VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read title ^^^
Both use quality parts, both make excellent hp/tq, and both have excellent software written specifically for the setup.
I'm trying to start a pro's/con's thread here. It's either you guys or the shrink.. I really cant decide. NS01GTI and Zink have been helping me with my decision.

--------
My current setup:
--------
337 GTI 15k miles
APR 93 oct
APR TIP
APR TBP
APR 2.5" TBE
N75J
Forge DV
K&N drop in
BF SMIC (in a week or so)
Neuspeed Pancake replacement
---------
Daily driver, lots o traffic, must have stock like reliability, no racing, adult driven
---------
My concerns, even though they have somewhat been addressed...
APR Kit- Broken rods, cost (not afford it but worth it), Almost 100% need an LSD, Need's a cat and downpipe welding and fitting and may require replacement of my APR 2.5" DP. Too much power for a daily, **Flame suit on** ?
Pro-imports kit- Ok.. none that I can think of other than I don't know anything about Revo.
To add to this debacle.. Pro-imports is about 30 minutes from me and NGP (APR dealer) is an hour from me. Both have great service and well.. damnit.. this is difficult

So.. post post post your experiences. I have researched the eliminator turbos and feel that they are not inline with a true "kit" like the two above so please refrain from commenting one them. I'd love experience and informative comments on both APR and PI kits. and yes yes yes I have, to those who love to reply with "search"
Please add to the pro/cost list as well.
Ready set post!
Thanks guys

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: APR Stage III/(+) vs Pro-Imports Eliminator (trogdor337)

Title should read equalizer not eliminator. oops

·
Registered
8,717 Posts

if you want REAL power than APR...if you don't care THAT much about REAL power ( which you stated you don't race ) than save yourself a lot of money and get the equalizer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: APR Stage III/(+) vs Pro-Imports Eliminator (GT-ER)

Yeah.. You are the voice of reason ringing in. Makes more sense I guess.. saves me $3500 up front and maybe more if the rods decide to give up. I really wish APR had a more middle of the road setup. The K04-01 is not happening. They did respond to my questions about TT225 Non-VVT software for this kit but were not sure if it would work. I'm just worried about the Revo software. APR has been solid so far!
Thanks for your opinion http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,676 Posts

Get the Stg3 regular if you are that worried about the power being to much to handle.

·
Banned
1,015 Posts

i've owned one , driven and installed both.
they don't even belong in the same conversation.

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
Re: APR Stage III/(+) vs Pro-Imports Eliminator (grocery gett3r)

Quote, originally posted by grocery gett3r »

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: APR Stage III/(+) vs Pro-Imports Eliminator (under boost)

i am interested in the comparison and your thoughts on:
"APR St. III+ vs. Pro Imports ELIMINATOR"
i will be buying an B6 Audi Avant 1.8T and don't know which kit to get!!
help pleeeeease!!
my goal:
i want at least 250 WHP, 1/4 in the low 13's, stock internals

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Re: APR Stage III/(+) vs Pro-Imports Eliminator (monmon18)

Quote, originally posted by monmon18 »
i am interested in the comparison and your thoughts on:
"APR St. III+ vs. Pro Imports ELIMINATOR"
i will be buying an B6 Audi Avant 1.8T and don't know which kit to get!!
help pleeeeease!!
my goal:
i want at least 250 WHP, 1/4 in the low 13's, stock internals

250WHP does not equal low 13's, lol. Not even close, especially in a boat like that...

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

If you're just looking to have fun...and not worry too much about power...go with the k04. It should put you in the 13's if not 12's if you do some massive tuning and weight reduction... A guy with the GIAC software (that just came out BTW) ran a 13.2 at 102mph wih slicks...and 250lbs of weight reduction.
I don't have the full kit from Pro-Imports but I did piece it together with a few tid bits from them and here and there...but still came out cheaper and about half the price.
Also, like another vortex member said the k04-20 serries is like a k03s but more efficient. Has more high end and still keeps that low end tq. I'd like to call the k04-20 a Medium turbo
Has more high end (doesn't fall flat on it's face after 5k) that your tiny stock k03s but still doens't have that high end kick of a gt series turbo, or t3s60 or something along the lines of that. I'd say this is the missing link between k03s and BT.

The only downside is that since it's a torquey...you can possible bend rods and all that nice stuff b/c of boost spikes... There has only been 1 account for that on a k04-20 and that was b/c the shop that did his work put it on the highest setting you could on revo which is setting 9 (which is pretty much only for going to the drags and what not). The guy daily drove like that with out knowing and ended up blowing it up...
Other than that there isn't really much wrong with this...all you'd probalby need is a mbc to control spikes but you don't even need that. When I didn't have one it wouldn't really spike more than 1-2 psi over where it'd sit...But I'm still running a Overboost MBC in overboost mode so I can have a little more protection.
Hopefully that all made sense it's 340AM here in Washington and I can't manage to get to sleep.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Which did you own? I'm assuming III+. The reason that they DO belong in the same conversation is that I need good information on both kits. When you drove the equalizer kit what did you think? Was it like driving a typical TT225? Did you have terrible wheelspin problems since it did not have an LSD? How about the III+ kit. Would you consider it a candidate for a daily or is it just the perfect 1.8T drag/autocross kit with some weekend driving. All I'm getting at here is that several of us are willing to pony up and pay several thousand dollars for a turbo upgrade/kit. I would like to go as far as the stock internals and 6-speed transmission will handle.
So.. if you have owned, driven, installed both/all of them then please post with some good informaiton. Your advice will be very much appreciated

·
Registered
6,676 Posts

Your stock tranny and motor will handle Stg3+ without issue good for around 300whp, race gas and or boost controler set to higher than specified boost will shorten the life of the rods.
A chipped 225TT and APR Stg3 car are not even close as far as straight line performance goes, I own and drive both daily.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Re: APR Stage III/(+) vs Pro-Imports Eliminator (Wolk's Wagon)

I'll chime in, grocery gett3r had a stage III on his car and then installed and drove my ko4-20 kit. I can't speak of the stage III, but I can answer questions about the ko4-20.
I would say the ko4-20 is like getting you car chipped again. It's very useable power and full boost (20 psi) comes on by 3100 rpm. It's all OEM parts that are readily available thru your local Audi/VW dealer. I went to the track and ran a 13.2 @ 102 (slicks) on GIAC software (yes, they have ko4-20 software). I had race gas in the tank but ran that # on the pump gas setting. I have a stock clutch and diff. One of you concerns is wheel spin. On street tires, I definitely spin the tires when boost kicks in. It is easily controled by driver input tho, as the turbo is not as spikey as the ko3s. I have a clutch on the way, because the day at the track wasted my stock clutch. Overall, I am pleased with the way the car feels.
I do however want more power already. Not becasue this isn't enough, but it's not enough for me.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts

Thanks

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Re: APR Stage III/(+) vs Pro-Imports Eliminator (SloGLS)

Quote, originally posted by SloGLS »
I'll chime in, grocery gett3r had a stage III on his car and then installed and drove my ko4-20 kit. I can't speak of the stage III, but I can answer questions about the ko4-20.
I would say the ko4-20 is like getting you car chipped again. It's very useable power and full boost (20 psi) comes on by 3100 rpm. It's all OEM parts that are readily available thru your local Audi/VW dealer. I went to the track and ran a 13.2 @ 102 (slicks) on GIAC software (yes, they have ko4-20 software). I had race gas in the tank but ran that # on the pump gas setting. I have a stock clutch and diff. One of you concerns is wheel spin. On street tires, I definitely spin the tires when boost kicks in. It is easily controled by driver input tho, as the turbo is not as spikey as the ko3s. I have a clutch on the way, because the day at the track wasted my stock clutch. Overall, I am pleased with the way the car feels.
I do however want more power already. Not becasue this isn't enough, but it's not enough for me.

Never enough...

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Re: APR Stage III/(+) vs Pro-Imports Eliminator (GT-ER)

Nope, will never be enough
Wish I would have gone super60 with my first upgrade. The only problem is a am partial to GIAC and they don't have software for that turbo.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Well.. today was my lucky day. Turns out that the Stage III+ video on the APR site was shot at Autothority from what I understand. One of the form members actually owns the Blue 20th in the video. He was kind enough to stop by and let me ride and drive his APR III+ 20th, NICE.. smooth.. useable power. Yeah.. I will need a clutch but he does not have an LSD and the car is still VERY VERY driveable. Tons of power.. and suprisingly stock smooth at part throttle. Its much smoother than my APR 93 K03s program. WOW!
So.. I will purchase the III+ kit and have it installed at Autothority in Alexandria Va... no doubt about it.
Thanks for your input guys! And here is a plug for the guys site that let me drive the 20th III+
http://www.eurorods.tv/
Cheers!

·
Registered
10,808 Posts

Quote, originally posted by trogdor337 »

So.. I will purchase the III+ kit and have it installed at Autothority in Alexandria Va... no doubt about it.
Cheers!

ummm i thought they went out of business. also i heard they will charge an arm and a leg. do a quick search.

·
Banned
3,371 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SloGLS »
Nope, will never be enough
Wish I would have gone super60 with my first upgrade. The only problem is a am partial to GIAC and they don't have software for that turbo.

now that you have the sw...it will handle more than a s60. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: APR Stage III/(+) vs Pro-Imports Eliminator (beachball6)

Nope.. still in business.. thats for sure. They do high end stuff for the most part. Im usually the only VW in the place... surrounded by Mercedes and Porsches.. tons of them. They do very good work. Yeah.. they are a bit pricy but...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts