno cannot differentiate the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 (merely 20hp give or take), hence, I'm sticking with Stage 1. If you want a more noticeable power gain, go K04. I'm sure your butt dyno will feel the difference there :laugh: :beer:.

·
Registered
944 Posts
From what I was told, there's no performance difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2. The difference or power gain from Stage 1 to Stage 2 is with the DP installation, which you already have. The Stage 2 flash is to simply eliminate the CEL error code from the DP installation, nothing more. Some folks would argue that Stage 2 power delivery is smoother, not sure about that, but my butt dyno cannot differentiate the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 (merely 20hp give or take), hence, I'm sticking with Stage 1. If you want a more noticeable power gain, go K04. I'm sure your butt dyno will feel the difference there :laugh: :beer:.
You were told wrong my friend. It does give you a little more HP. While not much it will make the car smoother and IMO it's worth it. If you're already stage 1 why not just spend the $50 a go to stage 2. You'll get rid of the cell in your face (Until the classic VW symbol appears for something else) and have smoother power. But as stated, if you plan on going K04 just do that instead. If not then stage 2 is the way to go.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
If you run a boost gauge and test before and after you will find you are pushing more about 2 more PSI (YMMV) with a stage 2 flash over a stage 1 and will yield about 20 more HP.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

Matt
You have an aftermarket Downpipe? You should have flashed your ECU to Stage 2 already!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go with the Ko4 if you can afford it. Much more power than the ECU tunes will provide. I have it on my GTI.
What else do I need to go K04? Do I need larger injectors or hpfp? Any particular K04 you recommend? How about a stock golf r k04?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.