VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I hate judging people based on looks...but I don't find that many of Rio 2016's female athletes to be that attractive. Maybe Aly Raisman, Madison Kocian, and this will be weird but April Ross, and that is it. Still have the utmost respect for pretty much all of them, however.

Edit: And Adeline Gray.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
23,931 Posts
Yeah, she pretty much has the perfect body. As per the pic posted, I think I look really fit, but when I see her, I feel like flabby lol. I don't know if I can or want to get to such a low % of body fat to show 6/8 pack but I'm always working at it.
Most women feel that way when they see her.

6%...yikes!

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,690 Posts
I don't know if you guys have watched much diving, but the 3m springboard was great... Especially the one camera angle from the back :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Awful lot of butterface in the Olympics tbh.

And I like a toned woman but not vascular/beefy armed. There's something masculine about traps/big triceps and biceps that skeeves me out.

I prefer the yoga bod, it's more feminine. Still toned and muscular just not bulging like a dude. (my wife is a yoga teacher).
When I'm not flexing, I don't look as "masculine". However, I'm not here to impress anyone. We'll never meet in person, you're married, I'm gay. I work my ass off to look the way *I* want to and I'm proud of that. All that said...I'll never be in the Olympics :laugh: :beer:

·
Registered
22,278 Posts
When I'm not flexing, I don't look as "masculine". However, I'm not here to impress anyone. We'll never meet in person, you're married, I'm gay. I work my ass off to look the way *I* want to and I'm proud of that. All that said...I'll never be in the Olympics :laugh: :beer:
Hey, don't take that as a slight against you in any way. I didn't think you looked masculine, I was just speaking in general.

And that's just my opinion. Keep working your ass off and doing your thing. :thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
11,817 Posts
There is a nice reddit sub for great looking olympians, but I'd rather not get banned for linking it. Sorry to be a tease, but just insert an "H" between the O and Lympics. As in, Ohlympics for those of you who can't do the math.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey, don't take that as a slight against you in any way. I didn't think you looked masculine, I was just speaking in general.

And that's just my opinion. Keep working your ass off and doing your thing. :thumbup::beer:
Sorry, then. I've gotten comments along those lines in person - a lot of men get terribly insecure around women who look like they can pick up heavier things than them :cool: :p

·
Registered
22,278 Posts
Sorry, then. I've gotten comments along those lines in person - a lot of men get terribly insecure around women who look like they can pick up heavier things than them :cool: :p
Not like that at all for me, it's an appearance thing. Some guys like girls' butts. Others like fun bags. Some men love hips/curves/thin, others love thin. It's just along those lines, that's all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Personally, strong and athletic is much more attractive than thin and waifish. I like it that women who are athletic can do a lot of what I like to.
Though there is a limit to that for me, freakish body builders need not apply.

·
Registered
697 Posts
So, watching the Olympics for the nth time, I was more than ever struck by the (personal, idiosyncratic) notion that athletes are exceptionally beautiful.

Of course, most of them simply are well-trained, have muscle definition, and lack excess body fat, etc. But, more generally, they are also beautiful as far as their faces and their general expressions go. Of course, as always, there are exceptions - but particularly field-and-track participants, especially runners (up to ~800 meters for women, and perhaps ~1,500 meters for men) appear to be way more above-average than most (and likely others well-rounded, like heptathlon and decathlon athletes, e.g.).

Some of this might be explained by symmetry both signalling attractiveness and being an indicator of a healthy and diverse gene set, or the fact that everyone tends to surround themselves with beautiful people - including coaches.

Do you agree? What's your opinion?

I wonder if there is some selection -- conscious or unconscious -- for looks, in the selection of people to represent their countries.

It would surprise me if it wasn't a factor in at least several of the events -- gymnastics comes immediately to mind.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Go watch some of the weightlifting or hammer/discus/shotput events and then get back to us. Especially the women's events.
... "Of course, as always, there are exceptions - but particularly field-and-track participants, especially runners (up to ~800 meters for women, and perhaps ~1,500 meters for men) appear to be way more above-average than most (and likely others well-rounded, like heptathlon and decathlon athletes, e.g.)."

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I wonder if there is some selection -- conscious or unconscious -- for looks, in the selection of people to represent their countries.

It would surprise me if it wasn't a factor in at least several of the events -- gymnastics comes immediately to mind.
Of course there is, that was part of my point - even in swimming and diving and volleyball and handball and football ("soccer"), etc.

In the end though, my question was a bit deeper.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts