VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, watching the Olympics for the nth time, I was more than ever struck by the (personal, idiosyncratic) notion that athletes are exceptionally beautiful.

Of course, most of them simply are well-trained, have muscle definition, and lack excess body fat, etc. But, more generally, they are also beautiful as far as their faces and their general expressions go. Of course, as always, there are exceptions - but particularly field-and-track participants, especially runners (up to ~800 meters for women, and perhaps ~1,500 meters for men) appear to be way more above-average than most (and likely others well-rounded, like heptathlon and decathlon athletes, e.g.).

Some of this might be explained by symmetry both signalling attractiveness and being an indicator of a healthy and diverse gene set, or the fact that everyone tends to surround themselves with beautiful people - including coaches.

Do you agree? What's your opinion?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wouldn't say they're all "exceptionally" beautiful, but yeah, in general they are all very pleasant to look at. I'm sure the cut bodies have a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Well, there isn't an event for cheetah eating or one for cigarette smoking at the Olympics. People who take care of themselves tend to look better for that reason. Take any Olympic athlete and put them on a year long cake binge and they'll be just as ugly as the rest of us.

·
Banned
36,395 Posts
Well, there isn't an event for cheetah eating or one for cigarette smoking at the Olympics. People who take care of themselves tend to look better for that reason. Take any Olympic athlete and put them on a year long cake binge and they'll be just as ugly as the rest of us.
Yup.

Not just Olympic level athletes either. Anyone who'd been active most of their lives tend to look tons better, compared to those who haven't.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I find women athletes and those who work out more attractive, in general.
I chopped out my face. Yes/no? I run 4-5x a week so my legs are toned too, but they aren't big at all.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you.

Haha I saw that "bacardi breezer" on a plastic cup at a friend's house years ago when I was like 18 and I thought the alliteration was nice, so I use it sometimes.

·
Registered
38,957 Posts
I wouldn't say they're all "exceptionally" beautiful, but yeah, in general they are all very pleasant to look at. I'm sure the cut bodies have a lot to do with it.
I was going to chime in on the fitness. That's definitely has a part of it. They are also young, which in itself can't hurt.

It's a group of people, I'm sure their attractiveness is all over the scale. There are plenty of butterfaces (and buthisfaces), we are just distracted with their performance and their fitness to stop and take a really good look.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was going to chime in on the fitness. That's definitely has a part of it. They are also young, which in itself can't hurt.

It's a group of people, I'm sure their attractiveness is all over the scale. There are plenty of butterfaces (and buthisfaces), we are just distracted with their performance and their fitness to stop and take a really good look.
There are some with just downright gorgeous faces where you have to stop and look. But you can find just as many people out there on the street who work out all the time and have nice faces. The issue I guess is that 2/3 of people are overweight so it does make it seem more like a rarity.

·
Registered
46,441 Posts
Go watch some of the weightlifting or hammer/discus/shotput events and then get back to us. Especially the women's events.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts