VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've heard people saying going from stage 1 to stage 2 is just like going from stock to stage1..
however, i have also heard people say that DP+stage2 does not really provide a huge increase in peak numbers...
and i have seen dynos comparing stage 1 and stage 2 and while there are some increases here and there... it didn't really seem like much.
so what's the real story? what do you guys thinK?

· Registered
180 Posts
Re: APR Stage 2 not all that it is cracked up to be? (mithong)

Initially did not seem like a big difference going from Stg1 to Stg2, lost a little bottom-end but top-end felt better. However, after I added the fuel pump to the Stg2 there was a huge difference.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: APR Stage 2 not all that it is cracked up to be? (Arin)

Quote, originally posted by Arin »
Stage 2 gave a bit more pull.. stage 2 w/ the fuel pump and fuel pump tune gave it a **** load more.

so it seems that the stage 2+ dp is not worth the money

· Registered
7,244 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mithong »

so it seems that the stage 2+ dp is not worth the money

Depends on what you want... If you want the downpipe anyways, you'll be getting the software free (minus install costs if you have any). You'll need an exhaust to really support any more power gains, so if you wanna spend the cash, it's what you gotta do.
If you enjoy your car being almost stock with just the reprogramming, stage 1 is probably your best bet.

· Registered
454 Posts

Just wanted to chime in here cuz I just installed an AWE DP and APR Stage 2 upgrade yesterday (I've had APR Stage 1 installed since January).
MY DRIVING IMPRESSIONS: Stage 1 was strong and pulled hard... DEFINITELY an improvement over stock, but the car tended to feel strained at the limits. At WOT, the car felt strong, but a little hesitant at times.
Now with stage 2, max power comes on.... AND STAYS ON. Peak power is only marginally better than stock (according to my butt dyno), but it feels so much more EAGER to go go go... And power is effortless. The freer exhaust flow from just a downpipe makes a world of difference.

Modified by chewbacca5017 at 1:45 PM 4-4-2008

· Banned
12,402 Posts
Re: APR Stage 2 not all that it is cracked up to be? (chewbacca5017)

You guys also have to understand that the K03 is for midrange grunt, not
top-end power. I have APR StgII with test pipe software, and the midrange
increase is noticeable, and the pull to 5500rpms is stronger. Getting a larger
DP is worth it. It's less than $400. Might as well if you already have StgI.
Personally, I'm going to do the upgraded fuel pump after I get my new clutch.
After that, well... I'll probably leave it at that, because it gets expensive
afterward, lol.

· Registered
5,665 Posts
Re: APR Stage 2 not all that it is cracked up to be? (LeBlanc.)

Quote, originally posted by LeBlanc. »
You guys also have to understand that the K03 is for midrange grunt, not
top-end power. I have APR StgII with test pipe software, and the midrange
increase is noticeable, and the pull to 5500rpms is stronger. Getting a larger
DP is worth it. It's less than $400. Might as well if you already have StgI.
Personally, I'm going to do the upgraded fuel pump after I get my new clutch.
After that, well... I'll probably leave it at that, because it gets expensive
afterward, lol.

Exactly. I went from stock tune directly to Stg 2 since I had the intake and DP already, so I can't say how Stg 1 was, but obviously the turbo's can't hold the boost up top like a K04 or bigger can.
Which clutch are you going with? South Bend?

· Registered
396 Posts

I'm kind of an old guy (32) so I'm not as "in tune" with my car as others. None the less I like to go fast. I bought the APR DP and Stage 2 and noticed a definate increase in power from 3000 to 4500. Throttle response is a little better as well.
Noise is pretty good connected to stock exhaust. sounds stock cruising on highway, more then 1/4 throttle application gets significantly louder. But sounds pretty nice. I like it!

· Banned
12,402 Posts
Re: APR Stage 2 not all that it is cracked up to be? (g60_corrado_91)

Quote, originally posted by g60_corrado_91 »

Exactly. I went from stock tune directly to Stg 2 since I had the intake and DP already, so I can't say how Stg 1 was, but obviously the turbo's can't hold the boost up top like a K04 or bigger can.
Which clutch are you going with? South Bend?

yeah, stg 2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.