VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI with the full Shine Racing suspension.
I'm considering some RS4 17" replicas, but I'm concerned that the ride will suffer too much. Has anyone with Shine kit gone to 17" and regretted it?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Re: Are 17" too large for my car? (danix)

danix, check out this old thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=519803
I think on page 5, there's a post by pyce on his experiences running 17's on his full Shine suspension setup. In short, he stated his ride quality was so bad, he pulled the 17's off. Same experience as I had, and as I posted on Fred's for you. With my full Shine suspension and Shine rear bar, my ride was the worst I have ever experienced on any car. Trust me, you don't want to run 17's with your full Shine suspension, unless you like your fillings falling out...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: Are 17" too large for my car? (dlai)

Dlai, now I haven't picked out a suspension setup yet but did go ahead with the group buy on the RS4 replicas. As long as I have a subtle suspension setup is it ok to assume that I'll be fine with the 17's? All I'm looking for is better ride and handling qualities and maintaining a nice fender gap with the 17's (ie not slammed).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Re: Are 17" too large for my car? (roka1.8T)

I would guess you would be fine. With the Shine, it's the first time I've had to back down on wheel size to preserve some ride quality. On my Golf turbo and my BMW, I've had no problems at all with a lowered suspension and 17 and 18 inch wheels. If you know someone who could loan you some 17s to try out, that would be great. Or, find someone who has the same setup you're thinking about and either ride in their car or get some input from them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts