VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
APR Stage II+ ECU vs. Stock - Side by Side Comparison Video @ Altitude (5600ft)

Hey all - Since I got my APR Stage II+ ECU tune and mods installed on the '12 GLI up here in Denver, I have been running a few "Laymans Runs" to see if I could somehow quantify the difference that a Stage II tune makes above and beyond stock at altitude (Since I know that makes a significant difference)

When I was researching Stage I and Stage II ECU tunes, there was tons of information on the torque and HP increases, lots of testimonials on how its a night and day difference (Which holy cow is it a big difference - The torque is amazing, its a completely different car)

But alas, part of me wanted to see what the 0-60 and 40-60MPH times would be in my real world driving experience above sea level. But 0-60 times are SO irrelevant in most cases because there are just so many factors that effect it - Its hard to get any numbers that really mean anything, especially from a noob like myself - I know - I wanted to see them anyway :) Its my goal to be able to improve my driving skills enough where I can approach the maximum the car can deliver, and I wanted a baseline to use on my quarter mile runs over here at Bandermere.

Now, im not a pro - Ive not been to the track exactly zero times (so far), and I am far from the best driver to be publishing a 0-60 run which represents what the car can do. These times are published as a "Real World Best Try" from a daily driver who is using common sense and a bit of research in an attempt to fine tune some skills.

So a couple more disclaimers - My car does not have the DSG flash yet, which means no launch control. These are the stock tires, which are quite frankly a disappointment. And I havent installed the traction control mod, and the wheel spin was crazy on Stage II takeoff - And the stock DSG has a horrible launch lag where the clutch seems to run home to momma when you throw a lot of torque at it from a standstill, so it just sits there for a good second and a half after you put it down wondering what it should do before it starts moving (But the DSG is great after that, very fast shifts) I feather it as much as possible to try and keep this down, but its still there, and im sure its costing me at least a second. But if someone has launch control or an MT, feel free to post some findings of your own, I would be very interested in seeing them.

These runs were conducted on the same stretch of pavement, back to back, same ambient temps, all within about an hour. Data was collected with Torque for Android reading ECU data directly from the OBD2 port. There are small margins of error on these numbers, but the interface was set to poll in fast mode as quick as possible.

The Tests compare a Stage II+ 100 Octane program to Stock.

If you have any of your own information, timings, or official tickets post them here, I would love to see what you all are getting with your tunes, with or without altitude.

And while the timings I did here show a top 40-60 of 2.3 seconds, I did pull a 1.9 second 40-60 on the way back hitting more of a sweet spot in the shift points (woot!)

·
Registered
225 Posts
anyone know what the REAL 0-60 time is for stock GLI's? Car and Driver said their best run was 6.4 seconds and that was with a manual transmission...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
anyone know what the REAL 0-60 time is for stock GLI's? Car and Driver said their best run was 6.4 seconds and that was with a manual transmission...
A very good question, and one I asked which nobody could answer (Hence this post of my own times after I got one). The times you find are all over the map. Some say 7.9. Some say 5.7. It is so heavily influenced by the driver, the temperature, altitude, tires, barometric pressure, intake temp, and if you showered in the last 30 minutes or not. :p

Manufacturers aren't willing to commit because they know this - Individual reviewers (like Motortrend and Car and Driver, etc) have pro drivers, but can be biased and with all the possible elements out of individual control (Even theirs), how do you even define "Real Time" - Only thing I could see is to have folks post their times with similar setups and conditions, at least then you can get a "Range" at which you can personally aspire to (But I hear ya, where is the fun in that?)

I found that the same driver in the same conditions with side by side comparisons at least let you see the delta, which is arguably of more use (After all you want this number to compare it to something you already feel and know). I would love to have seen a side by side of me driving my MKV stock next to my MKVI Stage II when I was making the decision. Kinda like a street race on yourself you can actually feel......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts