VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have Audi fans here, so here is a rare little glimpse into Audi's distant past, and the US-debut of the company's game-changer for all intents and purposes, at least in the American market, the 1978 5000. I worked for an Audi dealership back then, and believe me, these cars sold like hotcakes in the wealthy SW Chicago suburbs where I worked. Audi hit a major homerun with these babies.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Re: Archive - 1978 Audi 5000 (vwlarry)

Paging DUTCHMANia... he has one of these in white.

Modified by CosmicTDI at 2:47 PM 6-18-2009

·
Registered
8,632 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Archive - 1978 Audi 5000 (ROCK AND ROLL CHEVY)

Quote, originally posted by ROCK AND ROLL CHEVY »

I don't think it has enough vents on the dash.

If you read the text of the brochure, you will note that Audi heavily promoted the new 5000's high-performance "American style" HVAC system. German cars prior to this very model had been equipped with some of the most miserable and low-powered A/C systems in history, and their reputation for this had been catching up with them in the marketplace, especially during this time when the former "rare luxury item" that A/C used to be for years was becoming a virtual must on any new car, and buyers were making their decisions based on the ability of a car to provide a comfortable environment in hot climates. The 5000's dash was very functional and simple, and the array of vents was actually a pretty nice feature, IMO. For once, the Germans decided to do some "over acheiving" in the area of comfort and convenience, and it did them well in the marketplace.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
There were a TON of them in the late 70's and early 80's...all of which have practically disappeared (and all of them had taillight issues after a few years or so).
Two things that strike me....one was back then manufacturers liked to quote 0-50 times rather than the typical 0-60 times to make the car seem quicker (and get into the sub 10 second range). And I also remember Fiat taking a shot at Audi when they introduced the 1978 1/2 Super Brava (131 Supermirafiori to the rest of the world) by stating it was the '$5000 car with the $8000 interior'

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Jamblastx)

Unfortunately, these cars tended to rust at an alarming rate, just like any other European car from the '70s, and they had mostly dissolved into scrap after about 10-15 years of life, at least in the saltbelt regions of the US. The dimming-taillamp issue you mentioned was easily repaired in about 2 minutes, with nothing more than a piece of emery cloth or sandpaper. The push-on connector in the trunk for both rear light units, located beneath the LH unit, corroded slowly over several years, until the conductivity was so compromised that the lamps would begin "dimming out" which was a VERY commonplace occurrence with 5000s. By pulling the connector and roughing-up the spades with sandpaper, and then pushing the connector back on and off several times, the problem was usually fixed, at least for a few more years of driving.
The early 5000s, unfortunately, were a virtual hornet's nest of mechanical and electrical gremlins. I could tell Audi 5000 horror stories from the service department's POV, but that would ruin the love for these otherwise very nice cars.

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
Re: (Jamblastx)

The 0-50 mph times were commonly used during the days of a national US speed limit of 55 mph. The manufacturers weren't keen on promoting exceeding of speed limits...

Quote, originally posted by Jamblastx »
....one was back then manufacturers liked to quote 0-50 times rather than the typical 0-60 times to make the car seem quicker (and get into the sub 10 second range).

For what it's worth, I quickly remember a half-dozen of our C2 Audis from my teenage years, including the first two back in Finland before our move to Canada.
1977 Audi 100 5S
1977 Audi 100 5E
1978 Audi 5000 S
1980 Audi 5000 Diesel 5-speed
1981 Audi 5000 T
1983 Audi 5000 TD (w/ freewheeling "E" auto trans)
I received my licence back in 1980, so I have my fair share of memories of those cars, some of the driving type and other of the parking type.

·
Registered
15,306 Posts

Good looking car. I tried getting one of these as my first car but the deal fell through.
Here's one from the New England Dustoff this year, although it's a newer vintage

·
Super Moderator
7,183 Posts
FV-QR

Oooooh Larry, you bring back some memories.
I learned how to drive manual on one of these. It was a diesel, '80 or '81 I think. My uncle thought it was amusing to take me, my dad, and my cousin out in this. He was a former offensive lineman, so four up, in a 69 hp diesel if I remember, with four big guys in the car, in the middle of summer with the a/c blasting. Then we'd drive through hilly suburban Philly. Every stop light felt like the end of the world with those guys busting my chops

He replaced it with a turbodiesel version, that thing felt like a Veyron after the naturally aspirated diesel.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Re: Archive - 1978 Audi 5000 (CoolJetta3)

Quote, originally posted by CoolJetta3 »
Good looking car. I tried getting one of these as my first car but the deal fell through.
Here's one from the New England Dustoff this year, although it's a newer vintage

This is a 4000 (80 in Europe)

·
Registered
19 Posts

So on the last page, it says "Porsche + Audi". What was the relationship between those 2 companies at that time?

·
Registered
26,695 Posts
Re: Archive - 1978 Audi 5000 (astoddard)

I believe the car in the top ad is Agate Brown.
If it is, it would be a twin to the 1978 5000 (note: not a 5000S) on which I taught myself to drive a manual transmission.
A friend who owned it moved to England, and three days prior he was hit on the driver's side by a guy who ran a stop sign. Insurance company didn't want to deal with it so they cashed him out--and gave him the car back. He gave it to me with a vague "eh, I dunno if you can sell it, but if you can just send me whatever you get for it".
I kept it for a number of months, driving the crap out of it. It was VERY old and tired, but ran like a champ to the minute I sold it.
I've always had a soft spot for Audi 5cyl cars. I've had 4 of them--one of which had a VW emblem. Such a great sounding engine.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Archive - 1978 Audi 5000 (astoddard)

Quote, originally posted by astoddard »
So on the last page, it says "Porsche + Audi". What was the relationship between those 2 companies at that time?

Volkswagen of America was the American distributor of Porsche vehicles at that time. Dealerships were "dualled" into Porsche and Audi stores, thus the "Porsche+Audi" logo. To this day I still think of them with that "+" sign between them. IIRC Porsche left VWoA and became Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) in around 1983 or so, right about the time Porsche AG named Peter Schutz, an American as its Director.

·
Registered
15,306 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwlarry »

Volkswagen of America was the American distributor of Porsche vehicles at that time. Dealerships were "dualled" into Porsche and Audi stores, thus the "Porsche+Audi" logo. To this day I still think of them with that "+" sign between them. IIRC Porsche left VWoA and became Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) in around 1983 or so, right about the time Porsche AG named Peter Schutz, an American as its Director.

I remember my grandfather worked at Lathrop Porsche+Audi in Groton CT back in the 70s. My mother still has one of his cards somewhere that had his nickname "Sweet Sam" Clayton. Dealership closed down sometime in the 80s and now the building is a Mitsubishi dealership.
Boredom at work has led me to do a search and it still comes up as a dealership with a phone number but the Mitsubishi dealership is listed at the same address and different phone number. whatever this localcardealers.com site is is way out of date, even has the VW dealer listed which is now the location of a restaurant.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Re: Archive - 1978 Audi 5000 (CoolJetta3)

Quote, originally posted by CoolJetta3 »

As said above a 4000, but not any 4000. It's an 84 4000 Quattro, only available for one year in that body style (early B2).
Back on the 5000 topic, I saw one of the older "believe it or not reality" TV shows (could be Ripleys, or whatever else), when a small plane had the landing gear stuck inside one of the wings and a 5000 Turbo came to the rescue. The car got on the runway, they opened the sunroof, the passenger was standing up on the seat ant the plane flew literally 2 feet above the speeding Audi, while this guy was pulling on the landing gear gate and finally got it opened, so the plane could safely land...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts