VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Well, Me and my 16V are in that picture ^^ that was taken at ND in May of 2000. My MK1 was at home that day/not at that event however.

This is another picture that was taken about the same time as your picture in the first post:

Ken (MK2 on the left) sold his car some time back but I see posts from him sometimes.
Daun is still running Cincy and is active with both MK1s and MK2s.
Ian Still has his 16V (his 16V is your picture) and he just got it running after it sat for a year.
TBerk is still posting.
Mike Potter sold his MK1.

To see more click this link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=182383331802749&l=1710163041235377930

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
The same HOT day:

Saturday at the hotel the same weekend:

How about Tim's car back at the shop from 98???

And we all Know:

98:

97:

2001:

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
I would have been just venturing into the other coast's GTGs at that point, and I still have/drive the car I had back then, with two others. Additionally I am not a guy. And Dawn is Daun. ;) One day I will get to the west coast GTGs. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
original at the begining

Oh! I thought you meant when the Scirocco was launched in late 74 as a 75 model.....that would be ME.

original from 1990? I'd only built about 28 of them by then......;)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Oh! I thought you meant when the Scirocco was launched in late 74 as a 75 model.....that would be ME.

original from 1990? I'd only built about 28 of them by then......;)
That is what I was thinking too. :)

@ punchbug, thanks, it was late and I knew it was one of the two but then I just used the W after typing the U first.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
That was Yarrow's MK1. I had to fix / replace / fabricate his clutch cable roadside (stuck in the middle of the state at a gas station with no service) on the way up to ND. It was a total MacGyver repair with tools and objects I found at a local tractor supply store (we even had to find the store that was about 5 miles away). The pedal interface part was the most difficult part to make work. I uses a turnbuckle plate end with pin that I sleeve pressed to the cable. You can see the receipt for all the parts under the cable cutter tool. Even if we could drive to a VW/Audi dealer the OE parts would not be available for that car. The OE cable was rare in Germany and on back order. Yarrow asked Dirk to get one for him months earlier because Yarrow wanted to have a spare. Dirk was on the trip with us and told us that the cable was on back order in Germany and he could not get it in time to bring on the trip.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, Me and my 16V are in that picture ^^ that was taken at ND in May of 2000. My MK1 was at home that day/not at that event however.

This is another picture that was taken about the same time as your picture in the first post:

Ken (MK2 on the left) sold his car some time back but I see posts from him sometimes.
Daun is still running Cincy and is active with both MK1s and MK2s.
Ian Still has his 16V (his 16V is your picture) and he just got it running after it sat for a year.
TBerk is still posting.
Mike Potter sold his MK1.

To see more click this link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=182383331802749&l=1710163041235377930
Good info! It's good to see you, Ian, and TBerk still around.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I rode along in Randy's car that day.
I think you are thinking about the Saturday run.

That picture (of the flash silver 16V on the side of the road with Yarrow's car behind hood up) was taken on Friday in 2001 driving HWY 1 from So Cal to ND. We stopped to adjust the clutch cable on Yarrow's car about an hour after it was fabricated roadside with bits and bops. After that minor adjustment the cable was good and I think it is still working today (as of 2005 or so).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.