VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
It's something that just happens. Kinda like Sunday morning, but different.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Some pre-selected avatars have vanished from the selection list, but still exist on the forum server. Like the one I currently have :
I'd like to switch to :
, but that one has vanished from the selection list as well.

There are easy ways to check if a GIF is animated or not... but certainly the size constraint limits a lot there already. But of course, limiting to JPG means you've got less room to play with for an avatar (byte to byte, GIF is much more efficient for avatars).

·
Administrator
19,739 Posts
Some pre-selected avatars have vanished from the selection list, but still exist on the forum server. Like the one I currently have :
I'd like to switch to :
, but that one has vanished from the selection list as well.

There are easy ways to check if a GIF is animated or not... but certainly the size constraint limits a lot there already. But of course, limiting to JPG means you've got less room to play with for an avatar (byte to byte, GIF is much more efficient for avatars).
Not sure what's going on, but I was able to go into your profile and select the A3 avatar...

·
Registered
15 Posts
This seems unneccessarily draconian.

Was it really a big problem when users could set their own custom avatars? Other forums don't seem to have issues in that department.

For me, personally, my online presence is somewhat defined by the screenname and avatar I've been using for years across all forums. It's a little weird to not be able to use it on just one forum.

EDIT: I laughed, but... Seriously. Is this all just some kind of mod/admin power trip?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Was it really a big problem when users could set their own custom avatars? Other forums don't seem to have issues in that department.

For me, personally, my online presence is somewhat defined by the screenname and avatar I've been using for years across all forums. It's a little weird to not be able to use it on just one forum.

EDIT: I laughed, but... Seriously. Is this all just some kind of mod/admin power trip?
Wait a minute... :confused:
You joined back in 2012 but as of this post, you have only 3 forum posts to your name? And you're complaining about lack of user settable custom avatars? :facepalm:

About your question, admins/mods set the rules and can really do whatever they want. Membership here is a privilege, not a right, like having a driver's license. You tick 'em off, and... LOL.

It probably goes without saying, but it looks like the premise is, you participate enough here and get along with others, you can have a custom avatar upon request. This helps control the "riff raff" chaos that could otherwise happen, like questionable content or obnoxiously active GIF's.
Otherwise they'd be too busy sending the firemen out to burn 'em down. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wait a minute...
You joined back in 2012 but as of this post, you have only 3 forum posts to your name? And you're complaining about lack of user settable custom avatars? :facepalm:
Didn't have a VW at that point, felt no need to post regularly. If you look at my posts, I joined basically to participate in one discussion thread at that point. Now, I have a VW, so I do plan to be more active.

About your question, admins/mods set the rules and can really do whatever they want. Membership here is a privilege, not a right, like having a driver's license. You tick 'em off, and... LOL.
My post was phrased with respect and genuine curiosity. I don't think I "ticked off" anyone, but clearly, somebody decided to have fun with me. I'm a good sport, no harm done, but it is a very middle school response.

It probably goes without saying, but it looks like the premise is, you participate enough here and get along with others, you can have a custom avatar upon request. This helps control the "riff raff" chaos that could otherwise happen, like questionable content or obnoxiously active GIF's.
Otherwise they'd be too busy sending the firemen out to burn 'em down.
Why here, though, and not on other forums? What makes the Vortex or its admin/mod team special in that department? This is the only forum (out of many) I'm on that doesn't allow custom avatars by default, and no other forums seem to have frequent (if any) issues with avatars. If the issue is GIFs—which my joke avatar seems to suggest isn't the issue—that should be an easy server-side fix, as alluded to above. So if that's not it... What is?

·
I had to ask....
2,222 Posts
I got to resurect this thread, because I see that people with less posts and newer join dates already earned their custom avatars, yet here I am still without one. Normally it wouldn't bother me, but if it's a thing of achievement then if those people qualify, all others should too.

·
Administrator
87,767 Posts
I got to resurect this thread, because I see that people with less posts and newer join dates already earned their custom avatars, yet here I am still without one. Normally it wouldn't bother me, but if it's a thing of achievement then if those people qualify, all others should too.
What avatar would you like?

·
Administrator
19,739 Posts
What avatar would you like?
@ Turbo II ... Choose your response very carefully. :laugh:

·
Registered
516 Posts
I try to warn people about nater, he is to avatars like the monkey's paw is to wishes. :laugh:
Ah yes... back when I was a teenager, I was in a summer production of "The Monkey's Paw"... so I know exactly what you're talking about. :sly:

Or one could say Loki...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts