VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think the APR Stage 3 kit is capable of in the 1/4 in an MK2? I thought a VR6-T but the thought of a Daily driven Turbo built motor with better gas mileage would be better. I want to keep the VR all motor anywayz so...

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 1.8T in MK2... (VRC-YA)

You just described my dream. There are a bunch of guys with 1.8T setups in a Mk2, and most of the guys who wanted special HP levels went custom (SDS, etc). However, I've long since thought how COOL it would be to make a 1.8T APR Stg3.
Keep in mind that most people use a longitudinal cable-drive 1.8T motor (albeit mounted transversely) when they do a Mk2 drop-in. Because of this, and the space limitations, there would be tight clearances for the turbo, the manifold, the piping, etc.
While it could be done, I'd expect you'll pay $300-1000 in extra labor/parts to make it work 100% (the wide range being dependant on how much of a DIY kinda guy/gal you are). But it would be awesome.... toss an LSD into the mix, and some stickies, and beefy axles... that would be AMAZING!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 1.8T in MK2... (Shaka)

quote:[HR][/HR]You just described my dream. There are a bunch of guys with 1.8T setups in a Mk2, and most of the guys who wanted special HP levels went custom (SDS, etc). However, I've long since thought how COOL it would be to make a 1.8T APR Stg3.
Keep in mind that most people use a longitudinal cable-drive 1.8T motor (albeit mounted transversely) when they do a Mk2 drop-in. Because of this, and the space limitations, there would be tight clearances for the turbo, the manifold, the piping, etc.
While it could be done, I'd expect you'll pay $300-1000 in extra labor/parts to make it work 100% (the wide range being dependant on how much of a DIY kinda guy/gal you are). But it would be awesome.... toss an LSD into the mix, and some stickies, and beefy axles... that would be AMAZING![HR][/HR]​
Exactly what he said!!!

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 1.8T in MK2... (BUBB RUBB)

quote:[HR][/HR]Bah, for all the cash for the swap, I would built a turbo kit with out any limitations, unless you are doing it for smog and intend to keep DBW
[HR][/HR]​
thats what I think. If your gonna go through with a swap like that, then why limit to a stage.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Re: APR Stage 3 1.8T in MK2... (silberne bullet)

quote:[HR][/HR]no traction? get a sycnro awd system in it too while you're at it. I intend to build a 1.8t MKII syncro gti
[HR][/HR]​
Syncro can't handle that kinda TQ.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: APR Stage 3 1.8T in MK2... (Shaka)

quote:[HR][/HR]While it could be done, I'd expect you'll pay $300-1000 in extra labor/parts to make it work 100% (the wide range being dependant on how much of a DIY kinda guy/gal you are). But it would be awesome.... toss an LSD into the mix, and some stickies, and beefy axles... that would be AMAZING![HR][/HR]​
Well yeah I'm expecting to do it myself with a friend that has done tons of swaps before. Right now I'm looking for the car and parts I'm gonna need for the swap. Then it'll be time to search for an engine. Damn I love V-dubs...to great motors too choose from. All motor VR or 1.8T http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

there are some boys from maine that have all ready done this, not with the apr stage three but with atp parts and lots of custom work......and some real fast cars
another maine boy with mk2 1,8tw/k04 is in the mid 13's
i dont have any # on the other 3 cars but they kick some but at the track every week. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by euro 20v, 10:01 PM 2-6-2003]

·
Registered
3,892 Posts

My only thought would be lack of space and the large turbo. I think to do it you would have to modify the firewall, but i'm not certain. It would be sweet though...traction is another good point...my chipped a2 1.8t loses traction all the way through first and second hitting and the beginning of third at full throttle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.