VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's I want to buy a 1997 Jetta GT and Mayyyyybe put a turbo in the future. Now I want to know from people who have them wat kind of power do you have, do you drive it alot, and wat are the common problems with them. Thanks
and can I see the set up pics. I did the search

·
Registered
538 Posts
Re: Are 2.0 Turbo reliable cars. (BORA RSI)

Yes, have had mine for who knows how long and still going at 140k http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif. There are certain things such as the sunroof or MAF sensor which are not as reliable http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BORA RSI »
Hi guy's I want to buy a 1997 Jetta GT and Mayyyyybe put a turbo in the future. Now I want to know from people who have them wat kind of power do you have, do you drive it alot, and wat are the common problems with them. Thanks
and can I see the set up pics. I did the search

Try checking out the forced induction forum. There is a lot of info to be had there. Yes they can be reliable. I just did the turbo swap a few months ago and love it but need to spend more time with tuning it. The key is to get it tuned right.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Are 2.0 Turbo reliable cars. (Carbuncle)

Quote »
There are certain things such as the sunroof or MAF sensor which are not as reliable

MAF sensors are POS's on ALL MK3's, turbo or not. I've never had a problem with my sunroof, though.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
you know what they say, you can pick two: cheap, reliable or fast

·
Registered
583 Posts

I have a 2.0 turbo and went through a head gasket which I Expected, so double stacked the metal oem gasket and ARP head studs and has been running good since, and at 7 lbs dynoed the car with 170 whp & 183 wtq. Plan and boosting 10 to 12 psi soon. hope that helps
Oh yeah, Daily Driver.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Re: Are 2.0 Turbo reliable cars. (A3jetta2.0T)

Running around 15psi daily on mine.
Just have someone tune the air/fuel after initial setup and you should be fine. The only thing is to check clamps on boost tubes and bolts on manifold to see if anything comes loose once and awhile.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts

I've had mine for almost 2 years I think and I boost 10psi on stock internals and have had no problems since.
I would say they are very reliable. And if you do blow it up, ABA's are a dime a dozen for dirt cheap and easy to rebuild. Go for it! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
301 Posts
for you guys with the setups already done. im at the point that im almost sure imma go boost, but i still have a few silly questions...
Do all you guys have stand alone? can i get away with sending out my chip to get reprogrammed and run with that for a while? Fuel management is my biggest concern...
Also, you guys recommend a kit from EIP or ATP, or save the money and get a custom setup (i have a friend who partly owns a junk yard)...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Re: (YucA305)

I have been turbocharged for about 4 1/2 or 5 years. I started with an early ATP Stage I kit and then upgraded as more parts became available. I ran about 4 lbs of boost for a year or so, 8 lbs for a couple years, and I've been running 13-14 lbs for almost two years. When I went to the higher boost, I took my car to Autothority and had the ECU custom programmed on their dyno. I could have gone stand-alone but made the decision not to. I have had a couple problems over the years but they were due to design problems on the early kits. ATP replaced the items at no cost to me when the newer versions were released. I love my car and still drive it daily when the weather permits. If you do boost your motor, build the tranny with a bolt kit and limited slip at the very least. I broke two teeth off my input shaft and learned the hard way. I don't abuse my car but our transmissions are not designed to handle the extra power. These are my opinions only.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts